CNV2855

Stomach Acid Deficiency - Is This Possible?

Rate this topic

So there's a weird phenomena that I go through that neither me or my doctors can explain. It's a shortlived cycle that lasts for a few hours after daytime meals, that usually happens after being glutened. It will continue to happen for 2-4 weeks or even months but eventually subsides the better I follow the diet.

Basically, roughly 30 minutes after eating heavy - especially in the mornings - I experience profound fatigue. Not general fatigue or malaise, but literally I could go from feeling like the energy bunny to stumbling to the nearest couch or bed and taking an unrefreshing nap, more akin to passing out, that usually lasts between 1-6 hours. This doesn't happen nearly as often in the evening, but it happens a LOT during the morning and day. The fatigue is unbearable, it feels like I'm being hit with a tranquilizer dart and I literally can't resist it. I'll start stumbling/getting dizzy and can barely keep my eyes open.

This reaction occurs relatively quickly after eating and isn't related to blood sugar (I've tested) and happens more often with a heavy protein meal instead of one with high sugar/carbs. Being that it happens so quickly, I don't think it's an issue with my intestines so much as something going on in my stomach.

So I read an article that says 46% of Celiacs have insufficient stomach acid with 26% having no detectable levels of it.

This seems logical as the feeling that I feel is like the food that I just ate is draining my body of all of the energy, almost like it's sitting there. This would also explain that meals earlier in the day increase in fatigue, as waking up my HCL levels would be lowest but have some chance to catch up during the day making the evening meals more tolerable.

Btw, I NEVER have indigestion or heartburn and food ALWAYS makes me feel more fatigued/tired and if I'm not mistaken in normal people, food is actually an energy boost.

Do any of you take HCL and have you noticed any increase in energy levels or improvements?

I haven't taken HCl, but I have what I think is a similar feeling after a high protein meal when it's animal protein. I've never been able to stomach much animal protein. Because I do have/had blood sugar troubles (with similar symptoms!) I tend to eat a lot of protein and years ago I realized I couldn't stomach animal products for a variety of reasons, from digestive sluggishness to sky high cholesterol.

Are smaller more frequent meals an option? My stomach is happiest when I eat tiny and often.

That sounds just like my reaction to soy. It's possible you have some type of intolerance or even an allergy.

That sounds just like my reaction to soy. It's possible you have some type of intolerance or even an allergy.

I was thinking the same thing, especially if you're sure it's not related to blood sugar. I get that sometimes but it's usually after eating something starchy.

I would go thru that cycle and still do sometimes. Stomach Acid levels decline with age and affect the adsorbtion of Vit B12. Has your Dr ordered the test for B12 and Folic Acid levels? Some people need injections of B12 to keep their levels up. I used sublingual 1000 mg B12, B6 and Niacin but found it disagreed with me so took the injections for a month or so then started using Betaine HCl and eating red meat and liver.

For that tired feeling I eat vegetables and a little meat for breakfast. Later on I have some cereal with a combination of 1/2 ripe banana, prunes and either apples, pears or nectarines. My next meal will be greens, 1 egg, cabbage, carrot and sometimes beets with mayonaise or vinegar. If I'm hungry in the evening I eat broccoli, string beans and another carrot. I find the food lists from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet helpful in choosing the foods I eat.

yes I agree . Sounds like my reaction to soy also.The last time I ingested any amount of soy I ended up in the ER.

I think it is normal to have digestive issues after a glutening.

Low stomach acid, high stomach bacteria, poor pancreas function, gallbladder affects or a bunch of other things might cause issues. The treatment is a strict gluten-free diet. I have taken and still do take Betaine HCL sometimes. If you have low stomach acid it might help to kill off bacteria in the stomach. But the most important thing is to not eat gluten.