Rate this topic

My husband went gluten free about 6 weeks ago. And I have been doing my best to do as much research as possible to keep gluten out of his diet. I even got a seperate pantry so that he knows that its ok to eat. I do 95% of the shopping. I read the labels with the best of my knowledge from reading and so on. Also visiting alot of sites and emailing. From several articles I have read that Wheat is no by law suppose to be listed on labels...is this correct? Which makes hiding gluten more difficult correct? (at least from wheat) I guess here is the big question. I bought steam packed veggies and rice...it does not list wheat or list wheat allergy warning...but BROTH is listed. Am i to assume then it is NOT gluten free?

No, you can't assume that. If there's wheat in the broth, it would have to be listed.

Wheat has to be listed by law in the US. BUT barley, rye, oats and malt (from barley) does not have to be listed.

There are several large companies that will declare any gluten ingredient in the ingredient list. I remember Kraft & ConAgra. They make a lot of of the food at the grocery. It will say in small letters ConAgra but be a different brand. There was a list here a few weeks ago, if I find it I'll post it.

Unilever and General Mills also clearly disclose gluten in the ingredients list.

Click here for a comprehensive list of brands which will always disclose any gluten.

Thank you , Peter! I will memorize this and sleep with it under my pillow.

Also, many big grocery chains, like HyVee here in the midwest, have lists on-line of the store brand products that are gluten-free.

In households where "regular" foods are appreciated because not everyone has celiac, here is a list that many of us use (it lists all the processed foods that are gluten free at regular supermarkets):

http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf

You'll see that this is a lengthy list--I printed mine out so that I can refer to it when I'm at the store. The list also includes the contact information for each company, because it's a good idea to double-check to make sure that certain products are still gluten free.

• Upvote 1

Kraft and General Mills will disclose gluten on their lables. By law companies have to disclose wheat but not gluten. IF you are in doubt always contact the company. Never assume . I have assumed a couple of times and paid for it.

Since you are new to the whole gluten-free thing. I just discovered Stephanie O'Dea. She made 365 gluten-free dishes in her crock pot! We have tried a few recipes and enjoyed them. She gives a verdict at the end as part of her review.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

Happy Easter,

Paula

ive been fallowing her blog and I love it!

yeah I have learned about the assuming issue already. I bought some ganola bars that said 100% organic Oats and there was NO LISTING FOR WHEAT OR CROSS warning. I called the company once I found there info on line because no number on the box to call from store and he informed me that if my husband had mild celiac hed be ok; if sensitive he would be adviced not to eat them. I rolled my eyes in frustration and hand them to my non celiac kids.

Thanks for all the helpful insight. I have been doing so much research that my head feels like its spinning sometimes. When we went to the nutrients she made it sound like we were DOOMED to function as a family due to this. She made it sound impossible to go shopping in a typical store and so on. But after some good reasearch on my own I have found it to be ok. Its frustrating to find a place to go out to eat in our little area.