This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk Lifting My Mood And Giving Energy...why?

speedy2056

speedy2056 Apprentice

Hi everyone,

this may sound strange but I've recently made the discovery that milk enhances my mood and provides me with energy almost instantly after I've drank it.

This has been happening now for a short while now. When I was accidentally got glutened last week the milk didn't really take any effect, but now that it's been a few days, whatever is in the milk is giving me that lift again. This led me to believe that it could have been a B12 deficiency that I may have been suffering from so I bought some sublingual pills. They arrived today. I did some research and learnt that the methylcobalamin is the best form to take so I got those. I took a pill today and felt nothing. I did read that it could take months to see any chance but this doesn't explain what happened below.

I just drank milk again and got that energy boost, mood lift and a general feeling of good well being.

This may not be the right forum but I am writing this here, anyway, since celiac sufferers may have knowledge of vitamins, etc.

Does anyone know what vitamin could be responsible?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Maybe it's a mild effect from the opioid peptides in milk. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

My BIL runs marathons. The recommended drink after exercise is chocolate milk. I know even non-fat milk &/ or chocolate have a good effect on my oldest boy. He plans to stock his dorm fridge with choco milk & Mt dew. If you can digest it, it sounds like a pretty safe upper. :)

That's great Sky! I'm going to tell him he doesn't need drugs. choco milk is his drug.

Edited: just talked to my 18 year old. He said "That sounds about right." in regards to Speedy's mood lift & energy boost. So there are 2 of you.

GFinDC Veteran

It could be the casein protein also. The American military once experimented with using casein as a fatigue fighter for soldiers. I have reactions to dairy products myself. I once stayed awake for 3 days straight after eating cheese and wasn't even tired. Started sleeping a after that 4 hours and then 6 hours the next day etc. Now that I have been off gluten longer and have a more healed gut, I don't react to it like that. But I still don't eat it for other reasons.

speedy2056 Apprentice

Well, I did lots of research about all this in the past few days and narrowed it down to either a possible B3 or B1 deficiency. Firstly, I tried B3 foods, such as chicken and felt no change.

Today, I tried B1 and felt the same effect that I got from milk ie more energy, much less anxiety (I experienced this a lot!) my mood is much more happy and I feel motivated to do many more things.

I read that Celiac can cause deficiency of many different B vitamins including B1. I believe I may have found my answer but I don't want to say too much in case I'm wrong.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the effects of thinking that I have finally found the right vitamin to replenish.

krystynycole Contributor

I take a vitamin B-Complex pill. It includes all B vitamins. They seem to give me a lot of energy. In fact I have to be careful not to take them to late into the afternoon because then I'm up all night with energy to burn :)

kareng Grand Master

Maybe it's a mild effect from the opioid peptides in milk. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Open Original Shared Link

My son is really enjoying this! He drank some milk & started jumping around.- all 6'1 175 lbs. "I'm having opiod peptides!"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

How funny! It's nice to get a high from something healthy. B)

• 3 weeks later...
GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Have you ever bought a bottle of Organic, low fat chocolate milk and added protein powder to it? I don't care what time of the day or night... it propels my mood exponentially.

Archived