Monklady123

Best Pasta For A Baked Pasta Dish?

Rate this topic

What pasta is the best for a baked pasta dish? I just made a mock lasagna using Boles corn pasta. Um, no. :ph34r: The pasta got mushy. I'll end up eating the chewy baked cheese off the top and throwing the rest away.

Can anyone recommend one that works better?

Brown rice pasta seems to be the sturdiest, and Tinkyada is the best easily available brand. But don't cook it as long as they tell you - start with half the time it calls for, and then check every minute. It takes very little time for rice pasta to overcook. It's also best to rinse it when you're done because it gives off a lot of starch and will stick together, which would be okay in a casserole. Tinkyada elbows make great mac and cheese, but only cook them 12 minutes. Their lasagna also works well, and both of these freeze well.

• Upvote 1

Tinkyada works well but don't precook it. Put it in a colander and just rinse it with water. As long as the sauce covers the noodles they will cook as it bakes. Don't over bake and don't add too much liquid or it will be mushy. Tinkyada is the best I have found for standing up to the mush factor and also tastes good the next day reheated--unlike corn pasta which I like the first day but can't eat as leftovers becuase it has an off taste.

I used Trader Joe's rice pasta ( I think brown rice) for mac and cheese in the oven and no one knew the difference.

Thanks everyone. I have eaten the rice pasta but have never baked with it. I picked up a box of this corn pasta when I was out of town recently because I hadn't seen it here at home. Big mistake. ick. I'll try the rice kind next time.

BiAglut cooked ala dente...