Seeleeack

Celiac Symptoms...

Rate this topic

Hello there. I'm 21 and have had occasional diarrhea for the past 15 months. I don't know if stress was the trigger but when it started I was under major stress. My diarrhea came out of the blue, and I was having it 2-3 times a day for a few weeks, I had a stool test and a blood test which were normal. My doctor said it was IBS. Since then my condition has improved, but I still get diarrhea once every 2-3 weeks. I only ever get it after a dinner, never breakfast or lunch. I'm asking whether this could be celiac as I do eat a lot of gluten. What seems to happen now is a constant cycle - I'll have diarrhea after a dinner, then the next few days my stools are perfectly normal, and then they gradually get softer (colour is usually lighter and they start to smell quite foul and float more) and more frequent until the next bout of diarrhea, then they're back to normal again and the cycle continues. I was wondering whether if this could be a build up of gluten over the days, that my body then flushes out? How long does gluten take to affect you? Is it possible for a build up over the course of a couple of weeks that would then cause diarrhea or is it normally an instant thing? I also get quite bad gas particularly at night. Could I have Celiac? Thank you.

Edit: I've read online that anxiety/depression is a symptom also - I have been suffering with severe anxiety for the past 8 or so months, i've been recently put on beta blockers which have helped me a great deal, so is anxiety a sign of celiac? I also get brain fog now and then also.

Your D pattern was the same as mine was for years. Until it became a daily and then a day and night occurance. Ask your doctor to run a celiac panel, including a total IGA and then when you are done with testing for celiac go ahead and give the diet a good strict try and see if that helps your problems.

thank you for the response, I was looking at foods high in gluten, and nearly all of them on the list have caused me problems!

Ravenwoodglass's answer is perfect - great advice - just wanted to add that anxiety/depression can be symptoms of Celiac Disease.

I definitely agree on the blood tests! Since it's so minimally invasive, it's a good idea to check. The flag went up when you said you're getting the brain fog, which was one of my symptoms that stood out after a while. I also had mood swings, too. So it definitely can affect the way your brain works.

My suggestion is to request a test for Celiac. However,realize the result smay not be accurate and you still may have an intolerance and the test will be negative. Personally, after the test if you can have one done, then I would go off glutens and dairy. Docs noramlly have you stay off for 2 months......I was able to tell in 3 weeks. Then choose one of the other to try first....load for 3+ days and see if you can notice anything. Then whether you notice anything or not, go off whicever one you tried first.....if no reaction try the other. If you did have a reaction wait at least 3 days before trying the other so you know which one, if any, is giving you trouble. Dairy intolerance is the most common, gluten ranks next and then high fructose (according to my gastro doc).....I have all 3!!!!

I definitely agree on the blood tests! Since it's so minimally invasive, it's a good idea to check. The flag went up when you said you're getting the brain fog, which was one of my symptoms that stood out after a while. I also had mood swings, too. So it definitely can affect the way your brain works.

The brain fog caught my eye, too. Sometimes I feel drunk after eating gluten! Get the blood tests....that would be a good place to start!