This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Meatloaf Recipes? Anyone?

momtok&m

momtok&m Explorer

I'm stuck. I'm tapped out. I love ground beef, cook with it all the time, but I'm at a loss for tonight. I want to make those cute meatloaves in muffin tins with mashed potato "frosting" but I can't find an easy, gluten-free recipe for meat loaf. Mine always comes out too wet and I like it solid enough to slice for sandwiches. I have gluten-free rolled oats but have never used them in meatloaf. If it makes any difference, we use grass fed beef so it's pretty low fat and we don't have any other food issues.

Any other fun dinner ideas are welcome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm stuck. I'm tapped out. I love ground beef, cook with it all the time, but I'm at a loss for tonight. I want to make those cute meatloaves in muffin tins with mashed potato "frosting" but I can't find an easy, gluten-free recipe for meat loaf. Mine always comes out too wet and I like it solid enough to slice for sandwiches. I have gluten-free rolled oats but have never used them in meatloaf. If it makes any difference, we use grass fed beef so it's pretty low fat and we don't have any other food issues.

Any other fun dinner ideas are welcome!

I have used oatmeal in the past prior to going gluten free. It worked but I didn't really care for the texture. Some other things you can try: Gluten free bread made into bread crumbs in the food processer, chex cereal or gluten-free corn flakes crushed or put through the food processor, or Betty Crocker potato buds. If you like a really dense, solid loaf for sandwiches then be sure any veggies you add are pre-cooked and well drained. Whenever I have looked for recipes for gluten-free meatloaf the ones that come up have lots of veggies added for some reason and almost always fall apart when made. I think it must be because gluten-free moms are more educated about nutrition and always trying to sneak more veggies in to their gluten-free kid's diets or something. I prefer to just use a regular meatloaf recipe and sub the bread crumbs for gluten-free. I can eat my veggies as a side dish.

momtok&m Explorer

I probably should of mentioned, I don't buy gluten-free bread. DD2, our only gluten-free family member, doesn't like it so I don't spend the money! I also don't have gluten-free bread crumbs. Would Chex make it too sweet?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I probably should of mentioned, I don't buy gluten-free bread. DD2, our only gluten-free family member, doesn't like it so I don't spend the money! I also don't have gluten-free bread crumbs. Would Chex make it too sweet?

Plain rice chex or plain corn chex is not sweet. But I like to make my meatloaf with ketchup and brown sugar on top so maybe I am not the one to ask.

Just as a side note, If you ever decide to try gluten-free bread again in the future and your family still doesn't like it (there ARE more bad ones than good out there for sure) you can always just make bread crumbs from it and put them in the freezer. Even the worst tasting gluten-free bread usually works for bread crumbs in meatloaf, meatballs, and casseroles. They are usually good for making croutons too. The same applies for home-baked gluten-free breads that just didn't quite work. :blink:

momtok&m Explorer

[quote name='GlutenFreeManna' timestamp='1306256101' post='701904'

Just as a side note, If you ever decide to try gluten-free bread again in the future and your family still doesn't like it (there ARE more bad ones than good out there for sure) you can always just make bread crumbs from it and put them in the freezer. Even the worst tasting gluten-free bread usually works for bread crumbs in meatloaf, meatballs, and casseroles. They are usually good for making croutons too. The same applies for home-baked gluten-free breads that just didn't quite work. :blink:

Marilyn R Community Regular

This isn't really a meat loaf recipe, but I purchased ground pork today and mixed it with fennel and onion & s&p. We grilled it shaped into burgers and it was great.

So for a meat loaf recipe, I'd do 1 lb. burger with 1/2 lb. gound pork, l cup chopped onion, and 1/2 cup grain mix of your choice. I've used coursely ground rice Checks or bread crumbs made from Udi's gluten-free bread. 1 egg. If you can do oats, my mom always made her meatloaf with oatmeal as the filler. And it was good!

She spread the top with ketchup about 15 minutes before coming out of the oven.

Chef Paul Prudomme adds chopped celery and pepper, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, green onions, garlic, tabasco, Worchestershire and tabasco sauce, butter, cumin, and 2 eggs vs. one.

I think meat loaf is a license to experiment. Good luck, :)

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't have an actual recipe and I add tons of veggies to ours plus I can't use egg. So mine is not the best for slicing. I just make free form mini loaves.

First I chop my veggies really well with the food processor. Then I saute them in a small amount of olive oil until I have cooked as much of the liquid out of them as I can. I let them cool. Then I use my Magic Bullet and turn the oats into as close to powder as I can. I then add them to my veggies. I used to add ground flaxseed and water in lieu of the egg but more recently have added baby food squash instead. This adds extra veggies to our diet. I then add some tomato juice or V8 juice. Whatever I have in the house. Probably 6-8 ounces, depending on how much I am making. I tend to make a lot because we like the leftovers. You need to let the oats soak for probably 10 minutes or so. This helps to really get them mixed in well. Now I suppose you could leave out some of the veggies. I usually use bell pepper, carrot, onion, maybe celery, a bit of spinach and maybe even some mushrooms. I would use at least the onion and maybe also the pepper for flavor. You could use milk in place of the juice but we like the taste that the juice gives.

After that I add the meat and some ketchup or chili sauce. I also add salt, pepper, parsley, and Italian seasoning. I just do it till it looks right. You have to mix this with your hands.

I then form the loaves on a non-stick foil lined pan or two. I use the lipped cookie sheets. I then spread some more ketchup or chili sauce over the top. Bake at 350 for about an hour.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I like most gluten-free bread but since DD has been gluten-free since 9ish months she never acquired a taste for it! Believe me, I've tried! Same for pizza! I used rice chex as a coating and thought it tasted sweet, I'll give it a shot in meatloaf and add some extra savory stuff to it.

You can also buy gluten-free breadcrumbs. There are a few stores here that sell them.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I've used this with lean ground beef and turkey. I mix the meat (one pound) with two eggs, ketchup, mustard and gluten-free worcestershire sauce. Heavy on the ketchup (daughter loves) I add gluten-free bread crumbs, there is a kinnikinnick panko bread crumbs thats good too. Salt pepper, if you like add onion and green peppers. I eyeball it all according to what my daughter likes. Right before it is done, I add ketchup to the top for a glaze. If you like it on the sweeter side, you could add brown sugar to the glaze. My daugther likes straight up ketchup.

You can make this with any seasonings you like. I think the egg and bread crumbs are important to hold it together. I've made this with gluten-free italian seasoned bread crumbs also.

Pippi777 Newbie

I don't like any store bought, ready made gluten-free bread, either. I did find, however, Namaste brand flour. They have about 15 different kids of stuff you can make. You'd have to make your own bread, but it is MUCH better than Udi's or anything else I've tried!

freeatlast Collaborator

I don't like any store bought, ready made gluten-free bread, either. I did find, however, Namaste brand flour. They have about 15 different kids of stuff you can make. You'd have to make your own bread, but it is MUCH better than Udi's or anything else I've tried!

Know what you mean about Udi's. LOL. Just bought my first loaf and ate one slice with butter. It's been retired to the freezer. Will use as bread crumbs in meatloaf or possibly sometime when there is nothing to eat in the house and am desperate.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Prior to gluten free, I used saltine crackers in my meatloaf as my bread/grain/carb component. After taking my daughter gluten free, I experimented with several different options and settled on chex . . . although I wasn't completely satisfied with the chex (texture was OK, but the taste was off). I now use 1/2 crushed glutino pretzels and 1/2 crushed glutino rice crakers (the plain ones that look ritz-ish) and I think I'm back to my original taste/texture.

Nothin' beats a cold meatloaf sandwich with ketchup.

momtok&m Explorer

I used gluten-free rolled oats and it was super tasty, now I lost the recipe! Figures ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

I use gluten-free bread crumbs. I bake enough bread that sometimes it's only good for crumbs. :ph34r: So I never have a shortage.

love2travel Mentor

Have you tried free-form meatloaves? Just shape it onto a broiler and bake. That way the fat drains off and doesn't just sit inside the pan.

I always sautee the veg prior to adding. I also and add milk to the breadcrumbs so they suck up the moisture (this is called a panade). Soft breadcrumbs work best for this.

Adding freshly-grated nutmeg adds that something special - it is a subtle and elusive but delicious flavour.

Buying your own chuck and other cuts to grind yourself is easy. The best flavour comes from 15-20% fat (seems high but it is moist). My favourite combo includes pork for better flavour. Or just simply drape bacon, pancetta or prosciutto over the free-form meatloaf.

I slather on some homemade BBQ sauce or simply a mixture of ketchup, some ground mustard, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and sauteed onions on all sides before roasting in the oven. Then I baste with more.

Judy3 Contributor

I just made meatloaf last night for dinner.

2 lbs ground beef

1 onion finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste

2 eggs

about a cup of crushed rice crackers or gluten free bread crumbs.

mix with hands, form into loaf and back at 350 on a foil lined baking pan (I don't use a loaf pan anymore because we like it browned on all sides.. :)

Sliced nicely for sandwiches today. Increase the ingredients as needed Ratios: 1 lb beef, 1 egg, 1/2 onion and 1/2 cup cracker crumbs

freeatlast Collaborator

Speaking of meatloaf, I've been searching for the link for the meatloaf recipe that included chorizo sausage as one of three ground meats. Anyone remember that one?

momtok&m Explorer

I've never seen it, but most of the chorizo I've seen has gluten in it :unsure::ph34r:

love2travel Mentor

I've never seen it, but most of the chorizo I've seen has gluten in it :unsure::ph34r:

I love adding chorizo to meatloaf. Thankfully I have access to gluten-free chorizo in an Italian specialty shop three hours away. I used it the other day in my Jambalaya as well.

There is also a farm close by that makes artisan cheeses and dry cured meats - all gluten-free at a dedicated gluten-free facility. They are adding chorizo as well! :)

amybeth Enthusiast

We just discovered a gluten free meatloaf recipe on allrecipes.com

Uses ground turkey and quinoa as the binding agent.

Forget the "name" of it, but if you go to allrecipes.com and search for ingredients ground turkey and quinoa it is sure to come up. I recommend doubling the sauce ingredients.

It's really good and my 2yo picky eater gobbles it up!

momtok&m Explorer

We just discovered a gluten free meatloaf recipe on allrecipes.com

Uses ground turkey and quinoa as the binding agent.

Forget the "name" of it, but if you go to allrecipes.com and search for ingredients ground turkey and quinoa it is sure to come up. I recommend doubling the sauce ingredients.

It's really good and my 2yo picky eater gobbles it up!

I think I may have to look that up, I love quinoa!

Archived