This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blue Diamond Almonds- Feedback From Company

Cameos4u

Cameos4u Newbie

Hello All,

Just wanted to pass along what we learned from the Blue Diamond Growers today. I had inquired about the Smokehouse Almonds as the labeling was unclear. This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Blue Diamond Growers.

Yes. The Smokehouse Almonds are in fact gluten free.

Our Gluten Free products include:

NUT-THINS Crackers (all 6 flavors)

o made with no wheat or gluten ingredients

o made in a facility that does make wheat products - BUT production of these is isolated and produced on a dedicated line

ALMOND BREEZE non-dairy almond milk beverage

o no wheat or gluten ingredients are used in making this product line

o product is made on a dedicated line

Most of our almonds are wheat & gluten free. The ones you will want to avoid are the following:

o AVOID BOLD Wasabi & Soy Sauce (wheat is in the seasonings and is listed on the label)

o AVOID - Jordan Almonds

We just received confirmation for our seasonings supplier that the new OVEN ROASTED CINNAMON-BROWN SUGAR & OVEN ROASTED VANILLA BEAN are in fact gluten-free, along with the OVEN ROAST NO SALT and OVEN ROAST SEA SALT.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Deborah Sommers

Consumer Advocate

Marketing Department

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hermitgirl Contributor

Thank you for posting that!

FMcGee Explorer

Thanks! That's great. I bought a box of Almond NutThins and saw afterwards that there's a cross-contamination warning, and got sad, but now I can break them open with a flourish!

• 8 years later...
hometownhappy Newbie

That information is incorrect. No where on packaging of Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds does it state Gluten free. Anyone who is, and has been gluten free due to allergies would/should know better than to ingest a processed food that also does not state on label it is gluten free. Plus, a known gluten containing ingredient Soy is clearly labeled on package. I am extremely allergic to the Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds, and am gluten intolerant with no almond allergies.  I can eat roasted or raw almonds, and other almond processed food with no issue, but of course buy only processed products that are labeled gluten free. 

psawyer Proficient

"Plus, a known gluten containing ingredient Soy is clearly labeled on package."

Wrong. Soy is not a source of gluten, although some have an intolerance to it.

Gluten comes from only three grains: wheat, rye and barley.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, hometownhappy said:

That information is incorrect. No where on packaging of Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds does it state Gluten free. Anyone who is, and has been gluten free due to allergies would/should know better than to ingest a processed food that also does not state on label it is gluten free. Plus, a known gluten containing ingredient Soy is clearly labeled on package. I am extremely allergic to the Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds, and am gluten intolerant with no almond allergies.  I can eat roasted or raw almonds, and other almond processed food with no issue, but of course buy only processed products that are labeled gluten free. 

I think your thinking of "Soy Sauce" which is fermented soy, wheat and salt as a basis. Actual pure soy does not contain gluten.....thought as mentioned above many of us with gluten issues are also intolerant to soy. PS this is a very old thread, ALWAYS check ingridents on the actual product and email the companies and when in doubt throw it out.

squirmingitch Veteran
  • Are Blue Diamond products "gluten free?"

Most of our products do not contain ingredients derived from wheat or other gluten grains. The following Blue Diamond products contain gluten:

• Jordan Almonds
    • Wasabi & Soy Sauce Flavored Almonds
    • Do you use "soy" in your products?

Some products use soy, such as in soy sauce, or soy derivatives, such as hydrolyzed soy protein and/or lecithin as food additives for integrity and quality. As soy is a food allergen, any product containing it will indicate "soy" in the ingredient declaration and/or "contains" statement on the label.

• Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients in the Smokehouse Almonds:

ALMONDS, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA, SAFFLOWER AND/OR SUNFLOWER), SALT, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL HICKORY SMOKE FLAVOR, YEAST, HYDROLYZED CORN AND SOY PROTEIN AND NATURAL FLAVORS.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 months later...
princessgamble Newbie

Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds contain maltodextrin which can be a hidden source of gluten.  Maltodextrin is derived from rice, corn or wheat starch.  It would be highly recommended to ask specifically where the company sources their Maltodextrin. I almost moved forward with eating these after reading this post but thought it more wise to research the individual ingredients.  Glad I did.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
55 minutes ago, princessgamble said:

Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds contain maltodextrin which can be a hidden source of gluten.  Maltodextrin is derived from rice, corn or wheat starch.  It would be highly recommended to ask specifically where the company sources their Maltodextrin. I almost moved forward with eating these after reading this post but thought it more wise to research the individual ingredients.  Glad I did.

The maltodextrin in those is from corn. In the US if it is derived from wheat it has to be declared.

LilyR Rising Star

I used to like smoked almonds, but I can't have corn or soy, so can't have. I also had a bag of regular, plain Blue Diamond almonds and seemed to get stomach ache and bloat any time I ate them, so I gave up on them.  I thought I had read an article online saying they day some of their products don't contain gluten ingredients, but that they did not actually test them for gluten.  So I guess just try at your own risk, and if you can handle them, that is great.  I realized I better not try their almond milk either. 

Archived