This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

aprilh Apprentice
So, those of you with heating pads, what are they? I am just looking at options - using the oven is ok but it doesn't keep the yogurt at an even temperature. I've seen a heating pad/mat for a pet's basket on Ebay but it is huge! I so wish I had a lovely warm airing cupboard like my Mum had.............

I'm considering the litre sized electric yogurt makers like they sell in Lakeland stores over here - does anyone use one of those or similar and is it any good?

I used one a heating pad the first time. Just a regular one that you get in the drugstore for putting on injuries or whatever. I stuck inside the crock pot (crock pot off) and put the jars of yogurt on top. Then put the lid on. I noticed that heat built up inside after a few hours and I had to turn the heating pad down to Med. I thought it was fine, but after a long time, heat built up again and the yogurt got too hot.

I recently purchased a yogurt maker. It goes up to 15 hours. What I do is set it for 12 hours. So, I start it at night about 7 or 8pm. Then set the timer again in the morning at 7 or 8 am. When I get home from work tomorrow - it will be ready about 7 or 8 that night.

I keep making boo boo's when I make the yogurt. The first time the yogurt was too hot while fermenting. The second batch I heated too high on the stove. Then today, I decided to make another batch using cow milk for my daughter and hubby and I heated that milk too high on the stove! It got up to 215 degrees. I am pretty sure cow milk can go up to higher heats though, so hopefully it will be okay.

Do you think that heating the goat milk too high contributes to a sour taste? My yogurt has not come out sweet at all. Its kind of tangy.

Also for the yogurt makers...you still need to go back and check the temps. I noticed mine was heated too high today. It doesn't have a temperature guage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mftnchn Explorer

Ali, that's right on the crock pot and rice cooker, I don't put the yogurt down inside, but up on top. I use a candy thermometer to check the temps especially the first time.

So for example, here's how I use my rice cooker. Fill the pan half full of water and put the rice cooker on warm. Open the lid and put a plate on the opening to cover it. Put a couple of hot pads on the plate and put my yogurt on those. Cover the whole thing with a big pot (I had one that just fit over the plate.) Wrap a towel around it. You can test the whole thing first by using water in a jar where you would put the yogurt.

The one liter size on the yogurt maker sounds doable.

My current method: I have a small hand warmer, sort of has a jelly like substance inside and plugs in to warm up. I put in under one part of a big pot of water, and put my yogurt in the water bath just careful to not touch where the warmer is. The temp checks are really good on this.

As you can see I get really creative making yogurt! LOL

fig girl Rookie
Wonderful! Glad it worked out so well. Hope it tastes good!

Ali do you have a bun warmer, rice cooker with a warm setting, a crock pot with a low setting? Any of these might work with some creativity.

I've never had a yogurt maker so can't help you with the brand. My guess is most would work fine.

It tasted really good.....the best yogurt i've had! I used goat milk and as April said it is a little tangy but i really like it that way. It tastes similar to buttermilk and i love buttermilk but haven't had it in a long time. It was not real thick but i think i've read where some of you had said yours was like that also. I made some gelatin today with some apple cider and it was really good. A little while after i ate it though my neck started hurting and my hands were achy. I looked in the book and it said to be careful of apple cider because some can use corn syrup and to call the Co. before using any. I ate a few slices of the Farmer's cheese i had bought also so i don't know which one it was....dang, i knew i should have waited and tried one at a time but i couldn't wait! lol I'll bet it was the apple cider though because i'm pretty sure corn does that to my hands. I'll try the cheese again in a couple of days - i really hope it isn't the cheese.

Ali as April said you should be able to get a heating pad at any drug store. As per Sherry's instructions, I just sat the heating pad directly on my kitchen counter and put the big pot on top of it, used a small wire rack that i use for my toaster oven and it fit perfectly in the bottom of the big pot. I poured some warm water in the pot and turned the heating pad on med. while heating the goat milk so it would start getting warm. Once the milk was mixed w/probiotics and ready to go into the pot i put the milk containers in ( i used 2 glass 16 oz. peanut butter jars) on top of the wire rack and then finished filling the pot with warm water up to where the milk was in the jars. Put the thermometer back in and put the lid on. I also wrapped the pot in towels and it stayed at around 110 the whole 24 hrs. I'll make me another batch this week since i only made 1 quart. It's so yummy it will go fast! :)

mftnchn Explorer

Congratulations! Sounds like a resounding success!

I think that because of the damage different ones don't tolerate different things even on the diet. So I'd just eliminate something when it doesn't agree and then try in a month or so--it just could be a healing issue rather than a true allergy or food intolerance.

At least that is what I am doing.

aprilh Apprentice
Ali as April said you should be able to get a heating pad at any drug store. As per Sherry's instructions, I just sat the heating pad directly on my kitchen counter and put the big pot on top of it, used a small wire rack that i use for my toaster oven and it fit perfectly in the bottom of the big pot. I poured some warm water in the pot and turned the heating pad on med. while heating the goat milk so it would start getting warm. Once the milk was mixed w/probiotics and ready to go into the pot i put the milk containers in ( i used 2 glass 16 oz. peanut butter jars) on top of the wire rack and then finished filling the pot with warm water up to where the milk was in the jars. Put the thermometer back in and put the lid on. I also wrapped the pot in towels and it stayed at around 110 the whole 24 hrs. I'll make me another batch this week since i only made 1 quart. It's so yummy it will go fast! :)

So you put a pot with some water in it on top of the heating pad? Hmmm......I might need to try that method. Maybe I could get my money back for this yogurt maker because its heating the yogurt too hot. I need something that stays at 110. Everytime I have made yogurt the temps rose over 110. I now have the yogurt maker's lid propped open to ventilate to prevent it from getting so hot.

mftnchn Explorer

I'd take it back too if it is too hot! That's a bummer.

fig girl Rookie
So you put a pot with some water in it on top of the heating pad? Hmmm......I might need to try that method. Maybe I could get my money back for this yogurt maker because its heating the yogurt too hot. I need something that stays at 110. Everytime I have made yogurt the temps rose over 110. I now have the yogurt maker's lid propped open to ventilate to prevent it from getting so hot.

I do, right on top. I used a long meat thermometer so i hope it was reading ok....it seemed to be. I had to put it laying slanted in the pot but it was covered in the water really well. I used it also when i was heating the goat milk to 185 degrees. The yogurt is pretty runny so i hope i did it right - it tastes really good. I would like to drip it to make some cheese but maybe if the next batch is a little more thick i will. Have you tried to drip the goat yogurt yet to make cheese? I've found some Friendship Farmer cheese at a Publix about 20 min. away so i'll try to go this weekend and get some. I want to make the cheesecake! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

I think it is common to be runny; has to do with the milk itself. Cream will make a very thick yogurt. I got pretty thick yogurt last time, I used my previous batch and put a half cup in or so, got the temperature and time right, and it was thick enough it was hard to pour.

fig girl Rookie
I think it is common to be runny; has to do with the milk itself. Cream will make a very thick yogurt. I got pretty thick yogurt last time, I used my previous batch and put a half cup in or so, got the temperature and time right, and it was thick enough it was hard to pour.

Oh good, thanks Sherry. I think i remember reading the goat milk is a little runnier. I guess i could use a half a cup of this batch to make my next batch? I can't remember if i read where you may not can do that with goat milk yogurt.

I did a search but can't seem to find a toothpaste that's SCD legal. Is there a certain kind we should use or does it matter? I usually use Tom's of Maine or Crest and Tom's of Maine has carageenan in it. I had to get some today so i just bought Crest. Thanks!

aprilh Apprentice

Hi all!

I think I am going to have to mix honey it the yogurt after its done fermenting while its still warm. When I try to mix it cold, it just globs up.

Any ideas for making it sweet and yummy? My daughter won't eat it at all if its the slightest tart.

My son likes it though so that's great!

I made my daughter some made from whole organic cow milk and it turned out a lot thicker. I try to make my son the goat yogurt since he has more digestive issues than she does.

I want to make some cheese cake but I can't find the dry curd cottage cheese. Plus I don't think I'm ready for cheese yet.

Can anyone recommend some bread recipes that turned out good that don't have cheese in them?

mftnchn Explorer

What about a banana and honey with yogurt whirled in the blender?

I don't have any trouble with the honey mixing in when I use the blender; I've been adding frozen fruit though and making a smoothie.

I have only tried the foccacia bread made with cheese, so I don't know about that.

pele Rookie
Hi all!

I want to make some cheese cake but I can't find the dry curd cottage cheese. Plus I don't think I'm ready for cheese yet.

Can anyone recommend some bread recipes that turned out good that don't have cheese in them?

Here is a link to places to find dry curd cottage cheese

Open Original Shared Link

I am enjoying a "bread-free" diet, but occasionally make almond bars by combining 2 eggs, a cup of almond butter, a tsp of almond extract and 1/3 cup of honey and baking it in a 9 x 13 brownie pan at 350 until done. It is not bread, but you can spread stuff on it or make little sandwiches by layering pieces and pretend it is.

mftnchn Explorer

April, BTW, I remember reading that the yogurt should be carefully moved to the fridge when finished to chill for 8 hours. Not sure how it would be if you stirred it up right away.

I have been satisfied so far with the muffins which I make in a pan, so can be cut into the shape you want.

Currently my issue is figuring out a way to make the almond flour--not much baking until that is resolved.

ShayFL Enthusiast

That bread sounds interesting....might give it a go.

www.digestivewellness.com makes the BEST almond flour. You can buy in bulk and freeze it. It will keep a long time.

mftnchn Explorer

Well the shipping costs would be pretty prohibitive, plus I don't have freezer space to store that amount. So I am trying to figure out my best option for making it myself at least for now.

fig girl Rookie
Well the shipping costs would be pretty prohibitive, plus I don't have freezer space to store that amount. So I am trying to figure out my best option for making it myself at least for now.

Hi Sherry,

I started making almond milk about 3 wks. ago and i dry the pulp in the oven and then put it in the food processor. I use the recipe from the "Eating Gluten Free" cookbook by Shreve Stockton. I take 1 cup of almonds and put them in a large bowl (the almonds plump up so need a large bowl) and cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge for 10 hrs. or overnight. After soaking appropriate time, discard water and put almonds in blender w/3 cups of fresh water and blend on high until creamy - this can take a few min. Then i place a strainer (it says to line it w/cheesecloth but i don't - my strainer has double mesh so it works fine) over a bowl and pour the milk in. I push the pulp down in the strainer to get the milk out. Then i put the pulp back into the blender and add 1 1/2 cups of water and repeat process. I put the pulp in the fridge until ready to make the flour or if i have time i'll go ahead and make it - i spread it on a cookie sheet lined w/alum. foil (i haven't bought new cookie sheets yet so mine are glutened) i just kind of sprinkle it all around with my fingers and put in the oven for 200 degrees for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. The recipe calls for 250 degrees for 2 hours but i noticed mine started browning so i turned it down to 200 - it says you want to dehydrate it not cook it. Once it is completely dry, grind it into flour in a food processor or blender. It's really good - i keep it in my freezer. Hope this helps - if you don't want to make almond milk i have seen other recipes by just grinding almonds in a blender or food processor. I juice and my juicer will grind nuts and make nut butter but i haven't tried it yet - maybe i'll try this weekend. I had a juiceman juicer for years and it died not too long ago and i ordered the omega and love it. It will also make ice cream using frozen fruit...yum!

mftnchn Explorer

Well I think I am making progress; I found almonds with just salt today, should be okay. Also I discovered that I maybe can use an appliance I already have for making the almond flour. Its a grinder that I bought for grinding gluten-free grains--but the typical use here is for grinding up herbs for Chinese medicine. They told me when I bought it, it was only for very dry things so I thought I couldn't use it for almonds. But today I discovered that I can use it and it is better than any of the local blenders/food processors in terms of outcome. So tomorrow I will try my first batch (have to freeze the almonds first).

Its taken three days of looking...but maybe the end is in sight.

On another note, I am going to go back to the intro for 2-3 days. Seems like the last week or two the quality of BM has gone down with more bloating. Could be the almonds I had which had added "flavorings" or could be I just can't handle some of the more advanced foods like cabbage and stuff.

I figure if I go back to intro and things improve that I'll probably have to add things much more slowly.

aprilh Apprentice
April, BTW, I remember reading that the yogurt should be carefully moved to the fridge when finished to chill for 8 hours. Not sure how it would be if you stirred it up right away.

I have been satisfied so far with the muffins which I make in a pan, so can be cut into the shape you want.

Currently my issue is figuring out a way to make the almond flour--not much baking until that is resolved.

Yes, I remember reading that you put it straight in the fridge. Wonder why that is?

This time I stirred in the honey very gently while it was still warm. I hope this works because Trying to blend it up in the blender each time takes up a huge amount of time.

Tonight I made apple muffins, but instead of muffins I made it like a cake. It turned out very good! I really like some of these recipes. I am having more luck with almond flour than I had with any of the gluten free stuff!

Glad you found some almonds!

mftnchn Explorer

I agree the almond flour stuff is much more tasty. Looking forward to trying more once I get the process down for making flour.

Thanks fig girl for that idea. I don't use almond milk so I probably won't bother with all of that, its a good idea though to make flour from the leftover.

I think I have a way now to do the almonds just straight; the machine I have looks in some ways like a good food processor--that's what the blade looks like. But a very very heavy duty blade in a stainless steel thing smaller than a food processor bowl with a stainless steel top that screws on tightly. I should be able to do 2 cups of almonds at a time. If this works I will be thrilled--no new appliance needed.

mftnchn Explorer

April, if you daugher is drinking the yogurt okay, maybe you could put a little water in a cup and add the honey, melt it in the microwave. Then add your yogurt and stir. It would be more runny but maybe she wouldn't care.

fig girl Rookie

That's great Sherry your appliance may work - sounds like it will. My juicer will grind nuts also so i'm glad you mentioned it - i had forgotten it did that so i'll try that soon. I had started making the almond milk right before trying the SCD but i think i'll quit drinking it for a while since it's listed to try later in the diet. I'm going to try and do the intro diet really strict for a while - a couple of days this week i ate some raw strawberries and a raw apple and i had some gas pain and backache (Ali - i get the backache too). I had baked some apples and pears and i think they are giving me gas right now so yesterday i didn't eat any - just had a brown speckled, non-green banana. I'll eat those as my fruit for a while.

I sauteed some spinach w/olive oil and a little sea salt the past 2 nights and i handled that ok...yay! Right now i'm just eating non-green bananas, broiled chicken or fish, carrot/chicken soup, well-steamed carrots and de-seeded green beans, sauteed spinach, yogurt. I wonder if i can juice some carrots and spinach right now - i know it's raw but it seems like i read where you can juice any vegetables you're able to eat. It should be ok since the juice is easily digested - i'll try to find more info. before juicing.

Probably tmi (lol!) but a day or two after beginning the diet (which i can't pinpoint an exact day since i haven't followed the intro exactly until yesterday - but i'll say 9/19, so a little over a week) but my poo was less in quantity than before the diet so maybe i'm absorbing more? I hope so. A couple of days this week i went first thing in the morning which is unusual for me. I have been really tired the past few days but read where that can be die-off symptoms and i had the green fog coming out of my mouth again lol! The horrible taste and breath!! Guess that's from die-off too hopefully.

April - you had mentioned loguls (sp?) for your breath before - what are those and where do you get them? Oh and your cake sounds wonderful....i can't wait to get more into the diet and try some of the yummy sounding recipes. I think i'll enjoy baking with the almond flour as well.

Sorry this is so long guys! :) Hope everyone is feeling well today!

ShayFL Enthusiast

Hey just wanted to mention that I made the coconut yogurt. Bought a fresh coconut. Only put the white flesh in my Vitamix (worlds greatest appliance ever!!!) with water and some honey. Blended until the right temp. Added my yogurt starter, poured into the cups and let ferment for 9 hours. It is delicious!!!

fig girl Rookie
Hey just wanted to mention that I made the coconut yogurt. Bought a fresh coconut. Only put the white flesh in my Vitamix (worlds greatest appliance ever!!!) with water and some honey. Blended until the right temp. Added my yogurt starter, poured into the cups and let ferment for 9 hours. It is delicious!!!

Hi Shay, that sounds really yummy! I want to try making it with coconut. I had found a young coconut a while back and the coconut water was so delicious. Did you use a young coconut or just a regular coconut? I had found the young coconut at Earth Fare but it's about an hour away so i don't go very often. What is the correct temp. for the coconut milk before you ferment and after? I've seen instructions somewhere on how to make the yogurt w/coconut, almond milk but can't remember. I just made a 2 quart batch w/goat milk and with the Kirkman acidophilus i had ordered and just tasted it and it's not as tart as my first batch. I let it ferment for about 28 hrs. this time rather than 24 so i don't know if that was why or if it has to do with the acidophilus i used - i used pure encapsulations w/the first batch since i hadn't received the Kirkman yet. Both batches were delicious - i like it either way. I think i'll invest in a vitamix one day - they seem amazing!

ShayFL Enthusiast

The Vitamix heats the milk up nicely as it whirls. About 110 is what I shoot for. No more than this. Takes about 5 minutes on med/high speed. I use a thermometer. I never tested my yogurt maker's temp. But it works well. I have made both almond and coconut milk yogurt. I used the young coconut.

This is my maker:

Cuisipro Donvier Electronic Yogurt Maker

I like the perfect serving size cups too. I poured the coconut milk in with the white meat of the nut and some water and honey. I used a probiotic I found at my local health food store that had the right organisms (and gluten/dairy/rice free). GI Pro is now backordered till November. :(

AliB Enthusiast

Very, very interesting little snippet I cut out of the paper today. Apparently there has been some research to show that women who take probiotics during pregnancy and who give them to their babies, halve the risk of their babies getting eczema.

Even more interesting is that the research found that whilst Lactobacillus Rhamnosus worked well, bifidobacterium did nothing at all!

Doesn't that back up Elaine's research where she feels that we are better avoiding bifidus - yet so many so-called probiotics are full of the stuff! The last paragraph is very clear that many of the commercial 'probiotic' yogurts and drinks are a total waste of money and actually can be extremely counter-productive.

"Experts have warned that many probiotics do not contain the right sort of bacteria in the right quantities and often contain large amounts of sugar". Exactly.

I believe that more and more of this will come out as time goes on and the nutrient starved high-carb, high-sugar Western diet fuelled 'rogue' bacteria and gut dysbiosis 'theory' will, in the end, be proved as a large, if not the largest factor in the epidemic of 'Western' diseases.

Just out of interest the paper also carried an article about the extremely high levels of salt, and particularly sugar in children's cereals. As the great majority of kids on the SAD eat this stuff for breakfast every day, no wonder there is an explosion of diabetes in the very young now.

Archived