This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heat Wave Is Wearing Me Out

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I have noticed that since this heat wave started (I live in Central Illinois), that I have been feeling more tired, sluggish and general worn-out feeling. I also have been getting headaches and sinus aches. I'm taking all the necessary precautions (I stay indoors in an air conditioned environment, drink lots of fluids-but perhaps not enough, taking it easy and not overexerting myself, etc).

Is this heat wave making anyone else feel lousy, too? I sometimes wonder if I'm really sensitive to barometric pressure, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenfreeinminnesota Contributor

I am in Minnesota and the other day when the temp was 100's (but felt like 120 according to weather.com) I was feeling the same way. I didn't want to get out of bed, just wanted to sleep...came home from work and just lounged around. Couldn't get the motivation for anything. Today, temp is in the 80's and I feel better. Just trying to keep hydrated! Hope it cools down for you guys soon! And hope you feel better!

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi Cool, yes maam, it's been in the 100's here in Oklahoma, I'm feeling the same as you. It's hard, just try to dd the best you can to stay cool.

Jungle Rookie

We were whining that we haven't got any summer yet. And then I saw the news about the heat wave. I think I'll just put a sweater on and get over it. That looks too hot for me. But would one nice day be too much to ask for. For the last 6 weeks we haven't had anything over 20c and it has rained everyday. I keep expecting to see the leaves change colour.

love2travel Mentor

We have been SO lucky here this year! My ideal temperature is about 60F and lots of rain. We have had some days in the 80s but basically it has been mainly in the 70s. Absolutely lovely and green. So sorry to hear of the atrocious heatwaves! That would do me in. I have never liked heat and am more intolerant with fibromyalgia. I have had heat exhaustion a few times in Italy - not nice.

kareng Grand Master

My 15 yr old spent last week in Canada canoeing. They had one day that might have been 80. Wore sweat shirts in the a.m.s

This week & next he is working at a day camp in 95-100 F . With lacrosse games some evenings.

I think of him & realize I'm fine. :rolleyes:

sa1937 Community Regular

Sweltering heat has moved into my area, too (south central Pennsylvania). It's still 90

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It's wiping me out too! Our air conditioner is struggling and not cooling the room very well. I keep getting very dizzy and weak. I don't want to eat.

It was up to 103* yesterday with a dew point of 80*. I can't breathe if I go outside.

Just lolling around and hoping to make through.. :(

sa1937 Community Regular

We've already hit 100

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ugh, i know the feeling where i live (CO) there isn't much of a heatwave, tho its been in the mid and upper 90s >< I can't stand heat at ALL (this is coming from someone who used to live in FL for a large portion of her life).

I just, slug around all day >< Heat heat go away.

sounds like I'm not the only one. I went to volunteer today but after I got out of my car I felt kind of weak and lightheaded. The grass is getting pretty yellow here. It's not a drought yet in Champaign, Illinois (east central Illinois) but if it continues to not rain, I'm afraid it will be. The last really bad drought we had was in the summer of 1988.

I guess the key thing is to drink lots of fluids, even if you don't feel thirsty. Apparently, you can still be dehydrated and/or experience heat exhaustion if you're not thirsty.

It's been in the high 90s today (yesterday hit 102, yuck) with a much higher heat index. I just don't have much desire to go much of anywhere when it's so hot outside. I'm wondering if heat waves affect Celiacs worse than other people.

shadowicewolf Proficient

sounds like I'm not the only one. I went to volunteer today but after I got out of my car I felt kind of weak and lightheaded. The grass is getting pretty yellow here. It's not a drought yet in Champaign, Illinois (east central Illinois) but if it continues to not rain, I'm afraid it will be. The last really bad drought we had was in the summer of 1988.

I guess the key thing is to drink lots of fluids, even if you don't feel thirsty. Apparently, you can still be dehydrated and/or experience heat exhaustion if you're not thirsty.

It's been in the high 90s today (yesterday hit 102, yuck) with a much higher heat index. I just don't have much desire to go much of anywhere when it's so hot outside. I'm wondering if heat waves affect Celiacs worse than other people.

I think it would be better said that it effects those who have medical issues over those who don't.

Juliebove Rising Star

Here in the PNW we have escaped the heat so far. It did feel warm today because it was in the 70's and it's supposed to hit 80 tomorrow. I have lived in places where it gets a lot hotter but here 80 can feel uncomfortable because so few places have AC. I've already filled our Chillows (hope they work) and have planned to go to Costco and Target tomorrow. Wouldn't be necessary but I forgot a couple of things when I went to Winco yesterday and also drove all over the place this past week and need gas. Yes, I could have gotten it yesterday because there is a Costco next door to Winco but this is one way we can get out of the house and take advantage of other people's (and our van's) AC for a couple of hour.

kareng Grand Master

Yes, I could have gotten it yesterday because there is a Costco next door to Winco but this is one way we can get out of the house and take advantage of other people's (and our van's) AC for a couple of hour.

Costco is a good place to kill some time. Hub & I have a "date" to go this morning. Sad... :unsure: I need to get 2 things & hub will look at everything and we will be there an hour.

Hope your daughter's back is getting better. Sounds like she has lucked out on the weather.

Juliebove Rising Star

Costco is a good place to kill some time. Hub & I have a "date" to go this morning. Sad... :unsure: I need to get 2 things & hub will look at everything and we will be there an hour.

Hope your daughter's back is getting better. Sounds like she has lucked out on the weather.

I love to go into the dairy and produce rooms. Soooo nice and cool! We had a nice surprise today too! Target now has their fresh grocery. We saved a lot of money but for some reason the gluten-free chocolate chip cookie mix (Betty Crocker) was on clearance. As were some pecans. Daughter wants me to bake something now but I said I wouldn't until it cools off. I do plan to make her a yellow cake for her birthday on the 27th. If it is hot I will just bite the bullet and do it. I don't bake for her very often any more. When she was first diagnosed I was baking nearly every night. But very little of it came out well.

It's still quite hot here but not as bad as it was and I'm feeling better for the most part :)

I would LOVE to move out to the Pacific Northwest. My brother lives in Seattle and loves it. I can't leave the state of Illinois, though, because of pre-existing conditions and health insurance :(

krystynycole Contributor

It's still quite hot here but not as bad as it was and I'm feeling better for the most part :)

I would LOVE to move out to the Pacific Northwest. My brother lives in Seattle and loves it. I can't leave the state of Illinois, though, because of pre-existing conditions and health insurance :(

I'm a little more north...a suburb southwest of Chicago and It's hot up here too with AC non stop! I've been glued to my water bottle being refilled and taking my B-Complex vitamin for energy. The vitamin seems to give energy and keeps me a little more up beat in this weather!

Juliebove Rising Star

We have been lucky here so far. At the moment is it a little warm. But not unbearable.

Archived