Kathleen Smith

Carrot Cake For Thanksgivine

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone

I am going to make my first Carrot Cake ever. Gluten Free.

I am not a very good "baker" but I am going to give it a practice run this weekend for a potential thanksgiving day dessert. It is either Apple Crisp or Carrot Cake.

I have the gluten free flour but are the following things gluten free or do I need to seek out a substitute:

confectioner's sugar

corn oil

baking soda

baking powder

You are good to go. Argo baking powder is gluten-free..... a blend of gluten-free flour is better than plain rice flour.... I believe Annalise Roberts has a carrot cake recipe on her site.

Do you have (or your gluten-free flour) xanthan gum?

I want to make this one sometime:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006...arrot-cake.html

Karina makes everything look so amazing (her recipes are just as yummy)

Pamela's pancake mix makes a really good carrot cake but it looks like you are good to go on flour stuff.

Make sure to check your powdered sugar, some brands have flour in it to keep from sticking together but other brands use corn starch, just check it before using it.

Lauren

Make sure to check your powdered sugar, some brands have flour in it to keep from sticking together but other brands use corn starch, just check it before using it.

Powdered sugar, should be nothing but 100% pure powder sugar.

Powdered sugar, should be nothing but 100% pure powder sugar.

It is not, when i was at home last my dad who is not gluten free told me about this and then we checked out powder sugar and it said that it had cornstartch in it. I dont know why it is like this but i am just warning eveyone.

Lauren

It is not, when i was at home last my dad who is not gluten free told me about this and then we checked out powder sugar and it said that it had cornstartch in it. I dont know why it is like this but i am just warning eveyone.

Lauren

Old posts talked about this, you are right...read labels and be safe! I bought McCormick seasoning mixes b/c I heard it was a safe company. I checked the chili mix WHEN I got home and it listed wheat, but not the other seasoning I bought. Goes to show me not to assume anything.

If you're in a hurry, you can substitute baby food carrots for grated carrots. Carrot cake, m-m-m-m....

On that site it does not say anything about rye, barley, oats, or corn. The powdered sugar that we have at home has cornstarch in it, and the one that i have here on campus with me has cornstarch in it as well, every brand is different, i have domino. It is just smart to check labels no matter what the food is. I once was eating corn tortilla chips and then decided to check the bag and there was wheat in them.

Lauren

Here is another topic about black bean brownies that also has a suggestion on how to make a bean carrot cake. I have made the carrot cake version three times. First one with splenda (good but don't like the aftertaste from splenda), second one with regular sugar (it tasted really good), and the third one I made with truvia (this went over great as well). It was super easy and requires no flour! I had people try it at work and they all loved it and could not believe it was made out of beans when I told them.

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...c=62563&hl=

Do you have (or your gluten-free flour) xanthan gum?

I want to make this one sometime:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006...arrot-cake.html

Karina makes everything look so amazing (her recipes are just as yummy)

I LOVE this carrot cake. DS always wants me to bake it for him and even DD (who isn't gluten-free/DF/CF) loves it. I substitute apple sauce or canned pumpkin for the yogurt.

I make the frosting with Earth Balance spread instead of butter and omit the cream cheese. I can't tell the difference and I used to be a butter snob (before DS went CF/DF).

I LOVE this carrot cake. DS always wants me to bake it for him and even DD (who isn't gluten-free/DF/CF) loves it. I substitute apple sauce or canned pumpkin for the yogurt.

I make the frosting with Earth Balance spread instead of butter and omit the cream cheese. I can't tell the difference and I used to be a butter snob (before DS went CF/DF).

Oh thanks...I bought carrots to make either this carrot cake or to convert a gluten recipe for carrot muffins. I am glad to know this recipe is a winner! Thanks again!

If you don't want to do it completely from scratch, Namaste brand has a Spice Cake mix that all you add is raisins and nuts...and carrot shreds. It is AMAZING. My gluten-eating coworkers ask for it!