The Glutenator

Still Want To Live Life! But Nervous...

Rate this topic

I have the opportunity to go to Germany for work, and want to take a month off after the conference to go to France and Spain. I am very exited, but apprehensive about the eating situation. I don't want celiac disease to prevent me from traveling as I think it is an amazing part of life! my family has also voiced there concerns and some think I should not go at all. Does any one have any advice? Can I make it for a month with out starving to death? I am disappointed to be missing out on the cultural foods, but there is still lot to see! Any support or advice would be very appreciated!

My vote is to go for it. I would do a lot of research beforehand about the places that you will be visiting. Find out places to eat and places to buy food. You can also ship from here to your hotel. Find hotels with mini fridges and microwaves.

Do you speak any French or Spanish? There are triumph dining cards in Mexican spanish and french. Hopefully you won't annoy the Spaniards with Mexican spanish, but it's better than nothing if you don't speak the language.

I spent three weeks in New Zealand and Australia. Granted the awareness is a little better there than here, but I didn't know that going into it. I shipped food to my hotels. I did a LOT of research on the internet first. There are meals that you can make where you just add water. There is another meal much like a TV dinner, that is vaccuum sealed & ok at room temp so you don't have to worry about keeping it cool (or shipping it cool for that matter). I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but I know it was kosher too.

This looks like it might be a helpful site:

http://aglutenfreeguide.com/travel

Let us know what you decide!!

If I were there I would be beating you over the head with a guide book yelling GO! GO!

It's just food. You can always find something to eat, and just as you've learned to cope here, you can learn to cope anywhere.

I've heard that they're much more sensitive to celiac over there than they are here. Have a great time!

Thanks for all your support. I am 24 and my parents have actually said they "forbid" me to go because they are so worried. I don' know what to say to ease their minds and it is really stressing me out.

I was 24 once and my parents forbade me to do something or other. Do you need their monetary support? There comes a time to break away and do your thing. Not one person so far has said don't go, and we are ALL staunch gluten-fearers. It's understandable that your parents worry about you, but I am sure we will be joined by more voices that say it CAN be done. Maybe you could even use what you find here to help convince them to support you in your decision to go. Tell them about your research that you will do about places to eat and food you can buy. Then, after you have done your research you can SHOW them what you found and what your plan of attack is. My parents were also once very overbearing and controlling, and that is how I dealt with them. And it really worked. Now they leave me alone thank goodness, but it's part of the process, and yes I was still going through it in my 20s, so don't feel bad about that. Let us know how it goes and how else we can help!! :)

Europe is much more advanced about celiac and gluten free eating than the USA. Go enjoy and be sure to report back here about what you find and places to eat. Son just returned from a week in Paris and a week in Germany. He absolutely loved Germany. Probably will not go back to Paris. Germany is so much better. Enjoy.

Found this article:

http://celiac-disease.com/eating-gluten-free-in-berlin-germany-part-1/

Beside you are an adult. You can go if you if you desire. Why pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Thanks for all your support. I am 24 and my parents have actually said they "forbid" me to go because they are so worried. I don' know what to say to ease their minds and it is really stressing me out.

Believe it or not, I am always a bit nervous when I come to the U.S. :lol::o , away from the safety of what I know. However, of course I have this handy reference guide right here to keep me on the right path. Every country has different ways of doing food, but where I go to in Nevada has to be the gluten capital of the U.S. Someone even asked me if that was sugar :lol: That being said, there is so much food that is naturally gluten free and so much more awareness on the continent than in the U.S. ... you would be missing out on a tremendous experience to let fear of food keep you back, because I don't think it is necessary to be afraid at all. You have had some good suggestions here. Learn a basic gluten vocabulary, but you will be surprised how much English is spoken, (although I understand in France they don't often let on :rolleyes: , especially if they take exception to your 'franglais" :lol: ) I was even able to communicate in Italy about flax seed oil and we came to the conclusion that linseed oil was the same thing :)

Go and you will have a great time. Wonderful cheeses, sausages (that they don't stuff with gluten), olives, fruits, oh my, I want to go right now.

Meats, vegetables... I mean, you can live off of that for a month, right? Plus, it seems as if everyone is saying they're more advanced in the whole gluten-free-area than the US is. GOGOGO. DEFINITELY GO. Do NOT pass up an option to see the world, you will REGRET IT FOREVERRRRR.

Seriously. That's something everyone wants to do, and if you have the option available, TAKE IT. Please, for all of us here!!

EDIT: Whoa. =o Didn't need mod approval for this post. Yay. [:

Here is a good way to look at things... You can always fly back home if you go and are too overwhelmed, stressed, etc. But you may lose this chance if you don't go for it now! Nothing is ever permanent so don't put too much pressure on yourself to stay if you are not comfortable or happy or healthy when you are in Europe. (Sometimes when I think of things in this way, it helps take the pressure off. Decisions are rarely permanent - so don't feel stuck!)

Celiactravel website has FREE gluten free dining cards in 49 langauages!!! Take them with you and let them do the talking!

I say GO! No question about it. Rarely do we get the opportunity to do such things especially as we get older. Jobs, kids, careers, life all seem to take precedence and once you hit that full time job you won't be able to take months off to experience such an amazing journey (you'll get 2-3 weeks of vacation tops). I wish I had traveled more when I was younger and had the time. It would have been budget travel (think hostels and pbj) but that's ok.

We have decided our next vacation will be in Europe since they do have a better understanding of gluten/celiac and they don't cook with so much soy (damn soy). Pour through this site for information. There's a travel section and use your google-fu.

If you show your parents you have staked out shops and restaurants where you can get gluten-free meals, plan to bring X gluten-free items with you, and ship X gluten-free items ahead of time AND you're willing to come home if you get very sick then I can't see why their concerns wouldn't be alleviated. They'll still worry of course but if you show 'you've got this' then that will go a long way in your favor.