This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depressed About Hair Thinning/ Loss

yepunsarang

yepunsarang Newbie

Hello all,

I haven't posted recently due to a lot of stresses regarding internship and I just got a virus so I'm recuperating from that.

I wrote an earlier post about how to deal with the amount of hair thinning. Thought I'd suck it up and wait, eat well, continue taking my vitamins. And I was too busy to do much about it either.

My health insurance was having issues with renewal, so I was practically waiting for all that to clear up as well. It still is a mess, but I did see the doctor this past week and talked to him about my worries. He seems VERY convinced I don't have it---he only did a bloodtest, but of course i came out negative because I haven't had gluten than more than half a year.

It's making me severely depressed looking in the mirror, and I get so upset by this. No one seems to notice, because it's so gradual and of course they don't care. But I can see it so clearly---month by month, it get's visibly worse. It's no doubt about it--the texture is not so silky anymore, my hair is getting lighter from thinning, and it's getting flatter. I feel almost desperate.

I demanded the doctor take a vitamin panel bloodtest but he said that testing for Vitamin D and Bs are the only necessary ones and the other tests are just scams.. ? So I'm not getting those tests done. I have no idea what to do. At this rate, I'm afraid I'm going to become a complete obsessive person over my hair. What can I do in the meantime, while I wait or something?

I'm taking maxi-hair, omega 3, vitamin C. A lot of people suggest all sorts of things, but it gets to be kind of overwhelming and expensive purchasing all sorts of herbal things, and everything. What do you think are the absolute MUSTS to reviving your hair?

I was contemplating taking protein powder, is that a good idea? Also any words of encouragement, or happy stories of people who get their hair back, would be much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Look up silicon deficiency, it can cause hair loss. I too am having problems with hair loss and have ordered Bio Sil which you can also find info online for. Do understand the feelings of depression. It seems I get one thing taken care of with my gluten intolerance and lack of vit/mineral absorbtion and something else comes along, it has been a continuous cycle of trying to combat the symptoms. Look up Lithium online also, in small amount it can help with feelings of depression....I have some ordered.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Look up Lithium online also, in small amount it can help with feelings of depression....I have some ordered.

Hopefully this med was prescribed by a doctor as you need regular blood tests to check levels. This med is for bipolar and there may be better ones with less side effects your doctor can prescribe if your only issue is depression.

For the OP-

If you haven't been diagnosed for very long the hair loss should stop fairly soon. Make sure you are getting enough good fats and protein in your diet. It doesn't sound like your doctor knows much about celiac if he is testing you for it while you are gluten free. You may want to find a doctor who has more celiac knowledge.

I had a lot of problems with hair loss. For me it wasn't just gluten that would cause my hair to fall out but also soy. Not saying that is the case for you but thought it worth mentioning. It can take 3 months or so for hair to regrow and then it takes a bit to really be able to see the difference.

If found a product that really helps to hide the hair loss. It is available elsewhere but I got it from QVC. It is a powder and brush that you apply to hide the thinning. It stays put, doesn't run if you get caught in the rain and is easy to apply. It is by Joan Rivers Beauty and is called 'Great Hair Day'. It helped my self esteem a lot while waiting for my hair to grow back in.

Also be sure to check your hair products for gluten. Garneir makes some good products that are both soy and gluten free but there are others.

viviendoparajesus Apprentice

sounds like it could be related to your thyroid. especially if there is not a family history of baldness. the change in texture and quality reminds me of my experience. going gluten-free helped clear it up for me. however, something seems to be making my thyroid flare up again and my hair got brittle and has been coming out. i love the book why do i still have thyroid symptoms by dr kharrazian. if it is ur thyroid that is the root problem trying to address just the hair loss will be futile. i would get a through lab test looking at thyroid antibodies. the book goes over what a doctor needs to test for. it is not enough to just test tsh. i was told any thyroid antibodies is important in functional medicine and indicates some degree of attack against the thyroid.

there are different types of lithium the kind that is a prescription drug and the other is a trace mineral you can buy.

best wishes!

lynnelise Apprentice

Lithium is very toxic to your liver. I work at a mental health organization and this was a very early treatment for bipolar disorder (the mania part not the depression part) and they basically almost never use it now. If you use it your doctor has to do bloodtests monthly or sometimes weekly as it will build up in your bloodstream quick! If you get too much you will literally be functioning in slow motion. The best way to describe it would be turning into the human equivalent of Eyeore. Talking slow, walking slow, barely able to move!!! They usually have to put you in-patient until you detox!

As for hairloss, I'd ask for thyroid testing and also lupus testing. Both commonly cause hairloss.

yepunsarang Newbie

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I am looking into biosil, doesn't hurt to try does it? I think I'm going to try and be on it.

I forgot to mention, that I've taken multiple bloodtests within the past half a year and each one has come out fine.

My doctors have done all the thyroid testing, and my thyroids are fine, I got an ultrasound for PCOS ( as I heard that also causes hair loss). I believe I also got tested for lupus? The doctors are no help, as they are convinced it is nothing.

Since I am Korean and Japanese, I have grown up eating a ton of soy as well, and never had issues with it. I imagine it wouldn't make sense if I got a allergic to soy all of a sudden? That would be heartbreaking and ridiculously annoying.

I've been gluten free for about a little more than a year and I've not seen any healing at all with my hair......waiting, waiting and waiting, but no results.

Anyone else have recommendations?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I am looking into biosil, doesn't hurt to try does it? I think I'm going to try and be on it.

I forgot to mention, that I've taken multiple bloodtests within the past half a year and each one has come out fine.

My doctors have done all the thyroid testing, and my thyroids are fine, I got an ultrasound for PCOS ( as I heard that also causes hair loss). I believe I also got tested for lupus? The doctors are no help, as they are convinced it is nothing.

Since I am Korean and Japanese, I have grown up eating a ton of soy as well, and never had issues with it. I imagine it wouldn't make sense if I got a allergic to soy all of a sudden? That would be heartbreaking and ridiculously annoying.

I've been gluten free for about a little more than a year and I've not seen any healing at all with my hair......waiting, waiting and waiting, but no results.

Anyone else have recommendations?

Having eaten a ton of soy all your life doesn't mean you wouldn't develop an intolerance to it. That would be the first thing I would cut out for at least a couple of months to see if that helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I have the same problem. In my case the cause is a statin med for cholesterol. I didn't make the connection for several years. Then I was reading online about how it can raise blood sugar. I am a diabetif and my blood sugar was out of control. I stopped the med on my own. Blood sugar went down. Hair began to grow back. Dry skin, chapped lips and dry eyes ended.

But then my Dr. put me back on another statin. Just when my hair was starting to look a little better it started falling out again. I am angry. Am going to try to get off this horrible med. It isn't helping my cholesterol, IMO anyway.

In the meantime I am using Matrix products. They make a shampoo and conditioner for volume. And I have another product (gel or serum) that you put on before blow drying. I just keep forgetting to use that.

I had to get my hair cut short. It's in a bob with bangs. I also have to blow dry at least the top. That makes it look a little better.

bartfull Rising Star

Biotin is very important for hair too. My hair is spidersilk fine and very thin. I wear it up and have to stand upside down with the hair spray and fluff it up to make it look like I have hair. I SEEMS that I am not losing so much in my comb as I used to. I'm holding out hope that it will come in just a LITTLE thicker. Mom's hair was babyfine and thin (she had Celiac) and Dad was bald. Genetics may trump the diet and the biotin and everything else. At least I don't have to wear a hat all the time - yet.

yepunsarang Newbie

Thank you all for your responses... they are very helpful.

I'm wondering specifically what kinds of supplemental regimens you all are on to deal with the hair loss and thinning---or any products that have worked, or you think are essential.

Having eaten a ton of soy all your life doesn't mean you wouldn't develop an intolerance to it. That would be the first thing I would cut out for at least a couple of months to see if that helps.

This is a very sad thought. I understand, but it would be very very heartbreaking if this were the case. I read somewhere that gluten intolerance is not genetic and is very different from celiac in some ways. That in many cases, gluten can be re introduced into the died of a gluten intolerant person gradually. Is this true? I'm going to be returning to my college campus in a few weeks and I can safely monitor what does go into my diet and what doesn't. So I'll try this.

What other foods do you suggest I try cutting out? (The essentials that gluten intolerant people have trouble with?) And how do I go about testing for food allergies? Do I eliminate one thing at a time, and for how long?

I have the same problem. In my case the cause is a statin med for cholesterol. I didn't make the connection for several years. Then I was reading online about how it can raise blood sugar. I am a diabetif and my blood sugar was out of control. I stopped the med on my own. Blood sugar went down. Hair began to grow back. Dry skin, chapped lips and dry eyes ended.

But then my Dr. put me back on another statin. Just when my hair was starting to look a little better it started falling out again. I am angry. Am going to try to get off this horrible med. It isn't helping my cholesterol, IMO anyway.

In the meantime I am using Matrix products. They make a shampoo and conditioner for volume. And I have another product (gel or serum) that you put on before blow drying. I just keep forgetting to use that.

I had to get my hair cut short. It's in a bob with bangs. I also have to blow dry at least the top. That makes it look a little better.

I'm luckily not on any medication, so those wouldn't be suspects. But you mention that you use matrix shampoos. I used to use matrix's biologe in the past a lot. But stopped just because. Is biolage gluten free?

Thanks so much for all your help and comments from others would be much appreciated from as well!

Biotin is very important for hair too. My hair is spidersilk fine and very thin. I wear it up and have to stand upside down with the hair spray and fluff it up to make it look like I have hair. I SEEMS that I am not losing so much in my comb as I used to. I'm holding out hope that it will come in just a LITTLE thicker. Mom's hair was babyfine and thin (she had Celiac) and Dad was bald. Genetics may trump the diet and the biotin and everything else. At least I don't have to wear a hat all the time - yet.

NateJ Contributor

I'm not sure if my increasing baldness is from Celiac or not, but I have 4 brothers, 2 by the same Mom and none of them are balding. 2 older, 2 younger. I can say that I barley have any eyebrows left and did read somewhere that is a symptom. Can't remember where.

I'm naturally dark complected with dark hair, so the eyebrow thing looks strange, its like i only have a little towards the center. oh well, they don't really serve a purpose that I know of.

Maybe I could draw them on like I see some old ladies do! :)

Archived