This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

Chicken soup tonight. Something got me Saturday night and I was waiting hoping that I had random D that night but I knew. Deep down I knew. Yesterday it hit me suddenly like a ton of bricks. Taking it easy on my tummy with loads of ginger ale and bitters and chicken soup. Tomorrow if I feel like something a little fancier and feel like cooking again I'll make my favorite ever soup, creamy carrot soup. If not I'll have that on Thursday. Mostly I'll be sleeping and laying for the next week. If I get super ambitious and hungry at the same time, iodine be damned, I'm having mac & cheese which is my ultimate comfort food. I can feel the rash prickling, it hasn't blistered yet but I'll start my steroids in the morning at least so hopefully it won't be so bad this time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

:(   Oh no Addy! What happened?

Adalaide Mentor

I don't know!!!! I had ham and scrambled eggs for supper Sat night, and all was fine. Then later we had some cake and blueberry sauce. The blueberries were in the freezer from last summer or fall or something. I don't know if I handled them poorly then, or did something when I made the sauce, or did something when I was getting the cake. But then I got my signature D and was like, bah... it's just from the eggs. I knew I was lying to myself, but it felt so good to lie for the rest of the night and all day Sunday. All I know is I did something, somehow, to handle my food poorly. Now I'm sleeping propped up on my Patrick Fitzgerald (a 4 foot pillow pet giraffe) so I don't get overwhelmed with the urge to vomit from laying down. I get the feeling that Patrick and I will be quite good friends by the end of the week. I just hope I don't vomit on him. :ph34r:

At least this time I'm handling it better, emotionally speaking. Sort of a stuff happens attitude. Really, what is the point in freaking out? Or blaming someone, even if I'm just blaming me? I'll just stress myself out and make it take longer to feel better. I know this is a month and a half long road to feeling like a person again, I won't let it get me down. Well... besides into bed. :D

ETA: I recently pointed out to someone that it had been something like 5 or 6 months since I had done anything stupid and contaminated myself even though I live in a shared household. I'm pretty sure this is karma related to being cocky.

GottaSki Mentor

Sorry Addie - me too today :(

Have no idea what happened other than cleaning my folks house - I always wash well after spending time there and never eat over there, but here I sit with obvious gluten symptoms.

Nettle tea, lots of water and a bowl of spag squah is it for tonight - crappy end to a day that started of great!

Hope everyone is much improved tomorrow.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Charcoal worked good on me last time! Good luck buds!  :(

love2travel Mentor

Oh, Addy and Gottaski!  I feel for you poor girls.  :(   How very discouraging.  But Addy, you are right.  What is done is done.  There is no point in placing blame on yourself.  Do you not find that celiac can be character building in ways?  I have learned a lot and cope/face challenges better than I did a few years ago.  I feel wiser.  Part of it may be because I am now technically middle aged.  Did I just say that out loud?  :huh:

Be gentle on yourselves and do what you have to do to feel well.  Tomorrow is a new day full of promise and hope.  :)

GottaSki Mentor

For me getting glutened is now more a humbling experience than past glutenings - I used to get more upset at myself and angry at gluten - yesterday when it happened I went home threw on jammies and accepted it was going to be a rotten night.

My family has jokingly called gluten kryptonite for years - now that I am relatively healthful - I must say it is exactly like it. I went running without pain yesterday and was full of energy until that pesky prrotein knocked me out. Even hubby said don't worry - we know what this is and it will pass - just a minor setback. Boy have we all changed over the past four years!

Good news is my symptoms are much better this morning - still bloate but the fog has lifted and joints while still sore are functioning enough for me to get up - going to drink another cup of tea while soaking in an epsom salt bath and buy charcoal when the store opens - prob won't help for this round but going to keep in my bag o tricks - thanks Bunny!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Addy, Sorry honey. (and you just told me to never ever say things like this cuz karma bites us on the butt.) Hope you feel better soon.xx

Ski, I'm speechless. Must have been something at M and D's--cuz no one is more careful than you are. Feel better soon. xx

Hugs all around, but from a distance so as to be sure you do not get my flu cooties.(yeah, it's the flu. I tried to call what we have "a bad cold", but who are we kidding?)  The hubs and I figure someone at the gym must have spread the joy to us. Why do people insist on going out when they are sick? Stay home!!! All I can say is do NOT get this, people. ugh and blech.

Dinner tonight--probably choke down more chicken soup........gonna start squawking soon........

notme Experienced

goodness, we are a sickly bunch this week :(  love2 i think you're right although 'wisdom' doesn't usually scarf down a cupcake from a questionable source!  i'm still rebounding (o gosh, my guts HURT - hard to imagine before diagnosis i was *used* to feeling this miserable)  probably make the hubs eat leftovers - err - encores.  maybe i'll have some clam chowda later if my samwich is nice to me...

everybody:  feel better soon!  i'll be holding down the couch if ya need me.  :/

notme Experienced

You can eat strawberries. I saw them growing in California. They don't use straw. They use plastic. Even if they used straw it probably wouldn't be from wheat as they would have to haul it in from a long distance if it were wheat. Not very cost effective.

that is GREAT NEWS :D  valentine's day i was drooling because everybody was eating chocolate-covered ones - i haves chocolate, too.  gotta wait for this junk body to get right.  ugh.

IrishHeart Veteran

goodness, we are a sickly bunch this week :(  love2 i think you're right although 'wisdom' doesn't usually scarf down a cupcake from a questionable source!  i'm still rebounding (o gosh, my guts HURT - hard to imagine before diagnosis i was *used* to feeling this miserable)  probably make the hubs eat leftovers - err - encores.  maybe i'll have some clam chowda later if my samwich is nice to me...

everybody:  feel better soon!  i'll be holding down the couch if ya need me.  :/

sorry babes.... someone's already on the couch. How about this chair over here?

:wacko: we're all messes today.....

shadowicewolf Proficient

Bad day, so a soup for dinner i think...

GottaSki Mentor

Well that was the best day post glutening ever -- yet still sucked.  Just installed myself in my comfy chair -- feet elevated -- ice on various parts and ready to start barking orders at my men as they pass thru the room -- teasing -- mostly -- I will have them fetch me fresh ice, tea and water :)

Good thing I spoiled (bribed) them with sweet treats all last week ;)

Adalaide Mentor

I'm not doing too poorly today. I got out of the house to buy my own steroids, although I am way too foggy to be able to drive. I feel pretty much like I would if I had taken a narcotic painkiller, mentally. I get loopy and fun. And, I've been awake like all day! :D (This required vast amounts of dew, but it was call the kids day do I had to be up.) I am mostly attributing my status of feeling generally poorly over like living hell to the fact that I have taken up a clay habit. The Redmond farm is pretty close to where I live and after much research I decided to try it.

Just got off the phone and am starving. I have a cook it in its own bag pork loin and beyond all my good advice to myself, I want mac and cheese. There is nothing right now that sounds half as appealing as a huge bowl of the stuff, with a good heap of tomatoes in it.

CommonTater Contributor

It's been cold the last couple of days. :unsure: My husband picked up leeks and potatoes yesterday to make soup for us today. :D

love2travel Mentor

I found some excellent lactose-free mozzarella so am making a low-fat version of poutine.  Just poutine and only poutine.  Oh, heck.  May as well steam some broccoli.  Made superb chocolate chip cookies for my massage therapist this morning and am not having any myself (except that one I sacrified for quality control). 

Tomorrow's dinner is far more inspired.  Can't wait!  :P

IrishHeart Veteran

I found some excellent lactose-free mozzarella so am making a low-fat version of poutine.  Just poutine and only poutine.  Oh, heck.  May as well steam some broccoli.  Made superb chocolate chip cookies for my massage therapist this morning and am not having any myself (except that one I sacrified for quality control). 

Tomorrow's dinner is far more inspired.  Can't wait!  :P

Fries, gravy and cheese = poutine, right? Sounds like comfort food to me! :)

If you had not had at least 1 cookie to "make sure they weren't poison" (my excuse) I'd have been disappointed.

I made bison meatloaf, whipped potatoes and corn---the hubs has recovered enough to have an appeitite.

me? meh, not so much. But I got a few mouthfuls down.

Cookies would be nice. This low histamine diet + the flu = getting really old.

Adalaide Mentor

There is some pork left so I can make my husband fend for himself. As for me, I slapped just a little pork and mac & cheese in a bowl and warmed it up to have along with the world's best soup. What is the world's best soup? Creamy carrot soup. There was a moment of panic when I couldn't find my soup cookbook, but that was quickly remedied and I imagine that by this time tomorrow I'll be out of soup and sending my husband to the store for more whipping cream.

I actually got him to try my mac & cheese this time, probably because I had the brilliant idea to bake it in my cast iron frying pan for max surface area and covered it in a plethora of breadcrumbs. He told me it tastes like macaroni and toast. I call that a win!

5bedac75-73fc-4480-8905-66c821e68634_zps

shadowicewolf Proficient

Leftover beef cabage and noodle soup for me.

GottaSki Mentor

Doing much better today.

Mom doing a bit better which makes it a wonderful day.

Hubby and I headed out camping to Santa Barbara tomorrow morning -- hotel reservation for Saturday night - just in case.

Tonight is Roast Beef, Butternut Squash and Asparagus and packing for my first camping trip in five years :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Have a GREAT time, Ski!!  :)

Adalaide Mentor

That sounds fun. Glad you're feeling better enough for fun stuff. I'm hoping to feel like a person soon myself.

IrishHeart Veteran

That sounds fun. Glad you're feeling better enough for fun stuff. I'm hoping to feel like a person soon myself.

Me too.  <_< I've had enough of this crap.

Adalaide Mentor

Me too.  <_< I've had enough of this crap.

Meh, I think we just have a jinxed February. It'll be behind us soon and we can all start over with a fresh and new March with spring right around the corner and we can all just start over with the fresh spring. :D I'm also looking super forward to plants and a garden and fresh vegetables again!

IrishHeart Veteran

Meh, I think we just have a jinxed February. It'll be behind us soon and we can all start over with a fresh and new March with spring right around the corner and we can all just start over with the fresh spring. :D I'm also looking super forward to plants and a garden and fresh vegetables again!

I'm all for that. Fresh. New. and Springy!! :lol: