This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

fig girl Rookie
Welcome Fig!

Sorry to hear you are struggling, and hope SCD will help. What I have read is that some on SCD have been able to reintroduce foods later, hope that works for you.

On the eggs, I think there might be some recipes on some of the SCD websites for substitutes. You might experiment if you can find fresh duck eggs, to see if you can tolerate those.

I was able to find the dry curd cottage cheese in Albertsons as well as a couple of other places. It was made by Alpenrose which is a dairy in Oregon. It could be Farmer's cheese. I think most people have been able to find it okay. In my grocer it is right with the cottage cheese.

Thank you mftnchn! That's very encouraging to hear some have been able to reintroduce foods later. Thank you also for letting me know there are some egg-less recipes out there. I'll do a search for some. I have bought some EnerG egg replacer but haven't tried it yet and i'm not sure if it's SCD legal. I'll have to do a search for that too. I went to Kroger after work today but didn't see any of the dry curd cottage cheese. I think i read somewhere that Wal-mart may carry it so i'll check ours maybe tomorrow. Is any Farmer's cheese ok? I found some by New Bridge and it just says Farmer's cheese on it so maybe it's ok. I bought some goat's milk to try and make my yogurt with. I have some Lactobacillus Acidophilus by pure encapsulations that i had gotten from my Dr. and i wonder if that'll work to make my yogurt with? It's not 3 billion CFU though it's only 1.5 billion CFU of the patented LA-1 strain. The only other ingredients are hypo-allergenic plant fiber, vegetable capsule.

Hopefully i can eat eggs again soon. My Dr. had said to omit them for 3 mths. and then add them back and this month will be 3 mths. I'll try them soon, i'll be bummed if they still bother me. They're such a good, easy protein especially for breakfast. Thanks again! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pele Rookie
. I have bought some EnerG egg replacer but haven't tried it yet and i'm not sure if it's SCD legal.

Hey there Fig

Welcome to the thread.

I went to the Ener G website and found the following ingredients for egg replacer:

Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose

Not SCD legal!!

I really believe that a big part of the success of the SCD has to do with the elimination of processed foods, so I think it is important NOT to use these kinds of things.I also know that we are moving from a diet of endless food options to one of limited choices and it is hard when you can't eat everything on the diet. I am doing it without dairy. You can do the diet without eggs although it will be hard to bake.

mftnchn Explorer

In some areas of the country it is called Farmer's cheese, I understand. So that's probably right.

Your probiotic sounds fine to me. It doesn't really matter how much as it will multiply in your yogurt. Use two capsules and it would be about the same anyway, I think.

Kroger is the same as our Fred Meyer, I think. I never found the DCCC at Fred Meyer.

You might try duck eggs, did I mention that? It is different enough that you might not react, and they are fine in things even though have a bit of a different flavor for just eating cooked eggs. I used to find them in the co-op market in one town. Actually they are common here in China, but I don't need to use them currently.

Its a good idea to keep sharing meal ideas. I'll try to pass along some of the stir fry combos my housekeeper here uses for me.

Oh, I tried a recipe from one of the sites that was curried squash. Very very yummy. It called for coconut milk. The sauce was a bit runny but tasty if you put it in a bowl. Would be great for a main dish with chicken added. Sorry don't have the site at my fingertips but I bet a google search would bring it right up.

Sherry

pele Rookie
Carrots chopped in thin long pieces, stir fried in olive oil and fresh ginger, with salt and a little water to steam them thoroughly.

That sounds soooo good! I need to put fresh ginger on the shopping list.

Today I had shrimp, cucumber and tomato for lunch--good cold finger food.

Dinner was sauteed chicken breast (again) and mixed greens, lightly steamed then fried in garlic and coconut oil then topped with a dash of lime juice.

Tomorrow I have time to bake. I'll grate some zucchini and make some kind of muffins or bread with egg and Trader Joe's Almond Meal. I also plan to cook onions, summer squash and tomatoes together to put in the freezer in single size servings.

mftnchn Explorer

I think you may be able to use the DCCC or farmer's cheese and applesauce to replace the eggs...or something like that. I know I read something on one of the sites.

For lunch today I had stir fried beef, carrots and yellow sweet pepper. Not sure what my housekeeper used for seasoning. She often does eggs and veggies, carrort, zucchini, cucumber, tomato or others, so had eggs and cucumber. Also some broccoli. I had this left over for dinner, plus my yogurt/applesauce smoothie.

ShayFL Enthusiast

A housekeeper that cooks for you....I want one of those. :)

mftnchn Explorer

Oh yeah. It is the best! I couldn't keep up my work without it out here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

I had to manage without eggs for a while as they affected me but after about 3 months I found that I could then tolerate them as long as they are well cooked - although I love runny yolks, they don't love me. I am hoping that eventually I will be able to tolerate those ok too.

aprilh Apprentice

Today I made the muffins with almond flour. I put some raisans in some, blueberries in some and some were plain. I sent my little boy off to school with one for lunch. I haven't tried them yet, but my daughter ate one for breakfast so they can't be too bad!

I sooooooooo need a housekeeper! Even if to just help with the housework!

AliB Enthusiast

Just for information, I found this very interesting little article on Yogurt. Fascinating...........

Open Original Shared Link

ShayFL Enthusiast

I do have housekeepers that clean my house every 2 weeks. I will just be thankful for what I have. :)

Today I am trying to make the coconut yogurt. Fresh coconut. Will see what happens.

mftnchn Explorer

Well, also I don't have a clothes dryer, no dishwasher, and we can't buy anything prepared, including juice, sauces, nut flour, gluten-free flour, etc. I do have an oven thankfully, and two burners to cook on. The house gets dirty faster too, due to pollution although it is much better here than in other cities. So there is a lot more work to do just to keep up.

April, glad your muffins turned out, I think you will really like them. To me, they taste much better than other gluten-free ones.

mftnchn Explorer

BTW I make my "muffins" in a pan and cut them up. Faster and easier cleanup.

fig girl Rookie
Hey there Fig

Welcome to the thread.

I went to the Ener G website and found the following ingredients for egg replacer:

Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose

Not SCD legal!!

I really believe that a big part of the success of the SCD has to do with the elimination of processed foods, so I think it is important NOT to use these kinds of things.I also know that we are moving from a diet of endless food options to one of limited choices and it is hard when you can't eat everything on the diet. I am doing it without dairy. You can do the diet without eggs although it will be hard to bake.

Thank you Pele for looking that up, i really appreciate it. Yes, it is defiinitely not SCD legal. I had bought it 2-3 wks. ago before looking into the SCD. I had decided to not buy it since i've been avoiding eggs because it has so much "stuff" in it and i knew i did better on fewer ingred. in processed things, but i think i was going to try a recipe using them but never did. Yes, it will be harder without the eggs but i did find some egg-less recipes that sounded really good so i'm excited about that! If I can find duck eggs maybe i'll try those first. I'm feeling better since recently avoiding processed foods, grains, corn and potatos so i hate to try the eggs in case they bother me but i want to know. :P Thanks and thanks for the welcome! :)

fig

fig girl Rookie
I had to manage without eggs for a while as they affected me but after about 3 months I found that I could then tolerate them as long as they are well cooked - although I love runny yolks, they don't love me. I am hoping that eventually I will be able to tolerate those ok too.

Hi AliB - I'm glad you were able to tolerate them again....hopefully that'll be the case for me. Maybe i should try eating egg whites first. I've read some people can't eat the egg whites and some can't eat the yolks but that could have been they were allergice to one or the other....can't remember exactly. I hope you get to eat the runny yolks again...my husband likes his yolks a little runny too but i prefer them fully cooked.

fig girl Rookie
In some areas of the country it is called Farmer's cheese, I understand. So that's probably right.

Your probiotic sounds fine to me. It doesn't really matter how much as it will multiply in your yogurt. Use two capsules and it would be about the same anyway, I think.

Kroger is the same as our Fred Meyer, I think. I never found the DCCC at Fred Meyer.

You might try duck eggs, did I mention that? It is different enough that you might not react, and they are fine in things even though have a bit of a different flavor for just eating cooked eggs. I used to find them in the co-op market in one town. Actually they are common here in China, but I don't need to use them currently.

Its a good idea to keep sharing meal ideas. I'll try to pass along some of the stir fry combos my housekeeper here uses for me.

Oh, I tried a recipe from one of the sites that was curried squash. Very very yummy. It called for coconut milk. The sauce was a bit runny but tasty if you put it in a bowl. Would be great for a main dish with chicken added. Sorry don't have the site at my fingertips but I bet a google search would bring it right up.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

You did mention the duck eggs and i forgot to mention that in my previous post. I'll search around to see if i can find some. I've never seen them anywhere but there's an Earth Fare about an hour away and i shop there every now and then. Also, there's a Fresh Market about 45 min. away and they may have them - they probably have the DCCC. Maybe we'll go this weekend. I did find some eggless recipes that looked pretty yummy and i think using gelatin or baking soda, water and oil....i think the oil was optional were 2 ways to replace eggs. I'll try making the yogurt this weekend using the pure encapsulations acidopholis i have - i'll use 2 like you suggested...thanks! I'm testing my heating pad right now. I put some water in a pot and covered it with a cloth and set it on top of the heating pad with a meat thermometer clipped to the side of it. I probably just need to buy a yogurt maker but it'd be nice to get a method down that i can make a bigger batch of it in case i can eat it. It seems to be staying at around 99 degrees and i've had it on med. I'll try it again tomorrow with it covered in alum. foil. - that will probably keep the heat in better. I could try the oven method but i'll have to change out my light bulb so the heating pad seemed easier! :P

fig girl Rookie

The library called today and told me the book was in so i went at lunch to get it. Yay! I'm about to start reading it. I looked at some of the recipes on-line today and some of them look really good....especially the cookies and muffins. It seems there's not many ingred. in a lot of the recipes which i like. Hopefully quicker and easier to make so it'll be quicker to eat!! :D What mult-vitamins are SCD legal? Sorry, i meant to do a search today. I just ordered the Pioneer chewable vitamins but haven't opened them yet. I just looked and they do have fructose in them....darn. I'll look and see if there's anything else in them that's not legal. I had just bought some Ultra Flora that i've been taking also but maybe i can take it back. It seems to be helping but it has the bifida in it.

I had printed out the soup and carrot recipe today to try and make this weekend to start it. I think for the last few days i've been kind of doing the SCD. I've been eating meat and veggies (salmon, chicken, broccoli, green beans, carrots, salad with chicken, sunflower seeds and homemade tahini dressing, peanut butter with bananas or celery, walnuts, almonds, strawberries, pineapple). I started making me some almond milk about a week ago to make smoothies with and yum! Love it! I usually make them with almond milk, strawberries, bananas or almond milk, bananas and peanut butter....so good. Well better get to reading! Have a good night everyone.

mftnchn Explorer
Hi Sherry,

I'm testing my heating pad right now. I put some water in a pot and covered it with a cloth and set it on top of the heating pad with a meat thermometer clipped to the side of it. I probably just need to buy a yogurt maker but it'd be nice to get a method down that i can make a bigger batch of it in case i can eat it. It seems to be staying at around 99 degrees and i've had it on med. I'll try it again tomorrow with it covered in alum. foil. - that will probably keep the heat in better. I could try the oven method but i'll have to change out my light bulb so the heating pad seemed easier! :P

I would use a big pot with a lid, not cover with a cloth instead. Wrap a big towel around the whole thing helps too. Then I'd use the pot like a water bath, and if the heating pad is on the bottom, not put your yogurt directly on the bottom of the pan, but on a little rack or something so it isn't directy connected to the hottest part. The water bath keeps everything even except where it touches the heat.

I wouldn't buy a machine for myself. I can't be bothered with making such small amounts and the machines that make big amounts are too spendy. I like my makeshift ways and they work really well.

I hadn't been checking the temp but I did this last time, and my yogurt was really good and quite thick!!! Yay!! The other thing I did was check the temp while scalding the milk. I haven't done that before, and I think I got it too hot before. Apparently that isn't good for goat milk. So maybe that was the difference re the thick yogurt. So I will definitely keep checking temps!

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer

Maybe call around for the duck eggs. My allergist was a great resource for where to get stuff. Maybe even google it??

pele Rookie
Maybe call around for the duck eggs. My allergist was a great resource for where to get stuff. Maybe even google it??

I was at the local feed store the other day when a couple came in selling both chicken eggs and duck eggs. If you live in the boonies, try a feed store. They sell ducklings and feed, so even if they don't carry the eggs, they will know who owns ducks.

We had both ducks and chickens a few years back and my husband ate a lot of duck eggs. I hated them, they taste strange, but he hates to see anything go to waste. Anyway, he had constant stomach pains that went away when he quit eating duck eggs (probably around the time the foxes hauled all of the ducks off to their larder).

mftnchn Explorer

Yes of course any of us can be sensitive to anything. True you might not like the duck eggs taste by itself but I don't notice the difference in baking.

AliB Enthusiast

So, those of you with heating pads, what are they? I am just looking at options - using the oven is ok but it doesn't keep the yogurt at an even temperature. I've seen a heating pad/mat for a pet's basket on Ebay but it is huge! I so wish I had a lovely warm airing cupboard like my Mum had.............

I'm considering the litre sized electric yogurt makers like they sell in Lakeland stores over here - does anyone use one of those or similar and is it any good?

fig girl Rookie
I would use a big pot with a lid, not cover with a cloth instead. Wrap a big towel around the whole thing helps too. Then I'd use the pot like a water bath, and if the heating pad is on the bottom, not put your yogurt directly on the bottom of the pan, but on a little rack or something so it isn't directy connected to the hottest part. The water bath keeps everything even except where it touches the heat.

I wouldn't buy a machine for myself. I can't be bothered with making such small amounts and the machines that make big amounts are too spendy. I like my makeshift ways and they work really well.

I hadn't been checking the temp but I did this last time, and my yogurt was really good and quite thick!!! Yay!! The other thing I did was check the temp while scalding the milk. I haven't done that before, and I think I got it too hot before. Apparently that isn't good for goat milk. So maybe that was the difference re the thick yogurt. So I will definitely keep checking temps!

Sherry

Thank you so much Sherry, this helped me so much! :) I made some goat yogurt last night with the pure encapsulations probiotics. I followed your instructions exactly and my thermometer has stayed right at 110 degrees the whole 24 hours! Yay! The heating pad stayed on med. the whole time. I heated the goat milk to about 185 degrees and let it cool to just under 110 degrees by sitting the pot in ice water in the sink. It's been about 24 hours so i'm about to put it in the fridge so hopefully i'll get to try it in the morning. I made some of the carrot/chicken soup last night also and have been eating on it today....it's pretty tasty! I saw where you can buy the duck eggs on line but we do have some feed stores here so i'll ask them....thanks pele! Thanks again Sherry on helping me out w/the yogurt....i'm so glad it wasn't hard to keep the temp. at around 110 degrees.

mftnchn Explorer

Wonderful! Glad it worked out so well. Hope it tastes good!

Ali do you have a bun warmer, rice cooker with a warm setting, a crock pot with a low setting? Any of these might work with some creativity.

I've never had a yogurt maker so can't help you with the brand. My guess is most would work fine.

AliB Enthusiast

I thought about a rice cooker and crock pot but the ones I have looked at don't tell you what temperature they sit at, just low, med and high, which means nothing! I don't want to go to the expense of buying one to end up finding it's no good. I have a feeling that the low temp on a crock pot is around 130 degrees C which would be much too warm.

I just looked up a bun warmer as I had never heard of one of those. Interesting, but still not sure of the temperature settings. I reckon I will go for the lakeland yogurt maker. 1 litre is a fairly small amount to make at a time but I can get a spare container which means I can at least have another lot on the go in the meantime. At least the yogurt maker is already set up for it.

Thanks for the ideas, anyway.

Archived