This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anybody Stuggle To Talk When Glutened?

speedy2056

speedy2056 Apprentice

I can stumble over my own words and stutter before managing to get words out. I find that I also have to "search" for the words in my mind before making an effort to get them out. Anyone else have this issue? I suffer brain fog so I guess the cause could be because of that.

When I follow a wheat free diet I am fine and I don't stutter or stumble over my words. It's strange.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I can stumble over my own words and stutter before managing to get words out. I find that I also have to "search" for the words in my mind before making an effort to get them out. Anyone else have this issue? I suffer brain fog so I guess the cause could be because of that.

When I follow a wheat free diet I am fine and I don't stutter or stumble over my words. It's strange.

Yes, I have many cns problems including not being able to find the right word when I have ingested gluten and now, these days, also high salicylic acid foods. I have a feeling its not al that uncommon. Likely a lot more is going on too that suggests you should stay off gluten, eh?

laura4669 Apprentice

Yes! It took me a long time to figure out the connection.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Now that I have healed well it isn't as bad as it was. Before diagnosis speech was a big issue for me. Both with finding words and actually speaking them. Gluten can really mess badly with the brain. I do find that now that I have been strict with the diet for a long time that the neuro effects like trouble speaking and walking are much milder when I get glutened. For a long time though those symptoms would come back full force with a glutening.

speedy2056 Apprentice

I have a blood test tomorrow to confirm whether I have caeliac disease, but even if it comes back negative I am still going to pursue it, as I do believe celiac disease is really the cause! I was fine this morning, but I glutened up after and I began to stumble over my words again. The anxiety that I get with it is still with me, too. Can't wait to get off it!

Harpgirl Explorer

I stutter and stumble over my words and have difficulty coming up with the right word to use all the time. I also find myself rambling because I never feel I've made my point properly. I've only been gluten free (for the most part) for a little over a week. It'll be really nice if that goes away! I just thought it was the way I was. :huh:

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Boy, can I relate. I can remember thinking of something but what came out of my mouth was totally different. My ex accused me of talking backwards. Huh? :blink: Then again I could be talking about a car but it would come out instead of saying car I would say something like ball, and on top of that I would swear I was thinking car and I swore I said car but everyone would look at me funny and tell me I said ball.

I also seem to have a habit of saying everything twice and i've also caught myself writing something twice. It's like my mind goes into a feedback loop and I can't get out of it. There are times I catch myself and litterally make my mind think of something else to get out of it.

Very exhausting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

speedy2056 Apprentice

Man, I've not even tested positive yet, but I can relate to so many things here! I can also relate to the two posts above with the rambling and thinking and what actually comes out being different thing.

I had friends over tonight and ended up saying something completely unrelated to the topic to end my sentence and had to correct myself. It's really embarrassing! But they know about this gluten thing, anyway, so I guess it's not all that bad.

I've already tried being gluten free and I am lucky enough to see the difference within a day! The speed in which I talk increases and I don't stutter or fall over my words.

In my heart of hearts I know I have this!

domesticactivist Collaborator

I don't know if it's gluten - I've noticed that since being gluten-free I stutter horribly when I'm flustered. I didn't used to do that.

Whenever I get migraine auras I get aphasia (saying the wrong word). The first time I noticed it I was doing times tables with the kids. I was reading the flash cards to them. I'd think I said the right word, but I'd say a totally different word. I thought I was having a stroke! Since being gluten-free and doing GAPS I've only had two migraine auras. The first time I'm sure I'd been glutened. The second time I think it was because I had balsamic vinegar which has sulfites in it the night before.

I'm a very verbal person so it's always unusual when I have a hard time talking.

Poppi Enthusiast

I space out in the middle of sentences, stutter and completely forget the topic of conversation when I've been glutened.

I was having coffee with a friend a few weeks ago and I guess we were talking about babies. I looked down at my knitting and my mind went blank I guess. We then had the following conversation:

Her: Yeah, they grow up so fast

Me: Who grows up?

Her: Uh. Babies.

Me: Oh. Were we talking about babies?

Her: *Looking confused* Um, yeah, we've been talking about babies for like half an hour.

Me: Really? Huh.

:lol: Pretty typical conversation with me sadly.

My husband will often say something to me along the lines of, "Remember when you told me about ________?"

Nope. I sure don't.

YoloGx Rookie

Just wondering if any of you have been diagnosed with ADD? Reason I ask is that I described what its like for me and my boyfriend who also is completely unable to tolerate any gluten was diagnosed with ADHD--which has now gone away, being a year and a half off all trace gluten. He used to take Wellbutron for it. He said women tend to get ADD -- i.e., be less hyper than guys with this condition, but with ADD one still gets the "brain farts"! And the need to hyper focus to get past it... But beware the fool who interrupts us, eh?? At least that was how it was for me, whereas now its no big deal if someone does interrupt my thinking for a minute. I find I am a lot more flexible and gracious than I was capable of being previously.

All I can say is that I am so very glad to be able to think continuously more clearly and have better recall of words and short term memory in general. My old symptoms were so embarrassing! Not to speak of at times a little worrisome and occasionally frightening. I used to tell the old ladies at a nursing home I worked at long ago: "Don't worry about not being able to remember; I've had that problem since I was eight! Its nothing..." Well actually, not really. It was and is a big deal, its just that in the past I could do nothing about it.

Marz Enthusiast

Oh yeah! It's not my main symptom, but after 25 years of perfect speech, I suddenly developed a bad stutter when my gluten intolerance got bad last year.

Specifically I get stuck on "s" sounds. Also switching words, talking reaaaally slooowly and not being able to retrieve a word that I want to say. All went away on gluten free diet, fortunately. I hate to know what the hell gluten is doing to our brains!

YoloGx Rookie

Oh yeah! It's not my main symptom, but after 25 years of perfect speech, I suddenly developed a bad stutter when my gluten intolerance got bad last year.

Specifically I get stuck on "s" sounds. Also switching words, talking reaaaally slooowly and not being able to retrieve a word that I want to say. All went away on gluten free diet, fortunately. I hate to know what the hell gluten is doing to our brains!

I hear tell gluten can cut down 1/3 of the blood supply from the carotid arteries to the brain--esp. the frontal lobe. Often causes depression too.

Harpgirl Explorer

Just wondering if any of you have been diagnosed with ADD? Reason I ask is that I described what its like for me and my boyfriend who also is completely unable to tolerate any gluten was diagnosed with ADHD--which has now gone away, being a year and a half off all trace gluten. He used to take Wellbutron for it. He said women tend to get ADD -- i.e., be less hyper than guys with this condition, but with ADD one still gets the "brain farts"! And the need to hyper focus to get past it... But beware the fool who interrupts us, eh?? At least that was how it was for me, whereas now its no big deal if someone does interrupt my thinking for a minute. I find I am a lot more flexible and gracious than I was capable of being previously.

All I can say is that I am so very glad to be able to think continuously more clearly and have better recall of words and short term memory in general. My old symptoms were so embarrassing! Not to speak of at times a little worrisome and occasionally frightening. I used to tell the old ladies at a nursing home I worked at long ago: "Don't worry about not being able to remember; I've had that problem since I was eight! Its nothing..." Well actually, not really. It was and is a big deal, its just that in the past I could do nothing about it.

I actually was just recently tested for it because we thought that I may have ADD. I'm constantly forgetting things all the time and it drives my hubby nuts! (me too to be honest :P ) Turns out it's just a mild case of anxiety/depression coupled with OCD tendencies. I'm working on relieving this through relaxation and seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist, but it appears going gluten free ought to help too. :D

tea-and-crumpets Explorer

I feel like I "lose" words when I get glutened. I also find myself using the wrong word. My husband will look at me funny and then I can usually pull the right one out of my brain. Dealing with this right now as I got glutened over the weekend, ugh.

I have been tested for ADD but do not have it.

YoloGx Rookie

Hmm. I wonder if my boyfriend got misdiagnosed? He's over the ADHD being entirely gluten free--and sometimes gets it back if he gets glutened -- along with migraines.

Now I want to read more about ADD, what it is, what it isn't.

Whatever it is we've got, I am just glad being gluten free takes care of it (and for me also being on low salicylic acid foods).

Mummyto3 Contributor

Thats yet another symptom I have, but never put it down to coeliac (results to be confirmed). Words that I don't mean to say tumble out and I have to quickly correct myself. I muddle up words in sentences and stutter when I'm trying to say something. It's not all the time but its so embarrassing when it does happen :unsure:

Mummyto3 Contributor

My husband will often say something to me along the lines of, "Remember when you told me about ________?"

Nope. I sure don't.

My daughters exactly the same. We have conversations about something and when I mention it later on, either minutes later, hours or a day, she'll insist we didn't talk about that thing. Its really frustrating. I've often been accused of answering my hubby about something, he'll mention it later and I won't have a clue what he's on about. My daughter and I must be funny together lol

Mummyto3 Contributor

I feel like I "lose" words when I get glutened. I also find myself using the wrong word. My husband will look at me funny and then I can usually pull the right one out of my brain. Dealing with this right now as I got glutened over the weekend, ugh.

I have been tested for ADD but do not have it.

I can relate to that too. I often can't find a word, it drives me nuts. I can't settle until I find that one word. I try to describe what I mean to my hubby so he can help lol I do eventually get the word but its just so frustrating!

YoloGx Rookie

I sometimes turn it to my advantage when writing poetry by describing the thing when i can't think of its name! lol!!

Noomers Rookie

My 3yo will suddenly develop a severe stutter when he gets glutened. It really freaks me out!

Harpgirl Explorer

I sometimes turn it to my advantage when writing poetry by describing the thing when i can't think of its name! lol!!

:lol: I'm going to have to try that!

I was wondering, how long does it take for your talking issues to "normalize?" I haven't found much relief yet, though I have been glutened several times (the last time being Sunday).

YoloGx Rookie

I was wondering, how long does it take for your talking issues to "normalize?" I haven't found much relief yet, though I have been glutened several times (the last time being Sunday).

I don't really recall how long it took. I'll have to think on that. I just know I woke up to the realization recently when thinking of the benefits of being on an entirely gluten free diet. "Brain farts" were just such a common part of my experience since I was a child that I didn't even think about them, honestly. This particular benefit just kind of sneaked up on me when I wasn't looking, since there were so many other things I was more focused on--like feeling healthier and more energetic with fewer aches and pains, no more dental carries, gum problems, bronchitis, colds or flu, no more depression and anxiety, improved skin, nails and hair, much less bloating and digestive disturbances, improved sleep (this last being the most difficult to cure--it now taking being off high to medium salicylic acid content food, medicines and toiletries as well as exercise and yoga etc.).

speedy2056 Apprentice

For me, it's usually the next day, along with other symptoms such as anxiety, chronic fatigue and a little depression. Even my typing speed improves! lol.

Marie1976 Enthusiast

Wow I keep finding more and more symptoms on this board that I didn't realize were connected to celiac. I have had anxiety/depression for years and now I think it was related to celiac.

The stuttering/stumbling over words started about a year ago (when the digestive symptoms started). Weird. It seems like I end up talking too fast and stuttering when I'm feeling anxiety. And then I feel embarrassed about it which causes more anxiety.

I have brain "fog" and memory issues too. I'm hoping all of it goes away soon. I've been gluten-free for two months and I'm so sick today, I don't even know what I ate... When does it end?

Archived