Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Gas On My Date...why? ;)

Ok so i went out with the girl im seeing last night. we went to an italian place that has gluten free pasta and I always eat there and have never had a problem. I tried a different sauce last night (marinara) and it had a lot of onions & garlic but i didnt have any upper GI discomfort and everything felt fine after dinner...a few garlic burps but they subsides after a while. My lady friend had pumpkin ravioli (not gluten-free)- we didnt kiss or share anything.

we then went to see a film festival and they had drinks there. i got a wine & she got a can of guiness. after the festival we walked to a nearby bar and i had another glass of wine and she had a jack and coke, which i took a sip of.

bout 30 min later my stomach started gurgling and i was gassy for the whole rest of the night. normally i get that type of reaction when I ingest dairy but i didnt have any dairy. Did I most likely get CC'd with gluten or could something else have caused this reaction? we exchanged a few pecks on the lips at the bar but this was about an hr or so after her last sip of beer and she had already had some of her jack and coke which probably washed things down.

Am i reading into this too much? i really dont want to worry and obsess about this on every date

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I assume you've had the marinara before? I know alot of bottled spaghetti sauces gave wheat and or dairy in it. I also stay away from American whiskey. I've read too much that some US whiskey makers will throw in grains in the last of their process fir added flavors. I don't do blends for that reason. I stick with single whiskys. I cod be misinformed on that one but it has served me well regardless.

Despite the fact it is distilled the Jack would have gotten me. You could also have gotten CC'd somewhere along the line. If your not having other gluten symptoms you could also have just gotten gassy from the onions and garlic. You may never know and if you don't have any of your other glutened symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds like it was a nice night and glad you and this lady are still seeing each other. It sounds like things are going well, your gluten anxiety aside.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Never had the marinara before, but they are very strict about gluten and this sauce is made in house.

I thought all distilled alcohols are gluten free?

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Positive for DQ8- 2008

I have problems with Coke, so I'm thinking that's what gave you gas. I pretty much give up anything that has caramel and HFCS now, it makes me so gassy.

Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).

Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

Ok so i went out with the girl im seeing last night. we went to an italian place that has gluten free pasta and I always eat there and have never had a problem. I tried a different sauce last night (marinara) and it had a lot of onions & garlic but i didnt have any upper GI discomfort and everything felt fine after dinner...a few garlic burps but they subsides after a while. My lady friend had pumpkin ravioli (not gluten-free)- we didnt kiss or share anything.

we then went to see a film festival and they had drinks there. i got a wine & she got a can of guiness. after the festival we walked to a nearby bar and i had another glass of wine and she had a jack and coke, which i took a sip of.

bout 30 min later my stomach started gurgling and i was gassy for the whole rest of the night. normally i get that type of reaction when I ingest dairy but i didnt have any dairy. Did I most likely get CC'd with gluten or could something else have caused this reaction? we exchanged a few pecks on the lips at the bar but this was about an hr or so after her last sip of beer and she had already had some of her jack and coke which probably washed things down.

Am i reading into this too much? i really dont want to worry and obsess about this on every date

Almost everybody gets gassy after eating onions and garlic. That's why Beano is so popular. However, I think Beano contains sorbitol, which can also cause gas, bloating, intestinal cramping and diarrhea in people with leaky gut problems. So I use a brand named 'ExcuseMe' which has the enzyme necessary to digest beans and other gas causing vegies.

SUE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

it was such a tiny sip though ;)

Positive for DQ8- 2008

I thought all distilled alcohols are gluten free?

Many of us can drink them safely and do so but there are some of us who do get a gluten reaction from them. Don't know which group you fall in.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

...it is such a rare occurrence now that I am gluten free..I always freak out if I feel gassy and start thinking about what I ate and start checking label/rechecking allergen listings on websites. Every time I 'toot'...my husband accuses me of sneaking gluten....if only the worst of the reaction was gas... When I ingest gluten it's pain, it's panic,it's insane, there is raging, there are tears, there are migraines, I am doubled over with stabbing gut pains, the muscles across my rib cage hurt an then the pain starts shooting through my arms(that really freaks me out),my OCD kicks in, I itch, I want to run away, my ankles triple in size and I gain 15 pounds in an hour.....I have gotten really good at avoiding gluten...he has forgotten that things get far worse than a few gassy moments.

Glad you two are hitting it off!

Gas just happens sometimes. I had it yesterday and today really bad bloating. I think my little girl CC'd me. It's minor and it will most likely be gone tomorrow. It's just what we have to deal with.

Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.

Ready to get well and get on with my life!

It is hard when we have to be paranoid about everything. I tell you that I am very sensitive and I am still not all the way recovered more than a week later from kissing my daughter on the lips about an hour after she had a gluten filled meal and had forgotten to brush. I have been steadily improving. It could be the kiss, but I don't doubt that it could be something else instead, or just gas. I hope your girlfriend was understanding.

I'm wondering-- could it be high fructose corn syrup? i only took a small sip of her drink but still....

Positive for DQ8- 2008

I'm wondering-- could it be high fructose corn syrup? i only took a small sip of her drink but still....

Could be, do you eat other foods or drink other beverages with HFCS? Since it is in so much it should be an easy one to test. Most jellies and jams and even pnut butters have HFCS as well as many beverages. You could try some of those out and see if you get the same reaction.

Gene Test Aug 2007

carbonated beverages make me pretty darn burpy. some people don't burp nearly as well as they pass gas out the other end. do you feel this way when you get carbonated beverages?

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

*gas happens* LOL. Not a funny thing Jason I know but everyone gets gas sometimes. even your lady friend :) I wouldn't Xoff that meal just yet. It was prob the strong garlic or maybe even the tomatoes.

If she didn't notice, I wouldn't even get it another thought.

Started exhibiting symptoms 1979

DXed IBS 1987

Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010

Gluten free since July 12 2010

Carb&Sugar light August 2010

experimenting with being Grain light