rain

Emergency Food At Work

Rate this topic

I'm really curious to hear what folks do for meals at work when you're unprepared?

For example I was just super hungry yesterday at about 2:00..I wandered around the different delis and bought some chicken and rice but I'm sure I've been glutened. Ideally I'd keep something in the freezer for just these situations. (I'm still learning..)

You could keep a supply of nonperishable stuff like gluten-free pretzels, Lara Bars, etc on hand for those times. One thing we really have to do is be prepared. It is a pain but it is the best way to keep from getting stuck hungrey with nothing safe to eat.

I always have a Lara Bar or Enjoy Life bar in my purse. I also keep a little cooler bag that looks like a purse stocked with some non-perishables. Currently it has gluten-free granola, Enjoy Life bars, Almonds, dried cranberrys and banana chips. Some other things I have in there sometimes are gluten-free pretzels, corn chips, rice cakes and a little jar of PB. I try to take it with me everywhere even if I'm not planning on being out during a meal time. Plans change, things happen and you just never know when you may need a snack. If I'm planning on being out for a meal I will add an ice pack and pack a cold lunch in it--usually a salad with cooked chicken and a little container of dressing. I can add my almonds and dried cranberries to it and feel like I'm eating a restaurant quality salad. Some other things I make for portable lunches are cold spring rolls with rice paper wrappers, peanut butter and jelly rice cakes, hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks and hummus, and green bean and potato salad.

I keep the NoGii bars on hand. You have to order them on Amazon, but they have 20 grams of protein. Tempo bars from Ortho Molecular (chocolate mint) are also good.

I have emergency stashes in my drawer at work that fill me up and aren't expensive. Canned manderine oranges, raisins, rice cakes, craisins, canned tuna...

I have emergency stashes in my drawer at work that fill me up and aren't expensive. Canned manderine oranges, raisins, rice cakes, craisins, canned tuna...

Sounds like Jenngolightly has a heavy drawer at work. :)

I am jealous...

Sounds like Jenngolightly has a heavy drawer at work. :)

I am jealous...

Well you know what they say about women with heavy drawers...

Yeah, neither do I. :)

But it's important to keep things that will fill you up so you're not tempted to run to the vending machines.

I have a heavy drawer too. :lol: I keep dried rice noodle bowls that are gluten-free, some sort of fruit/nut bar, microwave popcorn, and sometimes Tastybite Indian food. Sometimes I bring cups of applesauce or fruit. I just found some bowls of precooked plain brown rice too. They were pricey but I don't plan on eating very many.

Google GoPicnic and check out the gluten-free, shelf-stable, meal options. They look like adult "lunchables" only with healthier choices.

We use these when we travel and need to avoid the fast food places at the rest stops along the way.

Cara

I have dried fruit and nuts, and gluten-free museli bars for snacks. I always take a meal with me, usually leftovers from dinner. There's not much safe options if I don't bring food with me where I work.

Chocolate is good too :P

I always carry a Lara Bar, Think Thin bar, and little bag of cashews in my purse. We have a fridge at work, so I keep vegetables and some protein powder there, and I have a few cans of salmon in my locker. There's also a street vendor with fresh fruit right by my work, so I can always live off of fruit for the night if I need to. :)