This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Celiacs Use A Heat Bag Made Of Wheat?

MissBonnie

MissBonnie Apprentice

it sounds like a strange question, but can we use hot wheat bags? when i get pain i want to use one ut its made with wheat so im apprehensive... :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I use one often. Haven't noticed any adverse effects. It's not an allergy we have - it's an autoimmune disease from ingesting it.

kareng Grand Master

We have made them at our house but we fill them with rice.

MissBonnie Apprentice

thanks very much! i will continue to use it :)

• 8 months later...
johnbeau Newbie

Hi,

My mother is 90 and for the past few years has developed Eczema like rash (on top of being Celiac, nearly blind, almost deaf and fragile this seems like the last straw!) I was wondering if her continued use of a wheat bag could be aggravating / causing this. Having read the above it seems unlikely but maybe the rice bags would be a safer bet (hot water bottles are too dangerous in terms of filling up)...any thoughts on if this is misguided or where I could buy wheat bags? John

kareng Grand Master

Hi,

My mother is 90 and for the past few years has developed Eczema like rash (on top of being Celiac, nearly blind, almost deaf and fragile this seems like the last straw!) I was wondering if her continued use of a wheat bag could be aggravating / causing this. Having read the above it seems unlikely but maybe the rice bags would be a safer bet (hot water bottles are too dangerous in terms of filling up)...any thoughts on if this is misguided or where I could buy wheat bags? John

We make our own rice bags out of flannel fabric. The main problem with them is that they are very heavy. I think there are now packs like an ice pack but that you microwave.

Here's one kind

Open Original Shared Link

Cathey Apprentice

I use to use the wheat kind but the smell in the microwave bothered me and it just got old. Last year I brought the Carex Bed Buddy around $8-10 it's filled with oat and rice and you don't have to put water in the microwave. You can also freeze it or microwave.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UKGail Rookie

I couldn't use these as hot gluten burns my sinuses, (I had chronic sinusitis which is only very slowly subsiding now I am gluten-free). If I don't get away from the smell sharpish I start to get "glutening" symptoms. I guess this might be a wheat allergy reaction, but I haven't been able to have any tests for this yet.

Archived