beebs

How Long For A Gluten Reaction

Rate this topic

My 2 year old son has been gluten free since Jan. He had a biopsy that did not give us a diag of celiac disease but that was considered border line. His Paed GI suggested going gluten free as we had exhuasted all other avenunes of testing etc.

He went gluten free but also started nexium at the same time - his improvement was immediate. He vomitted every day of his life until then. Anyhow - the other day he got a big glutening. We were at a birthday party. I have 4 kids and I took my eyes of him for 2 seconds and the next thing I know he is guzzling down the birthday cake!

Every thing seamt fine but then the next day he spewed twice. Not massive just two fairly smalish ones.

Can it take that long for a reaction to gluten?

Thanks in advance!

I react in 25 minutes and could practically set a clock by that. It is very consistent.

Gluten reactions can be delayed by up to a week. Some folks notice symptoms right away but others have a delay. I am of the 3 days till symptoms hit group. So yes gluten injested one day may hit the person the next. Hope your little one feels better soon.

Okay - thanks so much!

I'm still not sure its celiac...and if it is I suspect there is something else going on as well. He is very lactose intolerant and has been since he was born and I thought if he went gluten-free the lactose intolerance would resolve - but it hasn't and now that he is gluten and lactose free he still has foul stettorhea and complete undigested meals in his stool - oily and mucousy as well, vitamin and mineral deficiencies the whole bit. So frustrating. But as I said he used to throw up every single day and now hardly ever. So something seems to be working wether its the gluten-free diet or the nexium....hmmm

The reason I asked is because my symptoms happen within 30 minutes :)

He may very well have other intolerances. Most common is casein. It also takes a while to heal from gluten.

Don't split hairs over the diagnosis. If he's better without gluten he's better - don't argue with success.

I'd try taking him off milk next since it's the most common.

• Upvote 1

He may very well have other intolerances. Most common is casein. It also takes a while to heal from gluten.

Don't split hairs over the diagnosis. If he's better without gluten he's better - don't argue with success.

I'd try taking him off milk next since it's the most common.

Okay - so casein is in lactose free milk as well? Should I try him on soy maybe or rice milk or something?

Okay - so casein is in lactose free milk as well? Should I try him on soy maybe or rice milk or something?

Do try a rice milk but NOT Rice Dream. Wegmans has a good rice milk if you have one near you. There are also almond milks and hemp milk (which is a good source of protein) I would hold off on soy milk for now.

Why not Rice Dream? That's exactly what I bought myself last week... :o

Because it is processed with barley. The list of folks that have reacted to it is a long one.