This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Making Pudding "dirt Cups" & Need Ideas

Esther Sparhawk

Esther Sparhawk Contributor

My daughter's kindergarten teacher is doing a fun reading project, where the kids read a book (I think it might be The Hungry Caterpillar or something) and eat pudding "Dirt Cups". She contacted me today to let me prepare something comparable for my gluten-free daughter.

So here's what a normal "Dirt Cup" contains:

Jell-O Pudding

crushed Oreo Cookies over the pudding

Gummy Worms on top

Cute, huh? :D

So what brands of Gummy Worms are trustworthy? Another celiac.com thread on Gummy Worms mentioned that some celiacs have gotten sick on Gummy Worms, and some brands of Gummy candies are coated with wheat to keep them from sticking together. Has anyone contacted a company to confirm gluten-free status of Gummy Worms? If so, which brands?

I understand Jell-O pudding is fine, but which brands of cookies can I use to substitute for Oreos? I think K-Toos wouldn't go soggy, but we can't ever find those locally. (We live in rural Idaho.) And I have to have the "Dirt Cup" by Monday. Most gluten-free cookies use rice flour, which would go soggy in the pudding, and the "Dirt Cup" needs to survive overnight. Please throw some ideas at me. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

Great Value Brand (Wal-Mart) gummy worms are OK . . . and say gluten free on the package by the ingredient/labeling info.

I'll have to think about the cookies.

Darn210 Enthusiast

What about using a few mini-chocolate chips instead of crumbled cookies?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Use the K-too's by Kinninnick, they are Oreos which are gluten free and very tasty. I love them.

avabellas-mom Newbie

I use New Morning Cocoa Crispy rice to make my daughter chocolate rice crispy treats. They might make a good dirt base for the cup if you smash them up. I live in California and get them at Whole Foods or Sprouts, so I don't know if you can find that brand where you live. Good luck!

Sarah

elonwy Enthusiast

You could also take some gluten-free chocolate bar and shave it with a grater. That could look like dirt.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i bought a package of Mi-Del cookies because i thought they would be the same as Oreo's. oh my, was i mistaken. they were so hard, i nearly chipped a tooth biting into one. BUT...that might be just what you need to not get soggy in the pudding!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Pamela's chocolate chocolate chunk cookies crushed would work good for the dirt.

Cinnamon Apprentice

Recipezaar has a recipe for gluten free oreos. They're great, taste just like oreos, though they were softer than real Oreos. They were time consuming to make, though you wouldn't have to make the cream filling. Open Original Shared Link

laurelfla Enthusiast

Oooh, yeah, I vote for Pamela's, if you can find them, because those cookies are RIDICULOUS! I can't stay out of them when they're around. I haven't seen them around here lately, but I have seen the same flavor in mini-cookies that would work well if you can find them.

If not, you could crumble up some brownie, which would look dirt-like and also not have to hold up and be crunchy.

I was thinking about Dirt the other day, now I'm going to have to make some! :D Good luck!

purple Community Regular

You could stir into the "choc fudge" pudding some Hershey's special dark cocoa to make it darker. Then grate some dark choc as elonwy said or sprinkle in the tiny, mini choc chips as Darn210 said. We live in the mtns. of Id. so I know how you feel. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get to the co-op last night :blink: Then shop and drive back home....

Archived