This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

If My Ana Serum Was Negative, Does That Mean No Chance Of Celiac?

VitaminDGirl

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

I have a high Iga level,

and a negative ANA level.

From my limited understanding, isn't Celiac an autoimmune disease?

And therefore a ANA blood test would show up positive?

or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, celiac is autoimmune, however ANA is not part of celiac. It is good not to have ANA, as they're associated with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

The tests for celiac are anti-gliadin IgA (AGA/IgA), anti-tissue transglutaminase IgA (TTG/IgA), and anti-endomysial IgA (EMA/IgA). Intestinal biopsies are also done to look directly for villous atrophy and crypting.

There's an article on Celiac.com if you want more info.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/57/1/Interpretation-of-Celiac-Disease-Blood-Test-Results/Page1.html

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

Yes, celiac is autoimmune, however ANA is not part of celiac. It is good not to have ANA, as they're associated with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

The tests for celiac are anti-gliadin IgA (AGA/IgA), anti-tissue transglutaminase IgA (TTG/IgA), and anti-endomysial IgA (EMA/IgA). Intestinal biopsies are also done to look directly for villous atrophy and crypting.

There's an article on Celiac.com if you want more info.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/57/1/Interpretation-of-Celiac-Disease-Blood-Test-Results/Page1.html

Thank you, thank you Skylark. I see that you are a huge blessing to all the newbies here and thank you for your time to answer questions you have probably answered a thousand times. I've been researching, but not for as long as people like you. So I very much appreciate your feedback.

Yes, thankfully my RA serum level was good.

I do have some interesting health issues that are not obvious.

Maybe gluten free would help.

It can be hard to make that commitment though.

How long do you think I'd need to give gluten free a chance to see if it affects how I feel?

Marz Enthusiast

How long do you think I'd need to give gluten free a chance to see if it affects how I feel?

There's wide variation on how long it takes to feel better, just because the affect of gluten on each person is so radically different.

For me personally, I noticed a huge difference within a few days - my symptoms were mostly GIT, and I don't think I've had the disease very long so my intestines might have recovered from the damage very quickly.

For others that have been sick for many years, or have auto-immune/neurological problems, it may take longer for the body to heal and rid itself of auto-immune antibodies etc.

Don't think of it as a commitment - just something to try for a week or two and see how you feel. You do need to ensure you are completely gluten free though. I attempted this a year ago, and was still eating Rye bread/having sauces with wheat starch thickeners, and I didn't notice a difference at all. Even a small amount of gluten will keep the inflammation and symptoms going.

Some good advise that I read - don't worry about the gluten-free, expensive and tasteless pastas. Get whole foods like meat, eggs, veges, rice and potatoes. Take leftovers for lunch if you work away from home, (hopefully you have a microwave to heat up the food somewhere). Breakfast can be eggs and bacon, or cooked rice with milk and sugar/honey (It takes some getting used to, but I quite enjoy it now), or maize/corn porridge if you can find it. Be careful of the "rice crispies" and corn-based commercial cereals, as most contain Malt (Barley) that contains gluten.

Once you have the hang of that and you're feeling better, you can add more processed foods. If you do feel better, it doesn't seem so bad making the effort to eat the right foods, if you're feeling well. :)

Good luck, and hope you give the diet a try :)

sb2178 Enthusiast

I think the general suggestion on the board is a solid 2-3 months (very carefully done) when your symptoms include non-GI problems. I felt much better after 10 days, but again, was not GI symptomatic for very long.

My fatigue and joint pain really has taken 4-8 weeks to resolve. I've only been able to run again in the past month, and only short distances.

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

Thank you all for this wonderful encouragement. You make me feel as if I really have a good chance of getting really great relief once I'm off gluten. Encouragement I def. need. I already have been using a few things that are gluten free...like Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix and Tinkyada pastas...things like that. So those foods should be easy anyways.

Since I might have the ear of a few people, and one of you sounds like you had to stop running, I'll try and share a short version of 'my story.' You can let me know your thoughts on possible relief options.

Main complaints:

My feet (probably neurological pain--had a positive nerve conductivity study).

Ear ringing.

Secondary:

constipation

possibly hypothyroid

Recovering Vit. D deficiency

ADD

10 months ago I was an active mother to 4 small children. Working out nearly every day. Running, aerobics, etc. Suddenly noticed both of my heels hurt. Like really bad. Got worse and worse to the point I didn't even want to walk. My chiropractor treated it as plantar fasciitis, but it kept getting worse.

She sent me to a podiatrist. Based on his evaluation, and me reading up online, I felt sure I had Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (something like Carpal Tunnel in the wrists/hands). So I accepted one surgery to 'release' the Tarsal Tunnel area.

No relief.

I have been to several podiatrists--all of which I seem to baffle with my symptoms because I'm now considered 'outside of the normal foot problem box". I've seen at least 4 podiatrists and talked with several others.

Saw a Sports Medicine dr, a few neurologists, pain management and a few chiropractors. I've had MRIs of my brain, lumbar region and both of my feet/ankles. Only findings are inflamed fascias in feet, and mild disc bulging in lumbar region of back.

I have people do my grocery shopping for me and help me clean. I am on vicodin, prescribed by my MD, which I really want to come off!

I also have loud ear ringing which started about 7 or 8 months ago.

My pain is such that I can't stand or walk for very long before feeling I just must 'sit'.

One thing that is giving some relief is a chiropractor who does the Gonstead Method and is adjusting both my feet and my back. It really does help. But I'm still not cured.

I pray I can at least take family walks again and get off of narcotics!

I am 5 ft. 6, 130 pounds, and healthy otherwise that we know of. I've had SO much blood work it's crazy. But only recently did I have the saliva done that included gliadin, and now I am on to wanting more bloodwork.

Regardless of the bloodwork results, once I do it, I plan to come off the gluten to see how I feel.

I so appreciate your taking the time to encourage me.

It really means so much.

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

More secondary symptoms have been:

Low Ferritin levels

High folates and high B6

Possibly low B1

anxiety

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived