This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Celiac Wish.

quietmorning01

quietmorning01 Explorer

I wish, with every every everything I have that there were a product that you could spray on cooking utensils and it will turn a bright color if there is gluten on it.

You know, like they do on CSI when they search for blood.

**deeep sigh**

I do not like how the only way an object can be tested to make sure it's absolutely gluten free is to wait and see what happens when the food goes down the throat.

Just sayin'

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator
I wish, with every every everything I have that there were a product that you can spray on cooking utensils and it will turn a bright color of there is gluten on it.

You know, like they do on CSI when they search for blood.

**deeep sigh**

I do not like how the only way an object can be tested to make sure it's absolutely gluten free is to wait and see what happens when the food goes down the throat.

Just sayin'

oh man...if they had that i would spray it all over my mom's apartment just to prove to her there is gluten all over that place! lol I feel like crap and get super bloated everytime I go there...

Seejanerun4 Newbie

Amen to that!!!

quietmorning01 Explorer
oh man...if they had that i would spray it all over my mom's apartment just to prove to her there is gluten all over that place! lol I feel like crap and get super bloated everytime I go there...

Hey, I'd love to see the look on her face whe she sees BIGHT GREEN all over her house!! LOL. . .now, wouldn't THAT be poetic justice?!

Maybe someone in some lab some where will read this and see how bad something like this is needed and actually figure out how to do it and get rich.

quietmorning01 Explorer
Amen to that!!!

I think the pharmaceutical companies should package it into samples to give to our docs - to push on us. . . when we're first diagnosed. **nods**

Yep, I do. I think that would redeem them from their many sins. **snickers**

hermitgirl Contributor

hmm... too bad I am clueless when it comes to chemistry. Does anyone have someone in the science field that we could suggest this idea to? Not in the mood for daydreaming today, I am all for action. That, and I too would love to show my mother how contaminated her house is.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Your idea. I'm behind you. Start inventin'!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

foodiegurl Collaborator

Sounds like a great idea.

I also have a wish that we would be able to take a pill to neutralize gluten so that if we do accidentally get some, we will be OK.

hermitgirl Contributor
Sounds like a great idea.

I also have a wish that we would be able to take a pill to neutralize gluten so that if we do accidentally get some, we will be OK.

Supposedly there is some kind of natural supplement that helps in the slightest cases of contamination, gluten block or something like that. I just had someone tell me about it, but have no clue other than that.

Crystalkd Contributor

A spray would be nice but I've gotten around it. When I go to my parents house even though they have more and more gluten-free snacks in thier house I cook my own stuff ahead of time or if we are having a family gathering and my grand mother is there she makes sure most of the meal is in gluten-free and she mixes everything in glass containers that have been washed out with a new sponge and covers everything. They also let me get my food first before the kids get to it. My family has come a long way in understanding what makes me sick and how to stop it. I always have a back up plan though. I refuse to cook my stuff in other people's kictchens so I bring stuff that's ready to heat and eat.

Lisa16 Collaborator

There are pills that are supposed to bind to gluten called "gluteneze." I have used this, but I don't trust them enough to flat out eat something with gluten using them.

I love the idea of a bright green luminescent spray! I bet lots of people would have it on their persons-- hair, clothes, skin.... it would really be interesting.

quietmorning01 Explorer
Your idea. I'm behind you. Start inventin'!

**laughing** I bought a lotto ticket so's I can afford the patent!! Grief, inventing is expensive. I do think I'll do some research tho and maybe see if can push the idea along. . .if you can get litmus paper, you should be able to have a simple home test in the kitchen that can help clean things up. A mist spray would probably be the most functional, but I was thinking. . .it can be put in the dish liquid and you simply wash until the foam turns a certain color.

I think I'm not ready to just sit here and let it be a passing idea, though. I posted it, maybe someone with the know how will grab it and make themselves rich. (fine with me, I just want the product) But in the mean time, I'll continue to see what I might be able to do with it.

quietmorning01 Explorer
hmm... too bad I am clueless when it comes to chemistry. Does anyone have someone in the science field that we could suggest this idea to? Not in the mood for daydreaming today, I am all for action. That, and I too would love to show my mother how contaminated her house is.

Heh, I just remembered my cousin whom I haven't had contact with in eons. . . he's an inventor, and has gotten quite rich doing so. . . wonder if he'd take a look at it.

eringopaint Newbie

Fantastic idea! I would buy it in a heartbeat!

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

What if we could just look at something and it would glow a weird color if it had gluten? Then we could be invincible!!

quietmorning01 Explorer
What if we could just look at something and it would glow a weird color if it had gluten? Then we could be invincible!!

**LAUGHING!!** I read this to my hsuband - he looked at me with THAT look and said, "well, we already know YOU'RE weird."

HEH.

It would me nice if the wheat industry would attach a 'marker' to it though!! :)

quietmorning01 Explorer
I wish, with every every everything I have that there were a product that you could spray on cooking utensils and it will turn a bright color if there is gluten on it.

UPDATE: My husband and I are seriously talking about this. There are several people we are going to contact MONDAY to see if someone will take this as a project. My husband works for a university - and knows several. I know a 'few' people and organizations that might want to take this on.

Wish us luck?

:)

maile Newbie
UPDATE: My husband and I are seriously talking about this. There are several people we are going to contact MONDAY to see if someone will take this as a project. My husband works for a university - and knows several. I know a 'few' people and organizations that might want to take this on.

Wish us luck?

:)

Good Luck!

earlier either you or someone mentioned Lithmus paper as an example, here's another, remember those tablets from dentists that when kids chew them any missed plaque (from brushing) goes red?

I think this would be an awesome idea!

quietmorning01 Explorer
Good Luck!

earlier either you or someone mentioned Lithmus paper as an example, here's another, remember those tablets from dentists that when kids chew them any missed plaque (from brushing) goes red?

I think this would be an awesome idea!

Yeah! I remember those! **laughing**

I was the only one out of five kids that actually LIKED those things! :)

Thanks! I'll keep everyone posted on what happens with it.

Alli-Ely Newbie

That spray is a great idea I know I would buy it just to help prove that not everything is gluten free because someone else thinks it is or wants it to be. I also would like a pill so that I could have some gluten back in my life, I don't even need a lot but a little bit occassionally with a pill to neutralize it would be great :)

2boysmama Apprentice

Of course the spray would have to be non-toxic, gluten, dairy, egg, nut, soy, corn, etc. free so as not to make anyone with other allergies sick too! :lol:

quietmorning01 Explorer
Of course the spray would have to be non-toxic, gluten, dairy, egg, nut, soy, corn, etc. free so as not to make anyone with other allergies sick too! :lol:

:) Of course!!

weluvgators Explorer

Here are instructions for using the EZ Gluten test that include the use of surface swabs!

Open Original Shared Link

I have wanted to test surface swabs, but so far all of my tests have ended up dedicated to my food supply. So, I don't have personal experience using it this way yet, but I would love to hear if anyone else has done it.

I want to test the surfaces at parks!! The playgrounds, the picnic tables . . . OK, I don't really need a test to *know* about the picnic tables . . .

Spraying more "stuff" only seems to add to the pollution, doesn't it?

mattathayde Apprentice

as to the gluten pill my natural medicine person gave me "gluten digestion" made by prosol (but you have to have a doctor get it for you, kinda stupid). even when i know im not getting glutened it seems to help some along with the other stuff im taking.

as to the cleaning issue, i know the gluten sticks and all but on pots and pans abrasive cleaning should remove it, and acidic cleaners (even vinegar will do it) should be able to remove it since they will etch the metal (removing a very small layer of the metal).

when i go home and eat from a mixed kitchen with no separation i some times have issues but i cannot say for sure they are from gluten, that being said i also get better when i go home after having issues usually, but it might just be stress related

-matt

quietmorning01 Explorer
Here are instructions for using the EZ Gluten test that include the use of surface swabs!

Open Original Shared Link

I have wanted to test surface swabs, but so far all of my tests have ended up dedicated to my food supply. So, I don't have personal experience using it this way yet, but I would love to hear if anyone else has done it.

I want to test the surfaces at parks!! The playgrounds, the picnic tables . . . OK, I don't really need a test to *know* about the picnic tables . . .

Spraying more "stuff" only seems to add to the pollution, doesn't it?

I guess that would depend on what the 'stuff' is . . .if it's a natural product that breaks down completely, then it wouldn't be an issue. That could / probably should be part of the request, tho.

Archived