This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Feria Hair Color

raisin

RESO Apprentice

Hi Raisin,

It is extremely easy to ingest haircolor if you think about it, I don't know what TFAG's issue is. Unless you have a sink like they have at a salon, most of us end up bent over our bathtub or sink during the rinse out process and it's extremely easy to get residue into your nose or mouth, in fact, in my opinion, it's almost impossible not to.

I believe I have had a similar experience with Revlon, so I called them this morning about their hair color. The person who answered the phone said that the developer and the conditioner both contain wheat, and I have looked over the ingredient list and can't find an ingredient that a person without a strong scientific background in deciphering ingredients would even guess has wheat in it. There is an ingredient in the colorant listed as "wheat amino acids". I have tried to find out what this means and if it contains gluten but have had no luck.

Also, does anyone know of a haircolor out there that is gluten free, not very expensive, and doesn't have to be redone every 2 weeks? I am probably asking for the moon but figured I would try... {:-)}

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi Raisin,

It is extremely easy to ingest haircolor if you think about it, I don't know what TFAG's issue is. Unless you have a sink like they have at a salon, most of us end up bent over our bathtub or sink during the rinse out process and it's extremely easy to get residue into your nose or mouth, in fact, in my opinion, it's almost impossible not to.

I believe I have had a similar experience with Revlon, so I called them this morning about their hair color. The person who answered the phone said that the developer and the conditioner both contain wheat, and I have looked over the ingredient list and can't find an ingredient that a person without a strong scientific background in deciphering ingredients would even guess has wheat in it. There is an ingredient in the colorant listed as "wheat amino acids". I have tried to find out what this means and if it contains gluten but have had no luck.

Also, does anyone know of a haircolor out there that is gluten free, not very expensive, and doesn't have to be redone every 2 weeks? I am probably asking for the moon but figured I would try... {:-)}

I use Garneir haircolor with no issues and I am very sensitive. I also use their shampoos and conditioners. I have also used Herbatint, which is an organic haircolor but they did include a sample of a conditioner that did have wheat.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm very sensitive and use/have used Feria and Natural Match with no problems at all. I called Loreal about both and was told no gluten ingredients whatsoever. I like the Natural Match colors a bit better, and it seems to condition better. :)

maile Newbie
Hi Raisin,

Actually there's another way you can ingest it, I found out the hard way....just get it into your eyes. Tear ducts drain into the nose which then drains down your throat. So no one would have to "eat" hair dye/conditioner/shampoo, just get the rinsing water in your eyes and there's your potential glutening.

Gemini Experienced
Tallforagirl. I'm only going to say this once. Stop being so judgmental of people who are more sensitive than you. Especially since you are apparently not that sensitive at all. I've had enough! Your replies are inappropriate and they need to stop. I will not argue with you about this. Say what you want in response, I will not reply. That is all. Thank you.

I know this is an older thread that has been revived but I am amazed at the rudeness here and the lack of understanding of how a Celiac reaction works. TFAG was 100% correct in her reply...you cannot have a Celiac reaction from touching gluten, it has to be ingested, period. If there is a topical reaction, then that is an allergy issue but I'm sure the whole medical profession is incorrect and the few here who insist it happens are not! :rolleyes: No one is being judgmental, just trying to educate those who have the wrong information. It may be cause for debate on Celiac websites but any literature you read will not substantiate this.

Plus, as I do not screen topical products myself, except for lipstick, and having the blood results I am seeing from not ingesting gluten, there is no way it can be absorbed through the skin. I just would never have recovered to the extent that I have and maintained it. For those of us who were EXTREMELY serio-positive, it's a no-brainer test.

There was nothing inappropriate about her answer so you shouldn't be so sensitive about sound, medical information.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I know this is an older thread that has been revived but I am amazed at the rudeness here and the lack of understanding of how a Celiac reaction works. TFAG was 100% correct in her reply...you cannot have a Celiac reaction from touching gluten, it has to be ingested, period. If there is a topical reaction, then that is an allergy issue but I'm sure the whole medical profession is incorrect and the few here who insist it happens are not! :rolleyes: No one is being judgmental, just trying to educate those who have the wrong information. It may be cause for debate on Celiac websites but any literature you read will not substantiate this.

Plus, as I do not screen topical products myself, except for lipstick, and having the blood results I am seeing from not ingesting gluten, there is no way it can be absorbed through the skin. I just would never have recovered to the extent that I have and maintained it. For those of us who were EXTREMELY serio-positive, it's a no-brainer test.

There was nothing inappropriate about her answer so you shouldn't be so sensitive about sound, medical information.

An antibody reaction can also occur when gluten contacts a mucous membrane. In some countries they use a gluten suppository inserted into the rectum or apply it to the membranes of the mouth and then biopsy the tissue a couple of hours later to diagnose celiac. A much less barbaric practice than making someone sick for weeks with a gluten challenge. The knowledge of celiac and gluten in the US is not absolute, new things are being learned everyday.

If you have gluten on your hands or it gets into your eyes or nose it can cause a reaction.

I am glad you are not as reactive as some of us are but many of us do need to avoid topical gluten to stop the antibody reaction.

Takala Enthusiast

I can't believe some people here are saying that other people, who are having a reaction to topical products, irregardless of how the reaction is occuring, are supposed to be unbelievable.

Let me educate you. All reactions are real if they occur, and I don't think whether or not it was an allergy or an auto immune response is a deal breaker for the discussion to be relevant.

If myself or a family member uses a topical lotion, including hair products or skin moisturizers, and then touches something I ingest without scrubbing it off their hands, I AM GLUTENED. And it took me a long time to figure this out because somebody wasn't thinking.

Eye makeup bleeds and gets into the tear ducts.

The stuff on your scalp, dander, flakes off constantly and gets into your pillowcases, bedding, on your towels, furniture, everywhere. The stuff on your skin does the same thing. Why I would want to be walking around swathed in a layer of dried gluten all over my sensitive skin is a mystery. The skin, after all, is the largest organ of the human body, and is not impermeable, as sweat and oils come out the other way.

If certain brands of cosmetics are less likely to cause reactions there's not a reason I can think of to not discuss them. Because people whose auto immune symptoms are in an uproar are probably going to be more highly reactive to chemicals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fig girl Rookie
Hmmm ... I'm not sure how it would work for you. But I think it's perhaps worth a try (you never know). I don't think it's any messier than other hair color products -- and it's not toxic, so unless you have a particular sensitivity to henna (some people do), you don't even need to wear gloves while applying it! I get mine from Lame Advertisement.com -- nice people there.

Yup, most family and friends think I've lost my mind. My best friend definitely thinks so -- especially now that I've told him I'm eliminating soy and dairy along with gluten because I'm reacting to them, too. It's a bit disheartening to be thought a hypochondriac. But the excellent health is *so* worth it. Now that I've identified a couple of nagging gluten sources (such as pepperoni labeled "no gluten added" that I really liked, but finally realized I was reacting to when I ate more than one or two slices), the only times I get glutened are when I eat away from home.

I hope the henna works for you :) .

Hi Sailing Girl,

I have been thinking about ordering the Surya temporary hair cream and see that you use it. My hairdresser uses herbatint on my hair currently but it's kind of expensive to have it done there and if i could find something close to my natural color i'd maybe do it at home. I'd try the herbatint but my hairdresser is an excellent colorist and she mixed colors and i'd be too scared to try it with a permanent hair dye. I have brown hair that's kind of dark in the winter and lightens a little in the summer. I don't have a whole lot of gray so the surya may work ok. How did you figure out which color to order? That's neat if it covers the gray but doesn't change your natural color. It's been about 4 mths since I've had it colored and it's faded some - should i wait until the herbatint is completely out of my hair to use the surya you think? Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for any information you may have! :)

Archived