knittygirl1014

Need Help With Lunch Interview

Rate this topic

I could swear I saw a thread on this before, but I can't find it. If anyone can point me in the right direction...

I have a full day interview with several departments at a Biotech company coming up soon. The coordinator told me she wants to take me out to lunch that day. How do I bring up my dietary needs in a way that doesn't sound like I'm a primadonna? I'm sure they will be more understanding than most since their work is biomolecular assays and stuff... I'm just not sure the best way (or time) to bring it up. It's in another city but I am familiar with it since I went to college there.

Tips?

I would politely and professionally say something like I have a few food allergies do you mind if we go somewhere that can accomodate me? Then I would ask what's in the area and select something with a gluten-free menu or offer to check a few places out and get back to her. Chances are they'll say something like oh I have a friend who has allergies so I understand and it'll be a non-issue.

Good luck on the interviews. I would say that confidence will make more of an impression than what you eat.

Good luck on the interviews. I would say that confidence will make more of an impression than what you eat.

I agree. I've only been gluten free for a year though and I'm still getting used to how people react. Some people are curious, some are put out, some are kind of rude, and some are overly accommodating, which can be awkward. I guess I will just ask where they are considering going so I can phone ahead and check it out.

I could swear I saw a thread on this before, but I can't find it. If anyone can point me in the right direction...

I have a full day interview with several departments at a Biotech company coming up soon. The coordinator told me she wants to take me out to lunch that day. How do I bring up my dietary needs in a way that doesn't sound like I'm a primadonna? I'm sure they will be more understanding than most since their work is biomolecular assays and stuff... I'm just not sure the best way (or time) to bring it up. It's in another city but I am familiar with it since I went to college there.

Tips?

I would contact her and just tell her something like "I'm really looking forward to lunch with you. I was wondering if you knew where we might be eating as I have some dietary restrictions for medical reasons. If I'm going out to eat someplace unfamiliar I call ahead and make sure that they have food I can eat without becoming ill."

This might prompt a Q/A period where you can explains a little more if you feel comfortable or she might simply respond with "Oh, where would you feel most comfortable then?"

Make sure you have done a little research ahead of time to have a selection of places that you know can prepare gluten-free food though in case she does put the choice on you then give her two or three and let her choose. That way it is a partnership and you aren't totally in the driver's seat so she doesn't feel (as the interviewer) like she has lost control.

I would just say that I have food allergies and ask if you can know where they will be eating. If somebody isn't understanding about it they might be not so nice to work for. I think food allergy is just so easy to understand for people. They don't need to know the details about it.

I agree. I've only been gluten free for a year though and I'm still getting used to how people react. Some people are curious, some are put out, some are kind of rude, and some are overly accommodating, which can be awkward. I guess I will just ask where they are considering going so I can phone ahead and check it out.

^ Agreed. Good luck. Some people are offended. I found, initially, most people didn't quite understand the severity of the restriction, and maybe I thought I was just being difficult.

But I guess like someone said, just try to be professional and matter of fact and mention that you do have a food intolerance. Not denying her offer, but just saying that...ya know, it's a thing and recommend some places you can eat at. (And I might eat a big breakfast before you start the interview process in case you end up only able to eat bald salad or something ;) )

^ Agreed. Good luck. Some people are offended. I found, initially, most people didn't quite understand the severity of the restriction, and maybe I thought I was just being difficult.

But I guess like someone said, just try to be professional and matter of fact and mention that you do have a food intolerance. Not denying her offer, but just saying that...ya know, it's a thing and recommend some places you can eat at. (And I might eat a big breakfast before you start the interview process in case you end up only able to eat bald salad or something ;) )

:lol::lol::lol: "Bald salad" made me laugh!

I think people don't get the word "intolerance." It just sounds so mild or foreign to them. Allergy, (even though it's technically not an allergy they usually don't know that) makes them think of scary things like hives and anaphylaxis and they will bend over backward to help you because they don't want to give you CPR.

I just got diagnosed with celiac, but I've known I had a wheat intolerance and lactose intolerance for a long time now. Whenever I say intolerance people look at me like an alien. :lol: