This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Feel So, So Sick :(

Twinklestars

Twinklestars Contributor

I quite happily sailed into a gluten free diet 4 days ago thinking if it would make me better then anything is better than being sick! I think I've been doing okay with it. I've been eating mainly whole foods with lots of fruit and veg. I'm keeping things very plain which I've heard is a good thing.

So why do I now feel worse than before? I'm having extreme nausea from the time I wake up until I go to bed. I feel achy with chills, like I've got the flu. My stomach is more upset than it's been for a long time.

I had these symptoms when I was on gluten but they came and went. This is ALL THE TIME! :angry:

I'm not even eating much because I feel so unwell :(

Please tell me this is normal and it will pass!

And I'm meant to be going to Zumba tonight with my best friend, but I'm not sure if I'll be well enough to go. It's our one night of the week to go and do something without children or husbands - just us. I'm so upset I may have to miss it :( I know it's a small thing in the scheme of things, but I just wanted to feel better. Not worse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Are you also off dairy?

Twinklestars Contributor

No...but I only have a little bit of my milk in my one cup of coffee in the morning and that's it for dairy.

Do I have to give that up? :( Could I still have lactose free milk? Or is it the cows milk protein I could be reacting to?

beebs Enthusiast

Sometimes with coeliac because the villi are damaged you can develop lactose intolerance. There also seem to be a fair amount of coeliacs who can't tolerate any dairy and things like nightshades and corn etc - it is never ending. Also - some people have like a gluten withdrawal where they feel worse for a while until they feel better. :blink: Its a mindfield!! I hope you start to feel better soon!

AVR1962 Collaborator

No...but I only have a little bit of my milk in my one cup of coffee in the morning and that's it for dairy.

Do I have to give that up? :( Could I still have lactose free milk? Or is it the cows milk protein I could be reacting to?

You may want to try going off dairy until your system has a chance to heal itself. Dairy can be real hard on your stomach and if you are new to the gluten-free diet you will find that many sensitivites may follow, dairy is common. You can try dairy free butter, cheeses and even soy, almond, or coconut milk.

I did this for 2 months when I first started, recommended by my gastro. Then I slowly started adding dairy back in my diet to see what, if anything, was giving me issues. It's a thought to try.

glutentheintolerant Rookie

I had some yoghurt yesterday night and it was answered by a prompt toilet visit when I got up this morning and strolled around a bit.

I had even more trouble digesting lactose at the start of my diet (7-8 months ago). I'd have pass very large stool twice a day.

Now it's gotten better but I still get cramps and will be forced to pay the toilet a visit if I've eaten 'heavy' lactose products such as egg-salad, yoghurt and rice porridge. Cheese isn't all that bad.

Some of the symptoms I have when I eat too much dairy looks a lot like when I'd eat gluten but more mild.

Still, a little bit of milk wouldn't do for me what you describe. Did you perhaps get contaminated by something with gluten?

Used an old frying pan perhaps?

Twinklestars Contributor

Well, it's official. I am an idiot. I may have just 'a little bit' of milk in my coffee, but I also have been eating HALF A BLOCK OF CHOCOLATE EVERY NIGHT! :ph34r: Because, you know, it's gluten free! Geez, you'd never think I was completely dairy free for a year and a half, would you?

So that's likely to be my problem then.

And yep, I also think cross contamination could be an issue too. My home isn't gluten free yet.

This is so much harder than I thought :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutentheintolerant Rookie

Better get started on that food diary. ;)

You should get whomever you're living with to understand that it's very easy to contaminate gluten-free foods.

Even a few breadcrumbs might be enough to trigger a reaction.

You should probably get your own set of pans and your own storage space. Don't prepare meat in a pan that was previously used to prepare gluten-rich meat (or other foodstuffs.)

cook foodstuffs in oil, not butter. It's usually healthier and tastier any way.

I eat milk-free and gluten-free chocolate. Might be a bit difficult to find, though.

Twinklestars Contributor

Yes. The food diary :rolleyes: It will be starting from breakfast tomorrow.

I haven't fully explained to my husband about cross contamination etc. I was going to wait and see what my test results are. I probably should chat to him sooner though. He knows I have to be gluten free but probably doesn't know exactly what it involves. I'm still figuring it out! He's very supportive though, he checks I've read labels and keeps asking me whether what I'm eating has gluten, lol! :lol:

MitziG Enthusiast

Yep, you"re normal. Ish. Not everyone has a gluten-detox, but alot do. My daughter didnt HAVE stomach trouble till she went gluten free- then she had weeks of nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, chills, fevers and skin rashes. Hang in there!

lucia Enthusiast

I had to withdraw from gluten too, like many others. I felt like a heroin addict. I had sweats so bad that my face was drenched, then chills that made me take to wrapping myself up in a mountain-weight sleeping bag and still feeling cold. I didn't go out of the house at all for a few days. It was awful. There is an end.

Twinklestars Contributor

Thankyou MitziG and lucia xxx It's also nice to know maybe some of what I'm feeling has been experienced by others.

cougie23 Explorer

How are you with almonds? nut allergies? if not try "ALMOND BREEZE/vanilla in your coffee! and with Honey corn chex!!! the corn chex is gluten free and the almond milk has no gluten/caesin/or lactose!!! I found out I was not only gluten intolerant ,but caesin intolerant as well!now that I'm eleminating dairy and gluten...just the slightest dairy is even WORSE than Gluten (and the glutens just more devious!!!) My dr. said no Dairy on a glutun free diet because there is lots of hidden glutens in dairy(yougert and cheeses for example)!!! also alot of celiacs have some form of dairy intolerance as well and alot of people think "lactose" but forget the caesin! :unsure::) I've also been told by afew people here that you can kinda go through gluten withdrawls and/or become super sensitive once you try to stop the bad stuff!!some poeple enen find that its more than 1 or 2 things...you can just go on forever about this....but my throat hurts real bad and I feel like CRAP!!! I'm going back to bed! no...first I need to make my familys dinner...then I'm going to bed...night everybody! :(:huh::D

cougie23 Explorer

Yep, you"re normal. Ish. Not everyone has a gluten-detox, but alot do. My daughter didnt HAVE stomach trouble till she went gluten free- then she had weeks of nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, chills, fevers and skin rashes. Hang in there!

Don't forget the feeling like bee stingers and open sores from your throat ..past your stomache and all the way down the alaskin pipeline so to speak!!! not to mentoin throwing up even the stuff that is 100% safe just because your stomaches so tired iy doesn't want nothin!! The only thing I could eat at first was LARA BARS and trader joes butternut soup!But thats just me!!LOL...or is it?! ;)

This time i'm really going!! SUPERMOM TIME LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cougie23 Explorer

Better get started on that food diary. ;)

You should get whomever you're living with to understand that it's very easy to contaminate gluten-free foods.

Even a few breadcrumbs might be enough to trigger a reaction.

You should probably get your own set of pans and your own storage space. Don't prepare meat in a pan that was previously used to prepare gluten-rich meat (or other foodstuffs.)

cook foodstuffs in oil, not butter. It's usually healthier and tastier any way.

I eat milk-free and gluten-free chocolate. Might be a bit difficult to find, though.

Try trader joes or Wholefoods (or you states counter part) and don't forget about all the gluten hidden in shampoos..toothpaste mouthwash...ect.!!just google any thing questionable( is________glutenfree) you'd be suprised at all the answers..also you'll find alot of old threads to celiac.com forum! night guys...really :rolleyes:

Twinklestars Contributor

Thanks for your responses Cougie :D I'm in Australia, and we don't have Almond Breeze and Chex here (I don't think). But we do have other brands of almond milk, so I'll give it a try. I found a gluten free muesli which I bought, but I'm not really hungry so I'm trying to just stick to plain foods at the moment. I just roasted (baked) a sweet potato (yam?) for lunch, and I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Since giving up gluten, I'm appreciating simple foods and have very little desire for anything complex. It's very weird.

Well, good news! I'm not nauseous today! I don't have a great deal of energy, but I'm definitely a bit better :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for your responses Cougie :D I'm in Australia, and we don't have Almond Breeze and Chex here (I don't think). But we do have other brands of almond milk, so I'll give it a try. I found a gluten free muesli which I bought, but I'm not really hungry so I'm trying to just stick to plain foods at the moment. I just roasted (baked) a sweet potato (yam?) for lunch, and I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Since giving up gluten, I'm appreciating simple foods and have very little desire for anything complex. It's very weird.

Well, good news! I'm not nauseous today! I don't have a great deal of energy, but I'm definitely a bit better :)

Glad to hear your feeling better. Sweet potatos make good baked fries also. Do check the muesli and make sure it doesn't have oats. If it does it would be a good idea to hold off on it for a bit as not all of us tolerate even certified gluten free oats. The energy will come in time.

cougie23 Explorer

I like slicing my yams(more orange and sweeter than sweet potatoes) and cooking them in boiling water till thier soft..I do the same with my carrots and brocolli in another pot. after I drain them and set them aside...I take a frying pan and some "earth balance" and a little olive oil (I heard recently that cocunut oil is better...higher heating point) and I saute some baby portabellos,slices japanese eggplant (its smaller,longer and not as harsh as the larger american variety...also sweeter), and some golden raisins (sometimes garlic if I can stomache it)....when the mushrooms and eggplant are ready...i throw in the brocoli,carrots and yamss...a little more olive oil and saute lightly for a few more minutes! Very yummy!!! you can use as a side dish or throw in some meat..we eat this alot! :D

Twinklestars Contributor

Thanks Raven :) I'm not sure whether it has oats, so will check that out.

Cougie, that sounds really yummy! I think it might be my dinner tonight!

I have ditched dairy altogether now. My stomach is still cramping up a bit so I think I'll strip my diet down to just a few foods for the time being. So I'm sitting here with rice milk in my coffee. It's a bit salty so I'm not sure I enjoy it! :lol: I tried almond milk and I really don't like it, and am trying to avoid soy as much as possible. But I know I prefer soy in my coffee, so maybe I'll use rice milk for my cereal and a dash of soy in my coffee?

I need to look at the recipe section too. I don't want to cook 2 separate meals at the end of the day, but I don't want to subject my lovely family to rice, meat and veggies every night! So I need some ideas on that front I think.

cougie23 Explorer

I have ditched dairy altogether now. My stomach is still cramping up a bit so I think I'll strip my diet down to just a few foods for the time being. So I'm sitting here with rice milk in my coffee. It's a bit salty so I'm not sure I enjoy it! :lol: I tried almond milk and I really don't like it, and am trying to avoid soy as much as possible. But I know I prefer soy in my coffee, so maybe I'll use rice milk for my cereal and a dash of soy in my coffee?

I need to look at the recipe section too. I don't want to cook 2 separate meals at the end of the day, but I don't want to subject my lovely family to rice, meat and veggies every night! So I need some ideas on that front I think.

not rice dream I hope? look carefully at the ingreadients...Dairy free is CAESIN free too!!! alot of poeple THINK thier lactose intolerant (like I did)...but really its the CASEIN they're sensitive to!I heard RICR DREAM isn't entierly safe for intolerants...but I don't remember why exactly!? I think it was because it claimed one thing but really wasn't! :unsure::D

cougie23 Explorer

ALMOND BREEZE isn't like other almond milks...no soy! just almonds and water! and the vanilla tastes like wafflecones and vanilla icecream!!! :rolleyes::D With alittle honey(grate for healing all sorts of things - google Honey for healing)and a little almond breeze in my coffee i'm set!!! :D

Also watch your tea bags....unless its stapled..its sealed with gluten!stamps and envolopes also-gluton!!!! :blink: Like i've said before...MY GOD!!! IT'S IN EVERYTHING!!!! :blink: so ya better watch out!!!! :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you ever tried hemp milk? I like the chocolate and it is nice and thick although I haven't tried it might be good in coffee if you like chocolate.

Twinklestars Contributor

I have never even seen hemp milk! I might have to google that one to see if we get it here :)

Cougie, gluten in tea bags? Seriously? :huh: Good grief!

I am also googling almond breeze to see whether I can get it here too. Everyone on this forum seems to think it's great!

Thankyou for the suggestions, they're very much appreciated.

cougie23 Explorer

I have never even seen hemp milk! I might have to google that one to see if we get it here :)

Cougie, gluten in tea bags? Seriously? :huh: Good grief!

I am also googling almond breeze to see whether I can get it here too. Everyone on this forum seems to think it's great!

Thankyou for the suggestions, they're very much appreciated.

Yeah...you should have seen the look on my face when I found out!!! :blink:

the tea companies only list the ingredients in the tea...not the stuff they use to seal it! use free leafs or stapled only111 :D

cougie23 Explorer

Speaking of food...anoyher thing I've been doing lately (when I don't feel like eating what I made for everyone else...is to take sliced apples ,peaches and golden raisins and poach them in a little water,honey and cinimon till thier soft and slightly carmelized.... :P talk about comfort food!!! :D:)

Archived