brianw

Is Weight Gain Normal?

Rate this topic

When I went gluten-free over a month ago, I expected I'd drop some weight with the diet restrictions. Instead, I'm putting weight on. Is weight gain a normal/usual thing to struggle with? I'd really rather lose weight at this point in my life...!

This was and is my problem after 5 years .. Before diagnoses I had dropped about 60 lbs in the 6 months before they figured out it was celiac. IN the following 6 months I put on 80 lbs!

All I can say is be carful and count calories. It really does sneak up on you, Eating gluten free does not equate to eating low cal. Often with our restrictions the caloric content is higher.

good luck and read labels!

When I went gluten-free over a month ago, I expected I'd drop some weight with the diet restrictions. Instead, I'm putting weight on. Is weight gain a normal/usual thing to struggle with? I'd really rather lose weight at this point in my life...!

Definitely check the calories of everything you're eating. If you're replacing gluten dishes with their non-gluten versions, you're almost certainly getting more calories. The non-gluten versions are more calorie dense. Check your breads, treats, baking mixes, etc.

Good advice so far--I lost weight before being diagnosed and as soon as I went gluten-free, I put it all back and than some.... <_<

I think the reasons include that we absorb our foods better as we heal, and that includes fats. Also, our breads and gluten-free "substitute" baked goods have more calories than the wheat based ones.

My doctor said it's not unusual for a person on a gluten-free diet to have weight gain and also elevated cholesterol. I deal with that by cutting out almost all sugar and white flours (almost, but not completely...moderation). I eat lean meats, poultry, nuts, produce, olive oil, etc and have been incorporating flax meal which I grind myself into my diet.

The extra fiber from the flax, fruits, and veggies is helpful in controlling my weight since I feel fuller and I've been able to lower my cholesterol substantially. Exercise helps, too :) Even a 20-30 minute brisk walk or whatever you enjoy doing.

When I went on the gluten-free diet, I expected to gain weight from what I had read. I decided my health was more important than my weight. My long range plan was, and remains, to eat what my body needed for 2 years while I healed. After that time, I would diet as necessary.

Well, the first 3-6 months, I was ravenous and gained 10 lbs. The next 9 months, I gained another 10 lbs. At the 14 month mark, I got nervous because I was continuing to gain weight, but kept on eating. Well, now it is 19 months and my body has settled. I've unintentionally lost the second 10 lbs and I'm eating a normal amount of food again.

Since I had a cholesterol problem in the past, I was strict the first year and kept my meat to 1/4 lbs/day with protien from soy and other beans. My cholesterol dopped 50 pts and was in the normal range for the first time.

The point of my rambling for me, eating as much high nutrition food as I wanted while my body was healing worked out perfectly for me. Maybe it will for you.

Thanks, everyone. In reading your replies here, plus a few on threads in similar topics (perhaps I should have read those first), I feel a little better. It appears to be a common thing. At least I'm not doing something wrong. It all boils down to careful diet and exercise, huh? I guess I'm going to get on the treadmill a bit more....