SGWhiskers

Gift Of Herbs

Rate this topic

My neighbor dropped off a bunch of veggies and herbs delivered in groery bags. Would you eat the herbs? I can't really wash them well and if bread was in that...Oh the paranoia. But if they were safe,....Mountains of organic herbs.

What whould you do?

Wash them as best as you can, leave them to dry and wash again......and again and again and again until you are so tired the paranoia wears off. :lol:

For me, personally I would not be overly concerned. The only way I can see them getting cc's is if after they were cut they were placed in an area where there were crumbs/flour. Rinse them good and they probably will be fine. You could ask your neighbor if after they were cut if they went straight into the bag. It might make you feel better. ;)

I don't know how things are where you live, but here bread is almost always sold wrapped in plastic or other packaging. The likelihood of the bag being contaminated would be so close to zero that I would not worry.

You can wash them pretty well in a colander and you should be just fine.

I'm still up in the air about the herbs. Thank you for the reassurances though. I did use some in a recipe the other night, but I was already suffering from an unrelated glutening. Darn CC.

I want to share my thoughts on plastic bread bags though. The bread has to get into the bags somehow. They are in the same factory crumbs or flour dust touching at least some of the bags. I can't imagine that there isn't cc on the outside of a bag. That wouldn't be the reason for me eating or not eating the herbs. Realistically, the cc from bread to the bag, to the grocery bag to the unwashed herbs would be pretty minute.

I think I may wash them until the paranoia is rinsed off them. Then plant more of my own for safe harvest.