This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Experiences W/ Preeclampsia? (Pre And Post Dx?)

momof2peanutz

momof2peanutz Newbie

Just last night I stayed up til 4 reading Elizabeth Hasselback's book, The gluten-free Diet.

I am completely convinced I either have celiac's or am very wheat sensitive, at the very least.

I have been pregnant twice, both times very preeclamptic. I put the dots together last night, reading about how celiac's is autoimmune and remembered recently reading that there have been autoimmune antibodies that have shown up in preeclamptic women.

Also, my older son exhibits symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder and is receiving speech therapy and OT.

My question is, has anyone ever had preeclampsia, then found out about their diagnosis and then gone wheat free and has subsequently gotten pregnant with no to little symptoms of preeclampsia? Both my pregnancies were absolutely horrible. I gained over 100 lbs with both, about 70 of which was water weight. After my first son was born, I lost 56 lbs in 5 wks after he was born.

My DH and I so much want a third child. I've read on the boards here to wait at least a year of being gluten free to try for getting preggo. I am more than willing to do that, I just don't want to risk my life/health again or that of a potential unborn child.

Any input or experiences anyone can share?

Greatly appreciated,

Morgan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momof2peanutz Newbie

I also just found this link which is amazing with it's information on studies with pregnant women with celiac. It does state that after a 6 mos to a year of being gluten free, the women in their studies reported no issues w/ their pregnancies.

Still, I'm very curious and anxious to know of individual experiences, if anyone would be willing to share them.

Thanks.

kareng Grand Master

Hey! Welcome!

Look around on this pregnancy thread at some of the recent posts. We seem to always have a few gluten-free buns in the oven.

Juliebove Rising Star

Hmmm... I went into Pre-E two days before my due date. I was induced the following day. AFAIK though I do not have any gluten issues. Daughter does, but I don't.

yalebabyrn26 Newbie

Just last night I stayed up til 4 reading Elizabeth Hasselback's book, The gluten-free Diet.

I am completely convinced I either have celiac's or am very wheat sensitive, at the very least.

I have been pregnant twice, both times very preeclamptic. I put the dots together last night, reading about how celiac's is autoimmune and remembered recently reading that there have been autoimmune antibodies that have shown up in preeclamptic women.

Also, my older son exhibits symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder and is receiving speech therapy and OT.

My question is, has anyone ever had preeclampsia, then found out about their diagnosis and then gone wheat free and has subsequently gotten pregnant with no to little symptoms of preeclampsia? Both my pregnancies were absolutely horrible. I gained over 100 lbs with both, about 70 of which was water weight. After my first son was born, I lost 56 lbs in 5 wks after he was born.

My DH and I so much want a third child. I've read on the boards here to wait at least a year of being gluten free to try for getting preggo. I am more than willing to do that, I just don't want to risk my life/health again or that of a potential unborn child.

Greatly appreciated,

Morgan

I am a labor and delivery nurse and have never heard of the PEC link. I was diagnosed with celiac last may but personally don't have kids yet. I had only heard it can cause infertility but now I'm curious

K8ling Enthusiast

I got pregnant at 21, very healthy, no indication of any celiacs. At 30 weeks I was put on bed rest, 32 weeks, hospital bed rest and emergency induction at 36 weeks. My BP was 190/110 when I delivered. It was horrible and scary.

So far this pregnancy is going better. My husband is deployed so I have had some blood pressure issues from stress and theyre watching me for Pre-E this time.

I hope I escape it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

There is one theory that eating plenty (lots!) of protein can help reduce the risk of pre-e. (Not that it will keep you from getting it, but that it might help.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

I read that!! I have been craving cheese like crazy so maybe that'll give me a head start :P

momof2peanutz Newbie

I got pregnant at 21, very healthy, no indication of any celiacs. At 30 weeks I was put on bed rest, 32 weeks, hospital bed rest and emergency induction at 36 weeks. My BP was 190/110 when I delivered. It was horrible and scary.

So far this pregnancy is going better. My husband is deployed so I have had some blood pressure issues from stress and theyre watching me for Pre-E this time.

I hope I escape it.

What you had for your first pregnancy sounds a lot like what I experienced both of mine. Although, they couldn't induce me -my cervix wouldn't dilate. It was horrible b/c then I sat there for days, blowing up w/ more water.

Anyhow, yea, gluten-free and hopefully this won't happen again.

Thanks to everyone for your input and if anyone has any other experiences, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

thanks much

atb913 Newbie

I am only recently figuring out the gluten connection. I have an 'unspecified auto immune disorder' and angioedema. I developed preeclampsia during my pregnancy and spilled protein like crazy.

I have been gluten free less than a week and already feel much better. So much so that if my chronic kidney and pain issues resolve themselves, I would consider TTC again.

FWIW, it took me 2 years to get our only. I had lots of fertility issues.

• 4 weeks later...
txplowgirl Enthusiast

I have had what we now know were gluten issues from childhood. I became pregnant at the age of 19. I was fine up until about my 16th week. Started showing signs of preeclampsia. Was miserably sick every single day. I could not keep anything down and was hospitalized at 24 weeks for a month then sent home for a week then wound up back in the hospital and they had to deliver my son at about 30 weeks. He had a hospital stay of about 3 weeks with juandice and lungs which weren't fully developed. The went on to have 7 miscarriages in the next 5 years.

I truly believe that if I had known about gluten back then I would have all my children with me today.

Coleslawcat Contributor

Greatly appreciated,

Morgan

I had 2 pregnancies prior to my diagnosis. I had pre-eclampsia with my first, but it was a minor case compared to yours. My second I did not have pre-eclampsia. I had other complications that were actually much worse for me than the pre-e with my first pregnancy, but thankfully I did not have pre-e on top of that. I was then diagnosed which gave me the confidence to have a 3rd child hoping that it would resolve my problems. My 3rd pregnancy I had neither pre-e nor the problems I had with my 2nd pregnancy. I did have severe gall stone attacks which sucked, but that was unrelated.

• 1 month later...
gem75 Rookie

I developed pre e with my son. My bp was very high from about 20 weeks on, i developed pre E the 38th week and had a c-section. This was 4 .5 years ago. I am having problems getting pregnant the 2nd time around.

I am having my progesterone checked on the 21's day of my cycle and we will go from there. I probably will need clomid.

I have been gluten-free since the beginning of the month.

organicmama Contributor

There are some older studies that showed virtually zero risk of pre-eclampsia when maternal protein intake was a minimum of 80 to 100 grams per day. Have you ever measured your protein intake on a daily basis?

Archived