This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yikes What Made Me Sick?!?

Megs613

Megs613 Newbie

I am new(er) diagnosed. I am still learning and paying for the learning too, but such is life.

Tonight my husband made me chicken and he cooked it in a safe pan, but he used worcestershire sauce. I also had brown rice. I feel sick after eating it and am having some major stomach cramps.

I am allergic to soy also, but my hubby thought worcestershire sauce was okay for both soy and gluten.

I am 6 weeks pregnant, but I usually don't get stomach cramps with the nausea. What do you think?/

I tried to google, it was Best Choice brand and thier Calssic Worcestershire Sauce.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elk Rookie

I'm new too, so others will be more helpful. But, I can not eat rice or any other grains right now. I stay away from processed foods (including sauces like Worcestershire sauce) as the preservatives, msg, and other chemicals give me migraines and make me sick. Also, I was just reading that gluten can be hidden in things like preservatives, modified food starch, and stabilizers. I stick with whole foods and make my own sauces with herbs, spices, lemon/lime, etc.

My favorite dinner right now is a giant salad: greens, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, apple, egg, and cilantro - with lime and evo, salt and pepper as the dressing... THEN I top it off with grass fed beef and onion that's been sauteed in butter, evo, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Might seem odd to have all that in there, but it works. :P

elk Rookie

Oh, and I'm careful of the chicken I buy. Read the label -- it'll be hidden well, but a lot of the mainstream brands use a "broth" to enhance the flavor of chickens that are raised on soy, corn and other junk, not to mention growth hormones. Chickens should not be that big. We are what our food eats...

heatherjane Contributor

What does the ingredient label say on the Worcestershire sauce?

sandiz Apprentice

Worchestire sauce has wheat in it to help the fermenting. In Canada there is VH sauces that don't contain wheat products. Knorr stocks (dry and not cubes) don't have wheat products. Suggestion, read labels and look up ingredients online. Good luck.

mbrookes Community Regular

I just called the company about Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce and they said it is gluten free. They also offered to email me a list of all their gluten free products.

I do love cooperative companies!

i-geek Rookie

In the USA, Lea and Perrins worcestershire sauce is gluten-free. I don't know about other brands so I stick with what I know is safe. It's possible that you have a brand that isn't safe. Elk also made a good point about the chicken- I know I've seen broth-injected chicken for sale. It's appalling how many things we have to watch for, but such is modern-day life. Hope you're feeling a bit better by now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I have also called about Lea and Perrins and they told me it was gluten AND soy free!

Takala Enthusiast

You have to supervise them at first before you turn them loose in the kitchen like that. :unsure:

If you haven't, now is a good time to purge the cabinets of iffy ingredients. If there is something obscure which hasn't been used in years with gluten in the cupboard, they always manage to find it and use it. It never fails.

Sample dialogue:

Q. Did you read the label ?

A. No, it was on the shelf. It was open. was I supposed to ?

We are going through this now at my house. He makes scrambled eggs, and I feel "off." I make scrambled eggs, and I don't feel "off."

He swears he's putting the exact same stuff in them that I am. This can't be, because otherwise I wouldn't be noticing. I eat a hard boiled egg, nothing. I eat eggs with olive oil and salt, nothing. SAME PAN. That's even more exasperating. He cooks, and we're gluten free here for years, so it's not a newbie problem. Now I have to watch again the next time he does this and catch it. Good G*d. :blink:

They also don't get the "clean spoon" concept and will take a spoon, dip it into a jar, and rub the spoon on the dry ingredient and re dip it, contaminating the jar with whatever the item was that was being dressed with sauce. Is it my salsa jar ? Is it that different brand of sour cream ? Where is this coming from ?

Make SURE he does not have any lotion residue on his hands, or pet food residue if your pet is not gluten free, and washes his hands before touching anything. Make sure all his toiletries are gluten free, you may have to just start buying them for him.

curiousgirl Contributor

Elk, why no grains? Rice?

elk Rookie

I have no idea what's going on, but it seems like I'm reacting to all grains including rice. :( It could be completely unrelated since my symptoms aren't generally GI, but it's hard to pin down when just about every day sucks.

Archived