jasonD2

I Think I'm In Trouble

Rate this topic

Next week is my company sales meeting. There is a mandatory group dinner at the following restaurant:

http://www.bravoitalian.com/dinner.html

This doesnt seem like a safe place to eat for me and I will feel very uncomfortable ordering food here. any thoughts on how i can handle this? I guess i could just get wine or maybe a salad but i wouldnt trust a salad coming out of that kitchen

thoughts please? ;)

Call them to let them know when you will be there and that you need a gluten free dinner. Speak to the owner, manager and/or chef if possible. Do that today so they have time to get something together. Do not surprise them when you walk in the door. Let us know what they say and how it goes.

Meat/chicken/fish can always be grilled on foil to avoid cross contamination.

I agree- call them.. I can tell you that they do have gluten-free foods available & many of the Bravo's even have Tinkyada pasta available.

I've never had a problem with Bravo's. The day you go you should also phone in to the manager to remind him or her that you will be dining & give them a time to expect your group...

When I need to attend a group function (last one was a rehearsal dinner) at an unfamiliar restaurant, I call the restaurant ahead of time and ask to speak to the chef about my food allergies. I either consult the menu online or stop at the restaurant ahead of time to look through the menu to determine whether anything seems relatively safe or adaptable to my allergy restriction. Then I ask the chef if he knows whether those specific entrees can be prepared safely given my restrictions. I tell him exactly when I'm eating at his restaurant. So he can alert other chefs, if he won't be there that night. If I talk to the chef or management in person, I let them copy my allergy alert card (lists my allergies and possible foods). So they have a convenient list in the kitchen with my name and meal time.

When I actually visit the restaurant to order, I remind my server that I talked to the chef beforehand and also give him my allergy alert card. I ask that the card stay with my entree. So whoever brings my meal won't add any allergens (extra sauces or garnishes), because whoever takes my order isn't necessarily the same person who brings my entree. If my entree arrives and looks suspicious, I don't hesitate to send it back ASAP. If all goes well, I graciously tip the server.

Rather than worry myself sick about whether I'll get a 'safe' meal, I do all that work ahead of time. I NEVER assume any food will be 'safe' unless I alert the chef, management and servers. That allowed me to eat safely in 10 different restaurants during my last 3 week vacation in Maui. I use the same approach even with gluten free restaurants, like Outback or P F Chang's, because gluten-free doesn't necessarily mean dairy, soy, egg or cane sugar free (some of my other allergens). Using that approach I haven't been contaminated by restaurant food for over 5 years.

SUE

I'm sure the chef will work with you. I don't know that restaurant but from the menu it looks nice. I know you have many sensitivities, but this can work. I totally understand why you are afraid to eat there, but if you do the prep ahead of time, I'm sure it will be fine. I hope you can put your fear aside and enjoy the company.

Those of us who are still sick and dealing with other intolerances know the fear you feel. I am trying to conquer lots of fears myself right now. Extra wine will help you relax! ;)

Definitely not the greatest place for somebody with celiac, but call ahead.

richard

This may be too late, but the chef at my local Bravo is WONDERFUL. Very accomodating and happy to serve. Best of luck - I hope it goes well. Let us all know what happens!