Enkagi

Could This Be A Gluten Reaction?

Rate this topic

I stopped eating grains, sugar, and starch (essentially low carb with the exception of vegetables other than carrots and potatoes) about a month and a half ago. I might have had trace amounts, but it was generally completely out of my diet in every way.

Last night I was at a baby shower and I at a small slice of cake and a nanaimo bar (a square made with icing, coconut, graham, and chocolate, common to Canada). Within a few hours my stomach was roiling and I felt cold and sick. That night I slept very poorly, and I woke up this morning still feeling extremely icky inside with nausea. The eggs I forced myself to eat for breakfast didn't sit well with me. Additionally, I developed a migraine headache and joint pain, particularly in my wrist and elbows. I had a similar (but less violent) reaction a week ago when I ate soup that had been made with a small amount of flour as a thickener.

I've never considered that I might have a wheat or gluten intolerance, but my roommate does, and though he still eats gluten-containing foods (I have no idea why), he's described it when he gets 'too much' and it sounds a lot like what's going on now. My question for this board is are these reactions consistent with a gluten and/or grain intolerance?

All I can say is that if this is what I'm going to have to go through for a piece of cake, I'm better off without it all around!

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds defenitley like a gluten reaction to me. That's what happens to me if I just get a crumb.

Welcome to the board Enkagi!

I'm chuckling because you are talking about what happened to my boss. He and his entire family went gluten, carb, soy, and casein free as part of dealing with their young son. He wasn't expecting anything personally, they just did it as a family because it made it easier to deal with their son's issues and food. He noticed though that his migraines and general joint soreness disappeared as an unexpected side effect. After some time (I don't recall how long, but it was I think a couple months) he had something with wheat in it. He couldn't get out of bed. His wife reacts even worse. You may have inadvertently put yourself off gluten for life. Which is a good thing in my opinion. I can't eat hardly any grains or starches at all any more without getting sick, but the more refined they are the worse it is. It doesn't matter what kind. I eat a 'paleo' diet for the most part.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the board Enkagi!

You may have inadvertently put yourself off gluten for life. Which is a good thing in my opinion. I can't eat hardly any grains or starches at all any more without getting sick, but the more refined they are the worse it is. It doesn't matter what kind. I eat a 'paleo' diet for the most part.

It's definitely a powerful reinforcer. I'm doing Atkins to control pre-diabetes (all but eliminated in a few days and after a month and a half I love this too much to stop), so grains and starches are out in general. This will help keep it that way. I'm STILL feeling cruddy and I couldn't put in a full day's work today because of it.

Thanks for the welcome!

It's definitely a powerful reinforcer. I'm doing Atkins to control pre-diabetes (all but eliminated in a few days and after a month and a half I love this too much to stop), so grains and starches are out in general. This will help keep it that way. I'm STILL feeling cruddy and I couldn't put in a full day's work today because of it.

Thanks for the welcome!

It may take a few days to fully recover and yes it does sound like a gluten reaction. Welcome to the board and ask any questions you need to.