Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMom2008

Going To Trader Joe's And Whole Foods Market

I just found out that our travels this weekend are going to take us right by a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods Market. We don't have either of these stores anywhere near us. I've read posts from others referencing these stores. Are there any items they carry that anyone really loves that we should be sure to pick up? Our health food store has some of the bigger name brand items like Tinkyada, Ancient Harvest, Glutino, but I'm so exicted about actually going to these two stores! Who would've thunk a year ago that I'd be planning a vacation stop at grocery stores! :lol:

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Whole Foods has a very extensive gluten free product listing. I can't remember if it's available on line or at the store itself. Don't forget to buy the frozen Praire Bread. It's the best loaf bread that I have tasted.

Happy vacation.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

One thing that I always stock up on when at TJ's is the wild and basmati rice blend. It has no seasoning, just the two rices and dried veggies that add flavor. I use it for so many things, like stuffed peppers and popcupine meatballs and a chicken recipe and rice salad with fruit and nuts. It's flavorful and versitile and cooks up in 15 min.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I am totally addicted to TJ's gluten free pancakes. They are in the freezer section.

Both stores have gluten-free beef jerky.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Trader Joes has new gluten-free ginger cookies that are just amazing. TJ's brown rice tortillas, nom. They also have a gluten-free granola that is on the sweet side, but very yummy.

Whole Foods has their line of gluten-free baked goods. I like the biscuits and the scones. On the pricey side, but yummy. Also the lemon/poppy seed muffins are to die for when heated up for 20 seconds in the microwave.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Get the Trader Joe's gluten-free brownie mix.

Extremely easy to bake... add water, oil, egg...and...

now I'm drooling. Best brownies in the whole world, I swear they are!!!

The bag the mix comes in is reusable, too... makes a nice lunch bag.

Get the Trader Joe's gluten-free brownie mix.

Extremely easy to bake... add water, oil, egg...and...

now I'm drooling. Best brownies in the whole world, I swear they are!!!

The bag the mix comes in is reusable, too... makes a nice lunch bag.

I agree. They are quite possibly the best gluten-free food available IMHO. My husband prefers them over gluten brownies. I've taken them to parties on several occasions and never bothered to mention they were gluten-free and everyone commented on how good they were.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

I agree. They are quite possibly the best gluten-free food available IMHO. My husband prefers them over gluten brownies. I've taken them to parties on several occasions and never bothered to mention they were gluten-free and everyone commented on how good they were.

Yeah, I've tried to explain to people that when it comes to many gluten-free brownies, they compensate for the "gluten free taste" with MORE chocolate. Therefore, they are better. :)

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Trader Joe's has the best prices on dairy free drinks if you need those--soy, rice, and almond milk. They also have almond butter, cashew butter, and good prices on roasted/salted nuts--I eat a lot of those for snacks. Whole Foods has Lundberg Rice Chips that are wonderful.

diagnosed with celiac disease in 2002--all test numbers off the charts

dairy free since 2000, soy free since 2007

other food intolerances: citrus, sesame, potatoes, corn, coffee

fibromyalgia, osteoporosis

Yes- I just made cookies using TJ's almond butter. Yum... their almond butter is only about $5. In most stores it costs $9 - $10.

~Amy

I really like the Trader Joe's Pancake and Waffle Mix and the Brownie Mix. Both delish. I also am addicted to their fruit and nut granola. All flavors are really good but that is my favorite. Their frozen waffles are really good too. The original ones and the banana ones-but make sure they are the gluten free ones because they're usually right next to the regular ones. Trader Joe's has great prices on frozen fruit too!

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

Thanks, everyone! We went wild at both stores. And as an added bonus, there as a woman there who heard us talking about gluten free to the clerk and her daughter wrote a cookbook that she happened to have in the car. We bought one from her! Obviously I haven't tried any recipes yet, but it was full of good info for a newbie like myself plus the recipes. I'm looking forward to trying some new things.

Thanks again!