This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Cold Cereals

aldociao

aldociao Rookie

I thought I could trust Nature's Path's printed banner on their box of Corn Flakes that says "Gluten Free," with an exclamation mark added, I guess, to underscore their committment that you could trust this product to be truly gluten free. (Judging by their website and the quality of their many products, anyone would have to say that they are an outstanding company.) But I doubt that their Corn Flakes are gluten-free.

The reason? The first time I had them I got the runs right after--since being gluten-free this is my typical reaction to an accident. The second time: ditto. The third time (Isn't twice enough? you're probably thinking, and normally I would have agreed except that I happened to like this cereal and there are so few safe choices among cold cereals that I wanted to be absolutely sure. Well, I'm sure now. I sent an email to the company detailing my adventure with the cereal, and also asking why two other cereals of theirs--Rice Puffs and Corn Puffs that are not marked gluten-free, but are free of just about everything else and are so marked on the cellophane packages--cause me no problems. Though I do not like them as much--not at all, really--they are a quick and welcome change from the hot cereals.

This is their answer:

Hello,

Very odd indeed. The puffs are not marked gluten free

because of the chance of cross contamination. They

are made in a plant where other gluten containing grains

are puffed. The grain dust is significant and gets

into all products and there is no way to control the dust

except to not puff gluten containing grains. So it

would seem that something in the Cornflakes is causing a

reaction, not the gluten but maybe the sugar. If you

are used to eating a plain cereal without salt or sugar

and then eat something sweet it could be an osmotic

effect. Just a guess really.

Regards,

Michelle

Does anybody know what she is referring to by "an osmotic effect"? (Needless to say I am not eating anymore Puffs, even if there is no outer sign of possible innner damage.) The ingredients listed on the box (org. cornmeal, concentrated org. grape juice and sea salt) sound harmless enough, but I'm wondering if the warning: "May contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, or soy" could indicate the source of the problem. I have no trouble with peanuts or any tree nuts--I regularly eat almond and peanut butters, and drink gluten-free Edensoy Unsweetened. Maybe the soy if processed using barley enzymes may be the source of the problem. But wouldn't this be too slight a contamination to cause my reaction since I did not react to the Puffs that the company admits are being showered constantly with gluten dust from their other products.

Does anybody have a clue as to what is happening here? Could it be that Michelle has answered the puzzle without realizing it. She said the gluten dust "gets into all products." If this is so, why are the Corn Flakes considered gluten-free? (I will wait to respond to her message and ask her this until after I get some feedback, hopefully, to this post.) Does she mean by osmotic effect that the sugar in the cornflakes is possibly carrying the gluten dust deeper into the body than the Puffs can because they have no added sugar. I understand that some components of foods are said to have this ability. Is sugar one of them, especially grape sugar, which contains the simple sugar glucose? It sounded to me like Michelle knows more about this than she is willing to say. Just my gut feeling. --Aldo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Aldo,

Maybe the puffs are contaminated by being puffed in the same place as the wheat, but they do not consider the corn flakes contaminated since the corn flakes are made in a different plant. But consider this. There was a problem last year with the Natures Path/Envirokids cereals& bars being cross contaminated. since they are run on the same lines as the non-gluten-free cereals & bars, (the company never acknoledged it) and many celiacs were complaining about symptoms after eating their products. They are supposed to do random testing for gluten contamination, but the person hired to do that no longer worked there and they had not done testing for 6 months! I don't know if this is still the case, but I haven't eaten any of their products. I don't want to risk it. Even if they wash the lines in between batches, the first batch out on the line is likely to get a lot of contamination. Maybe your box of corn flakes was one of those boxes.

Or you could be having a reaction to something else. I've never heard of this "osmotic

effect" she is talking about, and you would think you would know if you were having a reaction to sugar!

I only eat the rice cereals (Erewhon brand Twice Rice, Pacific Grains Nutty Rice, Barbara's Puffin's) and I've not had any problems with any of them. Although I think Barbara's might have the same chance of being contaminated due to the fact that they are probably processed in the same plant with their other non-gluten-free cereals. And Barbara's Puffins have oat flour in them. I'm debating whether I should risk the oats or not. So I may cut those out as well.

The Twice Rice is just brown rice puffs, and brown rice krispies in a brown rice syrup and honey coating, and sea salt. Listed as gluten-free on the box.

The Nutty Rice is sort of like grape nuts, and is rice flour, rice bran, raisin juice concentrate, honey, and salt. Not listed as gluten-free on the box, but I don't know why.

sorry I couldn't be of more help.

God bless,

Mariann

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Aldo,

I suspect that Mariann's comments are right on target. If this is the same company that makes Gorilla Munch, I wouldn't touch their cold cereals with a ten-foot pole! My toddler had his worst gluten reaction since going gluten-free from a box of that cereal (and it wasn't primarily intestinal, it was a huge flare-up of eczema, so Michelle's theory wouldn't explain it--see below).

I think I understand what Michelle meant about an "osmotic effect." I think she was referring to the fact that some substances (I know salt is one, and she seems to think sugar is another, though I can't verify this) draw water out of body tissue and into the bowels. More water in the bowels leads to looser stools. It's a handy and convenient way to insist their cereal is harmless, but I doubt it has anything to do with your reactions!

I hope you're feeling better!

Guest Libbyk

gluten-free 4 life-

I responded poorly to the puffin's peanut butter cereal. It was kind of greasy (the oil from the peanuts?) so that may have been it, but I know I felt "off." I am too new at this (6 weeks) to have my reactions down to a science, but I know that the puffins felt bad to me.

Libby

kejohe Apprentice

Wow... I almost bought a bunch of the EnviroKids snack stuff for my son last week, but it was so expensive I decided against it. Now hearing all this about possible contamination, I am glad I put them back on the shelf.

My son eats Mothers Peanutbutter Bumpers cereal without any problems, and love them. The box doesn't say they are gluten-free, but there are no offending ingredients and he has had no reactions, so that may be another option for you.

The "osomotic" comment is weird, but I think that Sarah is correct. I know that salt and sugar are both diuretics (sp?) and that they do draw more water into the bowels as Sarah said, salt of course being the worst of these, but unless you are extremely sensitive to these I doubt that could be the cause of your reaction.It would take on awful lot of salt or sugar for you to have that kind of response.

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Libby,

I've not tried the Puffin's Peanut Butter. Peanuts seem to bother me, so I'm avoiding them and I've never cared for PB for breakfast. I like the Puffin's Cinnamon, and Original. Again I'm not sure if they are okay for us, because of the oat flour, they are not considered gluten-free. The Puffin's Honey Rice flavor is okay, and the only one labeled gluten free. Probably processed on the same machines though.

God bless,

Mariann

Lily Rookie

I found a wonderful gluten free cereal by Erewhon called Krispy Brown Rice, tastes just like rice krispies. They make several gluten free cereals. My nutritionist recommends them to all her celiacs with no adverse affects reported. They make a couple cereals that have gluten, so be sure to check the labels.

Lily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim Explorer

I really didn't love any of those gluten-free cereals. The only one I eat is Whole Foods Generic 365 Brand Honey Frosted Flakes. They taste just like I remember Frosted Flakes tasting and whole Foods indicates they are gluten-free.

It is important to note that cereals that do not list an offending product may still become cross-contaminated if prepared on the same lines. I always check with the Company to be sure.

Guest Blackheartedwolf

Today is my 1st day gluten-free. I just bought Gorilla Munch and Koala Krisp! Now I am scared to eat it.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I eat the enviro kidz cereals all the time with no problems!! I am very sensitive. I trust them. Peanutbutter panda puffs are my favorite! YUM!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
eeyor-fan Contributor
Today is my 1st day gluten-free. I just bought Gorilla Munch and Koala Krisp! Now I am scared to eat it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I eat the Enviro Kids Koala Crisp and never had a problem. I love them! :D

eeyor-fan Contributor
I eat the enviro kidz cereals all the time with no problems!! I am very sensitive. I trust them. Peanutbutter panda puffs are my favorite! YUM!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya They Are Yummy!

Bridget

jrom987 Apprentice

I absolutely love the cereal that I found and have had no reaction to it at all. BUT since it does not specify that it is gluten-free, I just called the company to ask. They do not label it gluten-free because "it is processed in a plant that produces wheat products". However, he did say it there products are tested and if any cross contamination has occured, it has been 1 part to million. (I am just learning about this so I hope I worded it correctly.)

Here is the brand I use and their phone number if you want to contact them. Health Valley, 1-800-434-4246. I love the Rice Crunch-Ems. They are just like Chex cereal.

Jo An

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have not had a problem with their cereals - Nature's Path Cornflakes in particular. The osmotic effect she's talking about has to do with suddenly having more sugar than your used to and this pushing more water into the stools. (Osmosis - basically the movement of water through a membrane, and it occurs to equalize concentration of some molecules.) Not sure that it's really what's going on here, but if you normally eat low sugar...

Do you get your other celiac symptoms when eating this cereal, or just that one?

kevsmom Contributor
I absolutely love the cereal that I found and have had no reaction to it at all. BUT since it does not specify that it is gluten-free, I just called the company to ask. They do not label it gluten-free because "it is processed in a plant that produces wheat products". However, he did say it there products are tested and if any cross contamination has occured, it has been 1 part to million. (I am just learning about this so I hope I worded it correctly.)

Here is the brand I use and their phone number if you want to contact them. Health Valley, 1-800-434-4246. I love the Rice Crunch-Ems. They are just like Chex cereal.

Jo An

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

kevsmom Contributor

I agree Jo Ann,

The Health Valley Rice Crunch Ums taste just like Chex. They also make a Corn Crunch Ums. I haven't had a problem with either one. :)

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I agree Jo Ann,

The Health Valley Rice Crunch Ums taste just like Chex.  They also make a Corn Crunch Ums.  I haven't had a problem with either one.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you mix the corn and rice they taste like crispex :D

I like the gorilla munch cereal too, it tastes sorta like captain crunch peanut butter if you close your eyes. ;)

Noelle126 Apprentice

I eat the Envirokidz Koala Crisp and they don't give me a problem...but I was just wondering if they have given others a problem.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
I eat the Envirokidz Koala Crisp and they don't give me a problem...but I was just wondering if they have given others a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my 4 year old and 2 year old eat them, they seem fine. I am currently trying to find gluten-free marshmallows so I can make them into crisp bars for christmas

Guest nini

We don't have any problems with the Envirokids/Nature's Path products... I suspect there may be an allergic reaction to something else going on, perhaps corn?

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I eat the Envirokidz Corn Flakes (I think they have Lemurs on the front) -- they are fine for me.

I also enjoy Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles -- those are my favorites!!!

elonwy Enthusiast

Aren't Kraft marshmallows gluten-free? Yeah, I'm still trying to find a gluten-free cereal I like, its about the only thing I haven't replaced completely to my satisfaction. The envirokids stuff isn't doing it for me. I've got some Arrowhead Mills Buckwheat flakes that are ok, but have a slightly odd taste.

Elonwy

Guest barbara3675

Puffins Honey Rice Cereal is gluten-free and really good and it stays crunchy in the milk until you are done. Barbara

e&j0304 Enthusiast
my 4 year old and 2 year old eat them, they seem fine. I am currently trying to find gluten-free marshmallows so I can make them into crisp bars for christmas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just bought some Great Value (Walmart Brand) marshmallows for my daughter last night. The Walmart here actually states "Gluten Free" on their brands of products that are gluten-free. This has been very helpful to me and I am starting to buy more and more there.

HTH!

Rusla Enthusiast
I eat the Envirokidz Corn Flakes (I think they have Lemurs on the front) -- they are fine for me.

I also enjoy Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles -- those are my favorites!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My favorite of the Envirokids is the Gorilla Puffs or whatever they are called. They have the gorrilla on the front and I love them and no problems with them either. I often just eat them out of the box.

Archived