This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Excessive Sleep?

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm pretty puzzled about something and I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar issue.

For the last while I have been on spree where I can literally sleep 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter if I sleep 2 hours or 10 hours, or if I'm indoors or outdoors, within a few hours of waking up I'm ready to be back in bed. Today was a prime example. I slept 10 straight hours, then felt so tired that after I did back stretches i fell asleep on the floor for an hour with my head in the sun and neck crooked and without using a pillow.

I have not had any change in medication... I've been on Prednisone for the last couple of weeks but I know that gives me energy (this is my 4th time on it). Otherwise in case you are wondering, my daily meds include Diltiazem, Metoclopramide, Synthroid, Citalopram, Advair, and Singulair. I also take Vitamin D and Caltrate Plus.

Can any of you think of what could be causing excessive sleep? Could something with the thyroids be out of whack again, or is there some sort of deficiency that can cause it? I've noticed that I have been a lot more achy, too - the arthritis has been driving me crazy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, that seems like a whole lot of meds IMO. And can you be certain there isn't anything in any of them which might account for the sleepiness? But is it purely sleepiness, or is there any actual fatigue associated with it?

A deficiency in B vitamins can cause one to feel sleepy. A deficiency in B12 in particular can do what you describe. There are other nutrient deficiencies associated with fatigue/sleepiness, and a search should provide some insight there. Some meds can as well, especially ones which interfere with serotonin/melatonin. Meds can also cause deficiencies. I did post a list and/or link quite a while ago. Here's another article on the subject: Open Original Shared Link

I am wondering, if perhaps one or more meds you're taking should be reduced. Perhaps there's a more pronounced effect after being gluten-free as long as you have?

Something other possibilities which comes to mind include an environmental toxin, such as fumes from new carpeting, drapes, blankets, etc. Perfumes in soaps, shampoos and cosmetics, gas leaks, compact florescent bulbs, or even nearby cell phone towers. But if you feel the same no matter where you go, then I'd tend to think it's not environmental.

bluebonnet Explorer

sounds like you should get your thyriod checked to make sure you medication is sufficient. don't know how long you've been on synthroid but being that tired sounds like hypothyroid or anemia?? good luck! :)

Skylark Collaborator

Thyroid is the first, most obvious thing. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Is the same doctor prescribing all of these? You have at least 3 meds that have tiredness or sleepiness as a side effect. You should bring this to the attention of your doctor(s) ASAP

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Is the same doctor prescribing all of these? You have at least 3 meds that have tiredness or sleepiness as a side effect. You should bring this to the attention of your doctor(s) ASAP

I agree. The number of meds you are on is troubling too because of the possibility of serious interactions. Go to Open Original Shared Link and plug in all of you meds plus vitamins and it will explain the possible interactions. Coma is one of the possible interaction effects. You need to tell your doctor about this sleepiness ASAP so they can adjust your meds. Call the nurse on call or get someone to drive you the ER if you are that sleepy.

Skylark Collaborator

I didn't remember that metoclopramide is generic for Reglan. yes, that could definitely be playing into the slepiness.

Did your doctor talk to you much about the Reglan (metoclopramide)? According to the FDA it's not a drug you want to take for more than 90 days unless you have absolutely no other options. It carries the risk of a very unpleasant permanent side effect called tardive dyskinesia.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

num1habsfan Rising Star

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I appreciate your opinions! Sounds like you are all agreeing on it being either a deficiency or a change in my hypothyroidism. I had my thyroid levels checked I think it was 5 or 6 months ago now and it was fine. But no further bloodwork since then.

I guess I will be sleeping a lot for the next couple weeks yet. Can't get into my family doc office until July 28th! And it's not even my usual one - she's booking into August. So i just took what I could get the soonest...

I talked to my pharmacist today. I've been on the same dosage of meds for months and months now, and he says that none of them should be causing such extreme fatigue, not even the metoclopramide. I've been taking 4 per day for a long time...He's pretty sure that something else is going on physically that is wrong...not what a person likes to hear!

I REALLY wish I didn't have to wait over 2 weeks to get seen about this! UGH

num1habsfan Rising Star

I was presented with a new theory on the cause of my fatigue... diabetes. What do you think? I already have hypertension, and I pee a lot (sometimes more than once an hour) and have been really achy with arthritis acting up more often than usual and i get a lot of headaches....

Skylark Collaborator

It does fit if you're thirsty and peeing a lot. Doesn't sound like any fun, but at least diabetes is easy to diagnose once you're at the doctor. You could go to the American Diabetes Association website and see whether you can learn a little more about it. They have a ton of info there.

Open Original Shared Link

missceliac2010 Apprentice

Num1~

I too have been battling with a lot of sleepiness since my Celiac diagnosis. For example, I never used to be able to sleep in cars, but yesterday, I slept the whole 3 hour ride home from vacation! I am a teacher, so I have the summer off. Thank goodness! I need to adjust and figure this stuff out, because once school starts again my funky sleep cycles are not going to be ok! Right now if I sleep odd hours, a lot, etc...it really doesn't effect much. Luckily, I have older kids (1 pre-teen and 1 teenager), so my Mommy-duties can be forgiven if I'm tired and I just tell my boys to feed themselves, leave notes/text when they got out to play, etc. I am loving these suggestions, and I am certainly going to ask my doc for thyroid blood-work next time I see him.

Good luck with your dilemma, and I hope you find a cause and solution soon!

• 2 weeks later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

?

Yesterday I had a breathing test and my respirologist asked how I'm feeling. I told him I was on prednisone again and that I have hypertension now. Also mentioned the fatigue.

He asked if I snore, I said no. He asked if I get up during the night, I said yes to pee almost every hour, sometimes more. He asked if anyone ever told me I stop breathing, I said no. He asked if I get short of breath, I said no. And then he asked if I am more tired when I wake during the night or the morning, I said morning.

So he's booking me for an oxygen-based sleep apnia test. Also sending me for bloodwork on CBC, renal function, liver function, and TSH for thyroid.

Still going to see family doc today so I will tell you his opinion, as well.

num1habsfan Rising Star

well here's a list of everything bloodwork I'm about to get done, to investigate the cause of my fatigue:

Hematology: CBC (Hg, Hct, RBC, WCB, diff Indices, plt)

Chemistry: Glucose Fst (8 hour Fst)

Renal Panel: Urea, Creatinine, Electrolytes

Left Panel: ALT, Alk. Phos., Total Bilirubin, Albumin, GGT

Serology: CRP, Mono (spot test and serum pls)

Chemistry: TSH, T4, Iron Studies (Iron, Transferrin, Ferritin, TIBC), Ferritin, B12

Other: West Nile, ESR

Ahbee Newbie

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm pretty puzzled about something and I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar issue.

For the last while I have been on spree where I can literally sleep 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter if I sleep 2 hours or 10 hours, or if I'm indoors or outdoors, within a few hours of waking up I'm ready to be back in bed. Today was a prime example. I slept 10 straight hours, then felt so tired that after I did back stretches i fell asleep on the floor for an hour with my head in the sun and neck crooked and without using a pillow.

I have not had any change in medication... I've been on Prednisone for the last couple of weeks but I know that gives me energy (this is my 4th time on it). Otherwise in case you are wondering, my daily meds include Diltiazem, Metoclopramide, Synthroid, Citalopram, Advair, and Singulair. I also take Vitamin D and Caltrate Plus.

Can any of you think of what could be causing excessive sleep? Could something with the thyroids be out of whack again, or is there some sort of deficiency that can cause it? I've noticed that I have been a lot more achy, too - the arthritis has been driving me crazy.

Hello,

I just joined the forum and saw your posting. I don't know if I am writing in the correct place to reply to you, but here it goes. I have to agree with the posting that discussed vitamin B-12 deficiency. I have Pernicious Anemia which is a serious B-12 deficiency. It really affects your brain,nerves, and energy. My B-12 blood count was 286. It was very low. A friend of mine had her count at 298. We both had very similar symptoms. We both started with shots. She only had B-12 shots for a brief time. She still has troubles. I am receiving shots every other week. I will continue having shots for a lifetime. Just recently I went on a vacation. I was gone during my time to get a shot. After 3 weeks of no shot, I was so exhausted I had trouble staying awake. The pain in my joints and legs were excruiting. I began to live on Vicodin. My doctor called in a prescription to have a shot in a Doc in the Box. Within a day I began to feel better. It has been a week now, but I still have no stamina and feel very week by the end of the day. Have your Vitamin B-12 checked. My doctor feel that the levels rated for defiency are too low. My daughter's levels were in the 300's and she was immediately started on shots weekly for 3 months. Ahbee

• 3 weeks later...
mscan91 Newbie

Getting the thyroid checked is my gut reaction. But I know how you feel. When I first found out my gluten intolerance I slept for 18+ hrs a day :/

• 2 weeks later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

I had all of that bloodwork done and no phone call from the doctor's office so I am assuming that everything came back negative - which would be pathetic.

The only update I really have besides the fact that the sleepiness has not gone away is that on Sept 14 I am having a take-home sleep apnea test done. I guess they chose to give me the machine that just hooks up to you because the doctor that referred me knows I'll be in university. Wish me luck.

missy'smom Collaborator

Here's my 2 cents on ruling out diabetes/high blood sugar. You should call the doc and ask for the number. Many docs let numbers get too high before they intervene. Plus, any one-time number is not a good measure of what's going on. I hate to keep using myself as an example, but my fasting was normal but the rest of my numbers and test results were quite a shock to my doc. I'm very glad I advocted for more comprehensive testing. Also you mentioned being on prednisone? It is known for causing high blood sugar. I have two relatives dealing with that. One of them just recenly found out because they asked me to test them with my meter. We tested pre-meal, one hour after a normal composition meal for them, and again at 2 hrs. after the meal. That gave us a good picture of what's going on. Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...
passing Newbie

I stumbled on your posts when I was searching for some info on google, and I saw so many similarities with the condition my partner used to have. I have spent 2 years researching this issue and I hope I might share some mistakes/lessons I

Archived