glutenfreemamax2

Scared..oppinions?

Rate this topic

I had been gluten free since October or 2010. I felt great. Lost weight, was able to go to the bathroom like a "normal" person, (first time in almost all my life) my skin cleared up, I got off all my anxiety meds, ect. I got pregnant in December of 2010, and I was able to maintain gluten-free until the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy. Then I started eating everything I felt so deprived of...donuts, spagetti, sandwhiches, you name it, I ate it. And not just a little. I went through the deliver (c-section) and recovery non gluten-free. I kept thinking, this is great. I must be "over" the gluten issue.

Then my husband watched the episode of Dr.Oz that he did about the gluten. Now he's convinced I don't have a problem at all; but all my sysmptoms are slowly returning. Now my stool is black. I'm constipated as ever (I never had the D, always the C) and I'm bloated, cranky, irritable, etc. I was able to stay gluten-free yesterday, but today I screwed it up.I don't know if I should go get lab work done again, or if I should just call myself Celiac, even though I will not have the backing of my husband and family.

The baby is having allergies to something I am eating, and I'm wondering if it's gluten as well. All of my kids have had food allergies. Some worse than others. Can anyone shead some light on the whole situation for me? I'm ready to cry.

If you have been back on gluten for at least 3 months go ahead and get tested. Personally I wouldn't even tell my husband I am getting tested because if you have a false negative then it will be even harder to get him to understand why you want to be gluten free. The black stool also has me concerned as that can be a sign that you are bleeding. Get to the doctor to get things checked out and after testing no matter what the results if the diet helped go back to being gluten free. Some folks can have a period of time when they go back to gluten when they are symptom free, doctors call that a 'honeymoon' period and it is common with children who were diagnosed young and then go off the diet in their teen years. It is the reason doctors used to think children would outgrow celiac.

Also would an official diagnosis help you stick to the diet better? Or would you keep falling off the wagon if you didn't really know? I'd get tested as well.

I think there are some temporary immune system changes that happen during pregnancy. That might explain your not having symptoms while pregnant. Your doctor would probably have an idea about that possibility. Seems like I read a similar post on that a while back where the woman had reduced or no symptoms during pregnancy but then they resumed after the birth.

• Upvote 1

Have you had your thyroid checked?

I'm thinking specifically for Hashimoto's?

It might be a good idea.