This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Opinions About "gluten Free Living" Magazine?

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I'm thinking of subscribing to the "Gluten Free Living" magazine. However, I was not able to find any for sale in my town (Champaign, Illinois). I looked this publication up on Amazon and it sounds like people have really mixed feelings about this magazine.

Please give me your honest opinion: is this magazine worth subscribing to? Is the information helpful? If you don't like it, what are your complaints?

I look forward to hearing your imput.

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

is there anyone at all who has an opinion on this magazine? I've been checking out "Living Without" magazine, which I'm really enjoying. It's easier to find and it available at my library. For those of you who look at both subscriptions, do you have a preference or thoughts of how they compare to each other?

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I got it in Chicago when I was there last week. Same as you, I am a Living Without subscriber and wanted to "test" the magazine before I subscribed. It is definately a magazine I will get, and let me tell you why I feel this way. I found it to be on the lighter side; shorter articles, less ingrediant intense recipes, restaurant reviews, cutting-edge medical developments, and many new product reviews. I know that comparing it to a well recieved and established mag. like Living Without can cause some controversy but, I think there is room for both.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I subscribe but I'll be honest. I don't love it...its nice to have and I think its awesome to have our own magazine but the majority of the recipes in there are ridiculously hard, calling for like 15 different flours and stuff and I just don't have time or energy for that stuff. Some of the recipes seem awesome and then I read what all you have to do and just get frustrated. That being sad...I do like reading some articles and stuff and seeing the ads for the new products. I don't think you can go wrong with subscribing.

so it seems like you think that "Living Without" has easier recipes and less technical articles than "Gluten-free living"? I've never looked through a "Gluten free Living" magazine, but have looked through several "Living Without" ones.

I just need imput so I can decide whether it is worth subscribing to either publication.

butterfl8 Rookie

I subscribe to "Living Without." I very much enjoy every aspect of every issue, even those that may not apply to me, such as childrens' allergies, or autism articles. The recipes are great too, although I haven't baked anything since I was diagnosed. Cooking, yes. Flours. . . not yet.

After reading those reviews online, I decided that for my money, I would avoid "Gluten Free Living" on a subscription basis, and if I saw it in the store (have you looked at your health food store?) I would buy an issue. The one that I got so far did have really good information, and I'm glad I got it, but I'm not forking over 40 dollars a year for unreliable publication delivery.

Just my thoughts. . . I'm also a bit of a cheapskate though! :P

-Daisy

I subscribe to "Living Without." I very much enjoy every aspect of every issue, even those that may not apply to me, such as childrens' allergies, or autism articles. The recipes are great too, although I haven't baked anything since I was diagnosed. Cooking, yes. Flours. . . not yet.

After reading those reviews online, I decided that for my money, I would avoid "Gluten Free Living" on a subscription basis, and if I saw it in the store (have you looked at your health food store?) I would buy an issue. The one that I got so far did have really good information, and I'm glad I got it, but I'm not forking over 40 dollars a year for unreliable publication delivery.

Just my thoughts. . . I'm also a bit of a cheapskate though! :P

-Daisy

I looked in 3 places for Gluten Free Living: Borders, Barnes and Noble and the local health food store. None of these places had any copies of this publication. They said they might have in the past, but they were out at the moment. since it only comes out 4 times a year, I'm not sure it's worth the $40 subscription. "living without" comes 6 times a year and is quite a bit cheaper. I will look again for the gluten-free living magazine when I'm at those places, but it's frustrating that I can't seem to find it anywhere in town.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frances03 Enthusiast

The thing that turned me off was the review on Amazon saying they would not refund her money. Any company that will not issue a refund to a customer who is not satisfied sounds like a bad place to deal with to me. I'm not going to give them a dime of my money now that I know that about them! Plus their price is outrageous! I'm glad you started this topic though because I do want to start getting a magazine, so I think I will try Living Without.

The thing that turned me off was the review on Amazon saying they would not refund her money. Any company that will not issue a refund to a customer who is not satisfied sounds like a bad place to deal with to me. I'm not going to give them a dime of my money now that I know that about them! Plus their price is outrageous! I'm glad you started this topic though because I do want to start getting a magazine, so I think I will try Living Without.

Yes, I find that pretty outrageous that the publication would not refund her. Plus you are right, they are very overpriced. I think you can get 6 issues of "Living Without" for only $23 as opposed to 4 issues of "Gluten Free living" for $40! Big price difference.

If anyone else has opinions about the gluten-free Living magazine (but also Living Without), I surely welcome them.

well I finally found a copy of gluten-free living at my health food store, so I bought a copy. It's ok, but not worth $9. I think I will stick more to "Living Without" for now. It's cheaper, comes more often and has pretty good articles.

Archived