This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quack Treatments?

GF avenger

GF avenger Apprentice

Hiya

I'm wanting to work with a naturopath as I heal from celiac damage - still pretty worn out after a year of wheat-lite, followed by about a month of gluten-free-ness, since I realized that it's probably celiac, and not just wheat intolerance.

Saw an ND yesterday who was recommended by a fellow celiac, and while I think some of her recommendations were solid - lots of vitamins, a few herbs that I've read about enough to be confident in, she also gave me about $80 worth of UNDA homeopathics, and she wants to test me for sensitivities using an EAV machine.

I've not had any notable results with homeopathics, and generally think they might just be a bunch of hooey. And as for the EAV machine, I can only find positive reviews of it on the webpages of practitioners who use it. It sounds like they've been banned in the UK, the FDA isn't a fan, etc.

Has anyone had any good results with either homeopathics or the EAV test? Is there any reason why I should continue to pay for this?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I don't have any personal experience with homeopathy, and I'm not convinced from what I've heard and read. That doesn't mean it's quackery, but I can understand your hesitation. I think, based on what I know, and given the fact that sensitivity to gluten often increases on a gluten-free diet, that homeopathy basically does something along those lines. That is, the exposure to low levels makes symptoms seem diminished. But if it's like what happens to someone who always eats gluten and doesn't know it is harming them, then that to me doesn't seem good. Perhaps it is supposed to "build a tolerance", but I am skeptical of that notion in general.

Remember, that is my take on it. I am guessing.

Open Original Shared Link

As for EAV, I can't provide much insight, but Google turns up some interesting info:

• 2 months later...
caek-is-a-lie Explorer

I had the EAV test done a few months ago. I'm always a skeptic, but I already had a list of foods I avoided so I figured, I'll go in, have the test, and see if it correlates. I really wanted to learn if I was avoiding everything I needed to or not. I'm happy to say it mostly did correlate with my list. I tested negative for several fruits that I'm sensitive to, but the Dr. said that the test wasn't 100% and that I should still trust my instincts.

Interestingly, wheat kept coming up over and over again...the entire test was all WHEAT WHEAT WHEAT! I'm learning now that gluten seems to be my worst enemy, so I'm glad I did the test. I might not have gone gluten-free if I hadn't.

In my experience, EAV testing is pretty accurate, and it can at least give you ideas of what direction to take next. It's also super non-invasive. I opted for it because I didn't have to eat all the things I'm sensitive to for it to work. It's a pretty neat test!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I've done homeopathic treatments, but not for gluten related issues. They work for me, but what I find is that they only work for a short amount of time and then my body builds up a tolerance to them. (I used them for sinus related issues) Are you being treated for celiac or wheat or gluten allergy?

What I find from people who see NDs is that they're often quick to tell them they have Celiac, because they have bad reactions to gluten. BUT, they don't often tell them the importance of staying gluten-free, and the reality is that they really have done no formal testing. I'm not discounting things I don't understand, heck, I do acupuncture, but the few people I've talked to whose ND told them they had celiac knew nothing at all about celiac.

On the flip side, homeopathics aren't going to hurt you (unless they have gluten in them), it may hurt your wallet more. If you've tried them and they don't work, then I wouldn't keep spending my money on them.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Any type of medicine (allopathic or alternative) works best if you believe in it. I have tried acupuncture 3 times and it never did squat for me. So now I dont believe in it and will not waste $$$ there ever again.

Homeopathy worked for me once. I was having this weird thing happen every night when I went to bed. I would have to get up like 10 times to go pee whilst very little came out. It only happened at night when I first laid down. My M.D. who is Holistic gave me a homeopathic remedy to take before bed. That first night the peeing stopped. I took the remedy for a month and then discontinued. All fine.

But other times Homeopathy didnt work for me. So I have mixed feelings about it, but since it cannot hurt, I would be willing to use again.

But really.....like the Doc. says....use your instincts. If something sounds and feels like "hooey" to you, dont do it. It is less likely to work for you.

I have a good relationship with my Docs. I can just say "I dont believe in that" and they will say o.k. How bout.........something else. Or I can say, "that could work, but I think this would help me more." And they arent offended or upset. Teamwork!

wilsonhealth Newbie

I am new to this site today and investigating Celiacs. This morning I got the result of a positive IGg of 56. The nurse said "it indicated possible celiacs and to avoid gluten until we get results of ultrasounds that were already scheduled and perhaps see GI spec. later. Isn't IgG a test for infection/ lots of food allergies?

I saw a holistic nutritionist for fatigue last March. I didn't focus on the bloating - it was new and I thought not a big deal. I just added vitamins including D, B's and K and omega 3's.

I saw a naturopathic chiropractor in Aug/Sept. who uses applied kinesiology - checks arm strength while you hold different substances- is that like the test you are discussing? Supposedly it should be as accurate as a blood test and then you hold other substances to see what "corrects" it. I saw her b/c the bloating was more obvious and fatigue continued. I questioned wheat sensitivities and know of some people with celiacs, but didn't think my sxs were severe enough and for some reason I didn't think a PCP would take my vague, minor sxs seriously or order the correct tests. I like the idea of whole health, prevention and wellness, rather than a strict medical model.

The chiropractor told me my system was irritated by wheat, rye, millet and white rice. I was told to stay off them for 2 wks and then it would be "corrected" with taking homeopathic remedies specific to my body's needs. I tried it and the bloating was better, not much change in fatigue and then I gradually introduced back wheat.

I saw my PCP in June for agonizing heartburn, but it didn't continue beyond a few days. They did a metabolic panel and checked H pilori for ulcers - everything fine. I don't think they checked for celiac possibility.

Overall, my thought was that naturapathic doctors can be more thorough and check for things other docs can miss, however I wasn't sure about the validity and objectivity of those tests. I didn't have obvious results or reasurance. Also, they may miss what medical MD's may see as an obvious concern - CANCER!

NO ONE told me that bloating is a #1 sxs of ovarian cancer (silent killer). When I saw my mom and mother-in-law who were both nurses and were visiting from out of town. They saw my stomach..I said, "I had cereal this morning, and look, I look 4 mos pregnant" not an unusual event. Their reaction was - you need to be seen by your OBGyn right away. They couldn't fit me in- I saw PCP.

So, I am relieved to hear my sxs are probably GI related, but I was surprised about the limited awareness of bloating as a potentially serious sxs! Scary! By the way, when I fasted for a few days to detox with a short lemonade fast, I felt great - that should have told me smthg!

Anyway, who is best to see now? best tests? My PCP wanted to see me in a few wks and then refer to a gastroenterologist. I don't want to wait that long! I called 1 with a great reputation - he's booked until Feb. Is a blood test that checks thoroughly for food sensitivities the best next step? Do you need a biopsy to confirm celiacs? Can't any MD order that if the GI guys are full? I'm in southern NH, can prob. go to Boston. I'll keep doing my research...

I'll call my doc tom, but thought you might have more ideas- thanks!!

Michelle

lizard00 Enthusiast

Hi and Welcome

Yes, any PC could order a Celiac Panel. But if you want to pursue that, you should NOT avoid gluten, as not ingesting gluten could give you a false negative.

IgG could indicate celiac, but the other tests are more specific if you can get them. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

caek-is-a-lie Explorer
but the few people I've talked to whose ND told them they had celiac knew nothing at all about celiac.

My ND has a Celiac son, so she knows a lot. I'm sure it's an exception to the rule, though.

lizard00 Enthusiast
My ND has a Celiac son, so she knows a lot. I'm sure it's an exception to the rule, though.

I would really hope it's not the exception, but I can only speak from my experiences. I don't know what the NDs know, but the patients thought they could eat a corner of a piece of cake here, or a donut bite there, or as long as it's not too much...

Glad your is knowledgeable though, because I think they bring a great approach to healthcare.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I've had lots of experience with alternative testing and I found it to be very accurate and reliable for me. I have seen different doctors who use different methods of testing (applied kinesiology, autonomic response testing, BioSET as well as other EAV) and in all cases the results were very similar. I have never had conflicting info. from these tests and they've also corresponded with my own feelings/instinct about various things (underlying issues, foods, supplements, etc.).

I'm someone who actually didnt really believe in this type of testing initially.....but the results proved to be accurate and valuable for me. I'm now a big believer of all things alternative. :)

I have found my ND's to be far more knowledgeable than any of the conventional MD's I'd seen (at least in understanding and treating my own personal health issues). Now I stick with integrative MD's as well as ND'S and I have had only positive experiences thus far. :)

Jestgar Rising Star
I've had lots of experience with alternative testing and I found it to be very accurate and reliable for me. I have seen different doctors who use different methods of testing (applied kinesiology, autonomic response testing, BioSET as well as other EAV) and in all cases the results were very similar. I have never had conflicting info. from these tests and they've also corresponded with my own feelings/instinct about various things (underlying issues, foods, supplements, etc.).

But have any of your treatments made you well?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
But have any of your treatments made you well?

I'm definately headed in that direction. I'm much better off than I was when I was seeing conventional docs. During that time my condition continued to deteriorate, I was unable to work and I was pretty non-functional (wasnt even able to drive). Today I'm fine in every way.....except still dealing with sensitivities to foods and chemicals.

I've never actually seen anyone recover from multifactorial disease overnight. That would be pretty miraculous.....and this is reality. In reality we have to work hard to restore and maintain good health.

I have seen people recover this way......but none of them were able to acheive this with conventional methods alone(pharmaceuticals).

Like I said.....all of my experiences have been positive. Most everyone I know who has tried alternative testing and/or treatment has found it to be helpful. Like anything else....what works for one person might not work for the next. I'm finding what works for me. ;)

I guess that if I was looking for magic...or miracles....or if I had no patience at all.....then I would be pretty disgusted with ALL forms of treatment. Fortunately, I do understand that nothing happens that quickly and I'm willing to invest as much time as it takes. :)

mamaw Community Regular

I agree 100% with Rachel on this one. Most practitiioners tell you up front they can not cure autoimmune. Being allergic to most drugs these methods are God sent for me.... I'm not a believer in if the FDA states it okay then its okay. Just look at all the side effects that goes along with these new modern drugs. And yes, one can take to many vitamins & minerals as well. I think there is room for both types of treatments & I feel it should be personal choice.

Other treatments have helped me find my issues way before conventional methods.

blessings

mamaw

Jestgar Rising Star
I'm definately headed in that direction. I'm much better off than I was

That's the bottom line for everyone, isn't it? No matter what methods you choose, if they work for you, then they work for you.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
That's the bottom line for everyone, isn't it? No matter what methods you choose, if they work for you, then they work for you.

Exactly. :)

I might not believe that conventional methods are the best method of treatment for ME....but I know many people who do go that route and I dont put them down for making the decision that is best for THEM.

In other words I'm supportive of any choice that a person makes with regards to their health issues (and that includes my loved ones).

I understand that alot of people think of alternative treatments as "unscientific" or "quackary". I personally wouldnt comment on any of it either way if I had no actual experience with it.....but thats just me. If I havent actually "been there" or "done that" I dont feel as if I can give an honest opinion as to whether or not it has any validity. 3 years ago I wouldnt have responded to this topic.

I've had experience with both conventional and alternative treatments (for the same illness).....one was all bad....and the other all positive. I came to my conclusions based on my own personal experience. Thats really the bottom line...(as you said).....ultimately we can only share our experiences with each other....in the end we make our own decisions. :)

Archived