The Fluffy Assassin

Thoughts On Canned Chick Peas (garbanzos)

Rate this topic

I visited a local Indian/Oriental foods store in hopes of picking up some dried chick peas. Unfortunately, every package had the "produced on shared lines with wheat" warning, and with no softener like "good manufacturing practices were followed to maintain separation." This makes me a little worried about the canned chick peas in stores. I know that foods produced in America have to have the allergen labeling and that all food sold in the US should have the labeling. I'm unclear whether imported food must have the labeling or anyway how trustworthy it might be. Chick pea cans I have seen have no allergen warning. As far as I know, nobody is growing chick peas in the US on a commercial scale, so these would presumably all be imported. I remember the earlier thread to the effect that all lentils must be considered cross-contaminated with wheat because of where they're grown, but don't know if chick peas are in any way similar. Your thoughts?

Allergen labeling applies to ANY food sold in the U.S. no matter where it's made.

As for CC in ALL lentils, never heard of that one.

richard

I eat a lot of Chi-chi's and have never been gotten by them. I use the canned variety as I can't even find the dryed ones. I do use dried split peas and lentils and I rinse them well and pick them over for stones and such. While the packages may say that they are 'produced in......' I haven't actually found any suspicious unidentified grains mixed in or been glutened by them. Not saying it could never happen but it has never happened to me.

Allergen labeling applies to ANY food sold in the U.S. no matter where it's made.

As for CC in ALL lentils, never heard of that one.

richard

One of the lentil threads (it was barley, not wheat): http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...amp;mode=linear

Moot point as far as I'm concerned, as I don't care for lentils.

Thanks for your reply. Found some canned garbanzos at Earth Fare that were labeled "Not gluten." Odd wording, but I think it covers the case.

Because of the shared lines issue, I never use the dried ones (from the Indian grocery). Plus they often have little stones in them that you have to be careful of.

I buy the organic canned ones from the halth food store and have been safe so far. I eat them mixed with rice quite often.

The brand we have here is called "full circle," but there are more brands out there.

Good luck!

I made hummous with the new Walmart white label brand of garbanzo beans. (the new white label looks similiar to the old generic label in the 70's-remember the green line?!) Anyway, I feel fine and these were very cheap!

We eat lentils and I've never had a problem with them. We rinse the dry ones first and soak overnight. I have never had a problem with canned beans of any kind though I haven't had chickpeas in a while.

Because of the shared lines issue, I never use the dried ones (from the Indian grocery). Plus they often have little stones in them that you have to be careful of.

I buy the organic canned ones from the halth food store and have been safe so far. I eat them mixed with rice quite often.

The brand we have here is called "full circle," but there are more brands out there.

Good luck!

That's what I wound up getting, the Earth Fare store brand. Much, much better than the Hanover canned garbanzos I got at the regular supermarket, I'm happy to say.