This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Ear Ringing

Yoekie

Yoekie Apprentice

Sometimes I get lost on this forum, it's so big! I'm conviced I'd seen a post about this and just can't find it back!! Anyway, I got this since I went glutenfree. Almost to the day. In the beginning I thought it would go away but it doesn't and it's ALWAYS there. Can it be related to glutenintolerance/going glutenfree? Or could it have something to do with my anemia/low iron?

Yoekie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

I used to have ringing in my ears, not constantly but often enough to find it distracting. It went away when I brought my B12 levels up.

So my answer is maybe. :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

I guess you're referring to tinnitus. I've noticed it in relation to how my digestive system is working. If I eat stuff that doesn't digest well, I'll sometimes hear some ringing. Same if I forget to drink enough water, or when I wake up with a really dry throat.

So, in my experience, I think it may relate to certain digestive issues. Though I'd like to think that eliminating gluten would help, not worsen it. Good question about the anemia, and though I don't have an answer to that, I don't rule it out. I have read that vitamin B12 helps.

I did see a site offering a product to help tinnitus. It was a specific blend of nutrients.

mushroom Proficient

I went gluten-free in November 2007. Had bad flu Christmas that year and that's when the ear-ringing started. just in my right ear. I blamed it on the flu :o Now I am starting to wonder. It is not constantly constant but enough to be thoroughly disconcerting, and it could have some relationship to digestive upsets. Is there any other way to get B12 other than sublingual (those give me problems) or shots that my doc will not order because my level is not low enough to meet her criteria?

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I have tinnitus in both ears-from a medical treatment, 20 yrs ago- I just found some new information that I have been trying.

The first is to take 120mg Gingko Biloba, they say to take it for two months, before you to see any relief. (just started, to early to say)

The second is just massaging your head and neck. I actually tried this and mine lessoned considerably. I rubbed in that hollow space under and back of your ear.

The website states that one of the reasons for the tinnitus is low or lack of blood flow to the veins going toward your ear. The massage as well as the Ginko helps open up the veins.

They also suggest heat on your neck and head. I have not tried this yet.

It is hard for someone without tinnitus to understand what you are going thru with constant ear noise. All of these "remedies" are cheap and worth a try if they can help you!

codyb87 Rookie

Every once and a while I get ringing in my ears. Im not fully diagnosed with celiac yet, but it's weird how every little symptom people mention on these forums I end up experiencing myself. And I've only had problems for a week! Looks like Im in for a long road of discomfort!

Also I get some popping of the ears like head pressure. It seems to happen right after eating anything at all. anyone else?

curiousgeorge Rookie

There are definately links between tinnitus and iron levels. I have it too and it gets louder if my iron gets crazy low and I know it can start if you have hemochromatosis. I have never had it go away completely. Mine stared one night the winter I was in grade 9 and had never completely gone away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

All of the above posts are good advice.

It's also possible that the timing is a coincidence, and that loud noise exposure caused your tinnnitus. It could be from your cell phone, from an iPod, or even from everyday things like a hairdryer or lawnmower (if you were the one operating the lawn mower).

I had to deal with this a couple of months ago. Mine was from the noise levels on stage during a classical orchestra rehearsal I was in (who would ever think that THAT would be loud enough to cause hearing loss?). It only takes once, if your ears are sensitive, and you could end up with permanent hearing loss.

I would go to an audiologist/ENT ASAP. When I went, I was immediately put on prednisone (ugh), and was told it is the only ammunition they have against this kind of hearing loss.

I hate prednisone, but it worked--I got my hearing back (I had had a significant loss in both ears), and the tinnitus disappeared. I now wear special earplugs (made for musicians) at all rehearsals and concerts.

Kurzemiete Explorer
There are definately links between tinnitus and iron levels. I have it too and it gets louder if my iron gets crazy low and I know it can start if you have hemochromatosis. I have never had it go away completely. Mine stared one night the winter I was in grade 9 and had never completely gone away.

I can relate to this thread very much. I was unaware that there is some link between low iron and tinnitus. I have low ferritin (14) and have had tinnitus since 13, I am now 37. For me it is not constant, but some things do seem to aggravate it, I have yet to figure out exactly what. What is this link?

Kurzemiete Explorer
All of the above posts are good advice.

It's also possible that the timing is a coincidence, and that loud noise exposure caused your tinnnitus. It could be from your cell phone, from an iPod, or even from everyday things like a hairdryer or lawnmower (if you were the one operating the lawn mower).

I had to deal with this a couple of months ago. Mine was from the noise levels on stage during a classical orchestra rehearsal I was in (who would ever think that THAT would be loud enough to cause hearing loss?). It only takes once, if your ears are sensitive, and you could end up with permanent hearing loss.

I would go to an audiologist/ENT ASAP. When I went, I was immediately put on prednisone (ugh), and was told it is the only ammunition they have against this kind of hearing loss.

I hate prednisone, but it worked--I got my hearing back (I had had a significant loss in both ears), and the tinnitus disappeared. I now wear special earplugs (made for musicians) at all rehearsals and concerts.

I haven

Jestgar Rising Star
I can relate to this thread very much. I was unaware that there is some link between low iron and tinnitus. I have low ferritin (14) and have had tinnitus since 13, I am now 37. For me it is not constant, but some things do seem to aggravate it, I have yet to figure out exactly what. What is this link?

There may be a link in some people, but not all. My ferritin was 2, and my ears were fine (and still are).

I don't know how to reverse long-term hearing loss, but I do know that cell phones, cordless land phones, and any listening device with an ear bud made mine worse. Being a musician, I am pretty sensitive to changes in how things sound, and my hearing DEFINITELY loses a bit immediately following any of those things.

It seems like a no-brainer that long-term use of those things would lead to tinnitus and hearing loss, but we only hear about the loud music/listening devices--we don't hear about the damaging effects of the "normal" uses. But they exist.

RiceGuy Collaborator
The second is just massaging your head and neck. I actually tried this and mine lessoned considerably. I rubbed in that hollow space under and back of your ear.

The website states that one of the reasons for the tinnitus is low or lack of blood flow to the veins going toward your ear. The massage as well as the Ginko helps open up the veins.

You know, this makes sense to me, given the information I've read about TMJ. Apparently, part of the reason TMJ sufferers often experience headaches, is the reduced blood flow cause by the misalignment of the jaw. So of course the ears can be effected by it too.

BTW, glucosamine HCL works great for reversing TMJ, plus it helps various other joints. I'm not certain it has had any effect on the occasional ringing, but not eating gluten has helped for sure.

RiceGuy Collaborator
I went gluten-free in November 2007. Had bad flu Christmas that year and that's when the ear-ringing started. just in my right ear. I blamed it on the flu :o Now I am starting to wonder. It is not constantly constant but enough to be thoroughly disconcerting, and it could have some relationship to digestive upsets. Is there any other way to get B12 other than sublingual (those give me problems) or shots that my doc will not order because my level is not low enough to meet her criteria?

Have you determined what it is about the sublingual that gives you problems? What kind did you try?

I've read there are shots you can self-administer, though I'm sure it's still a prescription.

jlinc Rookie

This is a fascinating thread. I was born with about 50% hearing loss and I wear a hearing aid. I've since had problems with tinnitus as well as hyperacusis (sensitivity to noise which gets worse with exposure to more loud noise).

I'm sometimes tempted to attribute every physical ailment I have to my celiac disease, but I don't want to get paranoid <_< But I wonder if my congenital loss was due to the fact that my mother is celiac also but didn't know that in the 70's. And, too, I've had so many problems explained by celiac, which has been great!

Sorry, no direct experience with vitamins, etc. improving my tinnitus. Hope you find your answer. :)

mushroom Proficient
Have you determined what it is about the sublingual that gives you problems? What kind did you try?

I've read there are shots you can self-administer, though I'm sure it's still a prescription.

Hi RiceGuy: I had posted this once before and that I tried using Solgar, and the issue was unresolved with all your online help except that someone suggested it could have been the Mannitol that made me break out all over my face the next day. That became a big ?? when I was prescribed Humira which has Mannitol as an ingredient. So I went tracking down Mannitol only and was finally prescribed some by getting an IV infusion bag from the hospital pharmacy to try some orally and rule it out. Well, I had no reaction and have now had my first Humira shot with no adverse reaction. So no, I still have no idea why I reacted to it.

I have been back to my PCP and told her what I have learned from this forum, that my D3 and B12 and magnesium levels all should be higher (all at the low end of the range, some practically in the toilet :lol: ) and we have repeated the tests to see my current levels and she now seems more receptive to supplementation (she did give me some D but not enough, but I am getting that from another doc now), and she seems receptive to giving me some B12 shots now that she sees how depressed I am.

Thanks for your interest. It is a mystery.

Di-gfree Apprentice

Unfortunately, going gluten-free long ago; and now taking desiccated thyroid for Hashimoto's, hasn't decreased my tinnitus or improved my hearing loss (I wear a hearing aid, too). I guess I keep hoping for a magic solution.

The mentioning of TMJ intriques me because I think I have problems with that. Also, something interesting was mentioned to me by an osteopath that I was seeing a couple of months ago. I wear a small wire retainer (permanent) on top and bottom, and she isn't a fan of those since she says they stop the bones in your head from moving around freely. iow, your skull becomes 'locked'. And when I think about it, my tinnitus seemed to start around the same time I got the retainers (early 90's). Also, she think the retainers affect how well the pituitary functions (but that's another subject - just thought I mention it).

Just saw what you said about B12 and vitamin D, etc. being low, mushroom. Me, too. I bet a lot of us at one time. I brought up my vitamin D by taking 1000 - 2000 iu's/day of D3; and I take sublingual B12 everyday (also have low ferritin). Yoekie, yes, I've heard low ferritin can be a factor in tinnitus, too. Also, you guys might want to have your thyroid checked if you haven't already, because from what I've seen most of us with thyroid auto-immune issues have low B12, D, ferritin, etc.

Dianne

jlinc Rookie

On thinking more about this, I realized that I've been off magnesium supplements for about 2 months. During that time I've begun to have problems with hyperacusis, tinnitus, etc. In blood tests, I've had low readings in D3 and other vitamins, but don't think I've been tested for magnesium.

Magnesium is part of a three-vitamin cocktail that researchers have discovered which protects ears from free radicals caused by loud noises. These free radicals then destroy hearing capacity. The other two are C and E. Here's a link: Open Original Shared Link

Soooo... if someone can't absorb magnesium it seems reasonable to assume they could be at risk for hearing loss.

What do you all think?

I'm headed to the store to stock up on Mag capsules again.

AliB Enthusiast
Every once and a while I get ringing in my ears. Im not fully diagnosed with celiac yet, but it's weird how every little symptom people mention on these forums I end up experiencing myself. And I've only had problems for a week! Looks like Im in for a long road of discomfort!

Also I get some popping of the ears like head pressure. It seems to happen right after eating anything at all. anyone else?

I get strange on and off ringing in my ears from time to time - I had it for a few weeks and it wasn't till I read this thread I realised its not there any more. Weird. I do have a cold - perhaps the goo has muffled it! :P No, seriously, I am pretty sure it had gone before I had the cold - where did it go, and why?

I do definitely experience the ear popping thing though - it seems to equate with the amount of carbs I eat and where my blood sugar is at. By keeping the carbs low it is not so much a problem. It has been so bad at times it would keep me awake, but unless I have had a carb-fest (which isn't very often because I don't cope with them at all well) I rarely get it now.

Why not see if you can equate it with what you have eaten the next time it happens or try keeping a diary so you can check back and compare.

Can't find the study, but my mom had sent me a copy of a study that linked mild-to-moderate hearing loss in middle-aged women to low folate levels.

chatycady Explorer

I believe everyone here is correct on what causes that annoying ringing! Anemia, B-12 deficiency, magnesium deficiency are all causes.

I have the "leaky gut" problem and when I eat something that I can't properly digest the first symptom I get is the loud ringing in my ears. Then it's all down hill from there!

I think it's the start of the immune system attacking the undigested food that "leaked" into my blood stream.

Hope you figure it out. Once you fix that problem hopefully the ringing will go away! :D

Silliest of Yaks Rookie

I had neurological problems that sprang up post diet change, including ear ringing, but I didn't have any of the usual deficiencies. As my neurologist explained, inflammatory changes often have neurological effects. When your body is used to operating in a state of chronic inflammation, and then you start a gluten-free diet and your immune functions change, you're knocking your neurological systems off of the equilibrium it had tried to reach. Luckily for me, the neurological stuff is easing up as my body adjusts to its new, healthier self. I hope yours does too!

And in response to the following:

I'm sometimes tempted to attribute every physical ailment I have to my celiac disease, but I don't want to get paranoid <_<

I can relate so very much to that!! I am always trying to walk the line between patient education and paranoia. I went to a celiac support group (on a day that the group leader wasn't there to keep us on-topic) and everyone was speculating and mulling over what was wrong with them and why. When you think about it, it's pretty justified. A lot of us went undiagnosed for years or decades, started questioning everything our doctors told us - for good reason - developed all sorts of complications, experienced physical and psychological changes... I think undiagnosed celiac disease breeds suspicion (and hypochondria?) for reasons both physiological and as a kind of post-traumatic response to dealing with the illness.

On top of staying gluten-free and the initial follow-up screenings, therapy and a psychiatric meds have been a major part of my post-diagnosis recovery and treatment. I am definitely a work in progress when it comes to developing a healthy attitude about my health, especially because I am still dealing with complications I want to better understand. These boards have been a great support in that, but occasionally I think they can also help me get carried away. It's good to remember that we all (celiac or not) have our own neuroses to come to terms with ;)

Archived