This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Makes Me So Mad!

macocha

macocha Contributor

I use cream of celery/mushroom/chicken for a lot of my cooking. Not so much anymore as Campbells is not gluten free - from what I have read :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wildwood Apprentice

Progresso has a creamy mushroom soup that is gluten free. I used it last week to make tuna noodle casserole (with gluten free corn pasta). Instead of adding a can of soup and a can of milk I just put in the can of Progresso Soup with no additional liquid (it is not as thick as Campbell's condensed) and followed the rest of the recipe as I always have. It tasted very good.

macocha Contributor

thanks! corn noodles? hmmm.... he does not like the tinkiyada or Quincoa(sp?) noodles.

wildwood Apprentice

thanks! corn noodles? hmmm.... he does not like the tinkiyada or Quincoa(sp?) noodles.

I just started using these. My daughter likes them better than Tinkyada. I usually buy Sams Mills brand online. The lasagne corte are similar in shape to egg noodles. Once (and only once) my daughter found them at Big Lots for 99cents for a one pound bag. I keep looking hoping they get them again at this price, but so far no luck :(

jerseyangel Proficient

I use cream of celery/mushroom/chicken for a lot of my cooking. Not so much anymore as Campbells is not gluten free - from what I have read :(

You can also make your own cream soup base and flavor it any way you like--

Gluten Free Cream Soup Base

modified from Bette Hagman's recipe

1 c. dry milk powder

1 c. white rice flour

2 Tbs. dehydrated minced onions

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together. Store on the counter.

To make cream soup from the base, mix together:

1/4 c. base

1/4 c. cold water

Add:

1 c. hot chicken broth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbling.

sa1937 Community Regular

Campbell's makes me so mad, too!!! I miss the condensed cream soups (especially Cream of Mushroom) as they are used in so many recipes. I've tried Progresso Creamy Mushroom and while I like to eat it a lot, it hasn't worked as well in recipes as I'd like.

I emailed them last week inquiring about the Bean with Bacon as I didn't find any offending ingredients on the label. I have a recipe for Kielbasa Bean Soup using the Bean with Bacon as the base. I think it's a BH&G recipe dating from the 70's and is so yummy and also easy - tastes like homemade.

Here is their response. My comments specifically referred to the cream soups. I don't know why they have to use wheat in everything.

..... we received your message and appreciate your taking the time to contact Campbell Soup Company.

We are happy to share our Gluten Free list with you. Please visit Open Original Shared Link where you can download the most current gluten free list.

Campbell's primary concern is the safety of our consumers. Each of our soup recipes is hand crafted, which explains why some soups contain food starches and others do not. Many of our soups share manufacturing processes and equipment with gluten containing ingredients and products. For this reason, Campbell's has decided not to label gluten-free on soups where we could not ensure compliance with our strict gluten-free standards.

We have forwarded your comments on to the appropriate department. We appreciate feedback like yours because it helps us become aware of consumer preferences and concerns.

Thank you for visiting the Campbell Soup Company website. Campbell Soup Company Web Team

LXR/cl

katerzz Newbie

Try this: Works great but doesn't store. A lot healthier too I'd imagine since its not processed.

1 cup cold milk

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 1/2 Tbsp butter

1 tsp chicken bouillon

1/2 tsp salt

dash of pepper

Instructions

1. In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.

2. Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.

3. Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.

Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP:

Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP:

Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Chicken Soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CELERY SOUP

Stir in 1/2 cup saut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

What could you use if you are avoiding dairy?

jerseyangel Proficient

Rice/almond/soy milks.

I was dairy free for 5 years, for cream sauces I used Pacific rice milk.

ciavyn Contributor

How about almond milk and soy butter? Or whatever butter substitute you prefer.

Roda Rising Star

How about almond milk and soy butter? Or whatever butter substitute you prefer.

Thanks. I was not sure if almond milk would work or not. I've been making my own and using it for smoothies, cereal and in baking. I recently used it in my pancake recipe and it was delish.

• 3 weeks later...
ptkds Community Regular

There is this brand of condensed soups I have found at HEB's called Tasty classics. It is a product from Canada. I think they have it as one of their generic soups. I find them on the bottom shelf. It is a light gray can. They are gluten-free. They aren't labeled gluten-free, but there is no gluten on the label. We use this brand and it always turns out wonderful!

Swimmr Contributor

Progresso has a creamy mushroom soup that is gluten free. I used it last week to make tuna noodle casserole (with gluten free corn pasta). Instead of adding a can of soup and a can of milk I just put in the can of Progresso Soup with no additional liquid (it is not as thick as Campbell's condensed) and followed the rest of the recipe as I always have. It tasted very good.

It has MSG in it though :(

i-geek Rookie

Ugh, Campbells. I took a big hit from that the first time my mom attempted to cook a gluten-free meal for me (she was careful with the big ingredients- no added flour, made sure rice was okay, etc) but never thought to check the soup label before she added it to the recipe as she wasn't expecting wheat flour in the tomato soup. Her mind has been totally blown by the amount of crap that is added to our food, now that she's learned to read all labels.

luvs2eat Collaborator

THANK YOU for the creamed soup base recipes! I just spent an hour looking thru an awesome crockpot cooking list and every other recipe used a Campbells soup! Now, I can consider trying the recipes!!

kayo Explorer

I'm dairy and soy free as well as gluten free and make a home made tuna noodle casserole that is super yummy.

I make a roux of gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill) and light olive oil.

Then add hemp milk or coconut milk (So Delicious makes a coconut milk that is not coconut-y in flavor)

I use Tinkyada pasta but the trick is to undercook it. This way it's not mushy in the casserole.

I add tuna, mushrooms, peas and pimentos and season to taste.

Plop it all into a baking dish and top with gluten-free bread crumbs (I save the ends from my home baked loaves and freeze them for making bread crumbs)

I have also used potato chips (is that so 1972 or what?)

It comes out awesome.

Archived