BethJ

gluten-free Bacardi Rum Cake From Betty Crocker Cake Mix

Rate this topic

I finally got up my courage to try the rum cake which has become a holiday tradition in our household. I'm not much of a baker and tinkering with cake recipes makes me very nervous. It came out slightly smaller than the original and the color didn't seem to be as dark . . . still very pretty. I used a light rum instead of the dark so perhaps that's one reason.

Here's the recipe . . . if anybody tinkers with it and it comes out better, I'd appreciate any tips!

Gluten Free Bacardi Rum Cake

Cake:

1 cup chopped pecans

1 Betty Crocker gluten-free Yellow Cake Mix

1 3 3/4 oz. pkg. Instant Vanilla Pudding - check to be sure it's gluten-free

3 eggs

1/2 cup dark rum

1/3 cup water

1/2 cup oil

2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla

Glaze:

1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter

1/4 cup water

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup dark rum

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Spray a Bundt pan with Pam or grease it well. Sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly over the bottom.

Mix all the remaining cake ingredients together and beat for 4 minutes. Pour into greased pan and bake at 325 for about 40 minutes. Start checking after 30 minutes and when a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, it's done.

While cake is baking, melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Stir in water and sugar and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in rum.

While the cake is still in the pan, punch holes all over the surface with a toothpick and pour glaze over it. Let the cake sit and absorb the glaze for at least 30 minutes. When glaze has been absorbed and the cake is cool, invert it over a plate and remove from pan.

It's best refrigerated and should last a long time - if it doesn't get eaten first.

This is a very dense cake. If you prefer a milder rum flavor, the rum can be added to the glaze and boiled a minute or two to cook out some of the alcohol.

I hope you enjoy it. It's been a real treat for me. I watched everybody eat one my stepdaughter prepared last year. My entire Christmas dinner was gluten-free this year and nobody even noticed! :)

Yummy! Thanks Beth, this sounds great for New Years.

OMGawd--I remember that cake! Haven't had it in years. Thanks for reworking it for gluten-free--I'll have to try it :D

Beth, Thanks for the cake review. I use to make this all the time back in the gluten age. I should try it again.

So glad your Holidays went well being gluten free. My family wants to me make the same dinner next year (minus the new cheese cake recipe I tried!).

Beth, thank you so much! I copied your recipe to my Word docs recipe file. I'll try it for New Years.