This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

New To Rice

zoogirl

zoogirl Rookie

I grew up in a strictly meat-n-potatoes family and have only made rice myself once or twice but it seems like a lot of gluten free recipes use it to replace pasta (which I'm still mourning, btw - I know there are gluten-free brands and they're pretty good, but just not quite the same... especially w/o the cream sauce! lol!). So, 2 questions - what do you like to do with it other than just having it plain and can I make a lot of it and refrigerate &/or freeze some to use ther rest of the week?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I grew up in a strictly meat-n-potatoes family and have only made rice myself once or twice but it seems like a lot of gluten free recipes use it to replace pasta (which I'm still mourning, btw - I know there are gluten-free brands and they're pretty good, but just not quite the same... especially w/o the cream sauce! lol!). So, 2 questions - what do you like to do with it other than just having it plain and can I make a lot of it and refrigerate &/or freeze some to use ther rest of the week?

Chicken and rice casserole

Wild rice or blended rice

Rice pudding - yummy

White rice served with scrambled eggs

Rice biscuits

Gumbo

Shrimp scampi over rice

Summer rice salad

Rice, bean, corn and onions

Hoppin' John

Fried Rice

....just a few off the top of my head.

Open Original Shared Link

(not all are gluten free by can be easily adapted)

I never tried to freeze rice, because it's so easily made.

Mizzo Enthusiast

start simple buy a plain white rice mix.

I use chicken broth or herb-ox boulilon in water as the liquid.

I spice it a little with some seasoning salt or garlic.

or add a little La Choy terryaki to the water

or lemon zest

I look forward to seeing all the other suggestions people post

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I only use Basmati rice.

But it freezes very well in individual ziplock bags.

I leave a few baggies of rice in the fridge for my son to grab and microwave as needed.

I usually have a pot of meat or chicken stew made with Shan Spices...like Biryani but there are about a hundred of them. Read the igredients list....a very few will contain wheat...of course I don't buy those.

Follow the directions on the package for making the food.

My son eats variations of this every day...and never gets tired of it.

I was too sick with Celiac to be very creative in the kitchen...so when I found the Shan spice mixes...all I needed was meat and vegetables and we are set.

These stews also freeze well in individual ziplock bags...

I try to cook only on the weekends...it works pretty well.

shadowicewolf Proficient

you can still have alfredo sauces and the like, just gotta be sure they don't have flour in them (Ragu is a good brand, i've had good luck with them).

Honestly, when i eat rice, i prefer it to be plain with maybe a little salt, depending on how i feel.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Okay, this may appeal to you. Refrigerates, freezes well.

Quick Dirty Rice

Cook 1 cup raw rice in a rice cooker, pot, etc.

Chop up 1 onion, 3-4 sticks if celery, 1/2to 1 bell pepper depending on size.

Heat skillet. Brown 1 lb. Ground beef (add a few finely chopped chicken livers if you want a richer mix). Add chopped veggies and 1 dry or fresh bay leaf. Cover and cook til veggies are wilted on low heat. Add rice, mix well, season with salt and pepper. Cook covered another 15 minutes or so on very low heat - don't scorch it. I add 1tsp. Thyme and a touch of cayenne but you can leave it out.

Voila, easy dirty rice. Naturally gluten-free and yummy yummy yummy.

Oh, and you can buy alternative pasta. I like the quinoa/corn one. Brown rice pasta is evidently better for baked pasta dishes.

1/2 c milk, 1/2 c butter melted and heated - add grated parmesan and cook to desired thickness. Great white sauce.

1can chopped tomato or equal fresh added to warm olive oil, chopped garlic. Simmer til flavors blend. Season with salt, pepper. Add herbs - Rosemary, oregano, basil. For a new twist dump in 1 can of anchovies - I promise it isn't fishy just rich.

Buy a Mark Bittman book!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I buy different kinds of rice. Most recently I got some with veggies mixed in. It's this brand:

They also have one with mushrooms in it.

I buy their Texmati rice and make Spanish rice out of it. I don't have an actual recipe. I just use what I have in the house and it is never the same way twice.

If I am putting meat in it, I cook that first. I usually use ground beef but my daughter likes chicken. The chicken should be cut into bite sized pieces. Cook the meat in a little olive oil until almost cooked through. Note that I use really lean ground beef. If you are using a fattier meat you wouldn't need to add the olive oil. You can also use bacon cut in bits. I also cook some veggies with the meat. Usually green pepper but I will add any other colors of pepper that I have in the house. And a goodly amount of onion. Sometimes I will use green onion if that's all I have. The vegetables should be chopped.

Add your rice. I use about a handful per person or less if I want to lower the carb count. Cook and stir it just until it begins to brown.

You then need to add your liquid. I always add tomatoes in some form. Chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, juice, paste or even salsa. Whatever I have in the house. I prefer salsa in this but don't always have it. I then add some additional liquid. Chicken broth adds a rich flavor but you can use beef broth if you have it or even water.

Then the seasonings. Salt of course. Chili powder. And if I have it, some canned chilies or dried jalapeno for extra kick.

I don't really measure anything. I just use about twice as much liquid as I do rice. Better to add a little more than less because you can always cook it down.

Cook for about 20 minutes then test to see if the rice is cooked through. Cook for a few minutes more if it is not. You'll need to bring it to a boil, cook for a minute then turn down the heat and start timing. I keep it on a very low heat. I do this with a covered pot. If there is too much liquid, just cook for a few more minutes then let sit until the liquid is absorbed. Maybe another 5 to 10 minutes.

After it is cooked through I will sometimes add some canned corn and/or beans. I make this dish very often.

----

Rice balls were a popular dish in NY. I used to get them at pizza places. I haven't made them now that I know of my egg allergy. Not sure they would work without the eggs. Here's a recipe. You would of course have to use gluten-free bread crumbs which you can buy or just save any stale bread that you have in the freezer then when you have enough, you can lightly toast it in the oven to dry it out then crumble it into crumbs which you can also store in the freezer.

----

You can also make porcupine meatballs. Here's a recipe for those:

----

Rice pudding:

Rice salad:

sa1937 Community Regular

You might also want to check this thread on 100+ Ways To Make Rice

Skylark Collaborator

Nobody has mentioned risotto! If you like creamy stuff and don't mind spending a little time stirring you'll love risotto.

Jambalaya is really good and pretty easy to make. Here's Emeril's recipe.

And of course you can always make a paella.

Yes, cooked rice keeps in the refrigerator for a few days and it also freezes well. You'll probably want a rice cooker too. Get one with a timer for extra convenience.

Emeril's recipes will probably be a bit spicy if you are used to a plain diet. His "bam" is very distinct.

Google "Cajun recipes" and you'll fond quite a few recipes that probably don't add a Cajun seasoning, just salt, pepper, perhaps a touch of cayenne. Newsflash - real Cajuns don't cook like Emeril. It isn't about the bam, it's about good seasoned food mainly seasoned with salt, pepper, veggies, a touch of cayenne and perhaps thyme and almost always a bay leaf. The main seasoning in mist jambalaya is usually good smoked sausage.

And as always, the best recipe is the one your Mama makes.

Skylark Collaborator

Google "Cajun recipes" and you'll fond quite a few recipes that probably don't add a Cajun seasoning, just salt, pepper, perhaps a touch of cayenne. Newsflash - real Cajuns don't cook like Emeril. It isn't about the bam, it's about good seasoned food mainly seasoned with salt, pepper, veggies, a touch of cayenne and perhaps thyme and almost always a bay leaf. The main seasoning in mist jambalaya is usually good smoked sausage.

I don't know what "real cajuns" you hang out with but I've had devastatingly hot jambalaya in New Orleans. Paul Prudhomme's jambalaya is spicy too.

The mild rice dishes I've gotten in New Orleans were usually called dirty rice, which is also really good.

I don't know what "real cajuns" you hang out with but I've had devastatingly hot jambalaya in New Orleans. Paul Prudhomme's jambalaya is spicy too.

The mild rice dishes I've gotten in New Orleans were usually called dirty rice, which is also really good.

I hang out with my family :).

Yes, Paul Pruhomme (love his books) does make some searingly hot stuff. He is a genuine Coonie but his restaurant cooking doesn't always reflect that. He's nouveau Cajun on his intensity??? He's old-school on his prep and methods.

If you get out of NOLA, into the Cajun areas - Lafayette, Lake Charles, etc.. and eat at someone's house you will find very different food. Restaurant Cajun is not what's served at home. Sure, everyone has a few recipes that can blow your head off, but that's not what it's about.

Skylark Collaborator

I hang out with my family :).

Yes, Paul Pruhomme (love his books) does make some searingly hot stuff. He is a genuine Coonie but his restaurant cooking doesn't always reflect that. He's nouveau Cajun on his intensity??? He's old-school on his prep and methods.

If you get out of NOLA, into the Cajun areas - Lafayette, Lake Charles, etc.. and eat at someone's house you will find very different food. Restaurant Cajun is not what's served at home. Sure, everyone has a few recipes that can blow your head off, but that's not what it's about.

Ah, interesting to know. :) I've been to NOLA a few times for conferences, but always staying in hotels and eating restaurant food. I've been to K-Paul's a couple times and the food was sooooo good.

Would you be kind enough to share a family recipe or two? It would be fun to get a different spin on cajun cooking, though finding real andouille sausage in California may be tricky.

You bet. The recipe for dirty rice is good example, above. Most of my family would add pork and livers/gizzards but I'm too lazy unless it's a holiday.

Also, y'all may like this one for calas. It's really NOLA, but I love them. This is a yeast recipe And uses flour- but there are quick recipes with flour and leavining that may be harder/easier to convert. I haven't tried yet.

That website is an excellent NOLA recipe resource Btw.

Skylark Collaborator

Ooooohhhh! Thanks! Those calas look wonderful. Next weekend. B) The shrimp etouffee recipe on the blog looks really good too. Sadly I don't think I can get crawfish around here. If I do find them they'll cost an arm and a leg.

I might give your dirty rice a go this evening. I love chicken livers so they'll be in mine for sure.

And Aidelle's is an excellent, gluten-free andouille sausage.

You don't need crawfish for etoufee. Make it with shrimp or even chicken. But crawfish is devine. Be careful of Chinese crawfish. They are terrible and a highly contaminated/toxic food. You can order LA frozen tails. Whole Foods used to carry them nut I can't find them there now. Trader Joe's langostino tails are nice too, half n half with shrimp or crawfish - just don't overcook.

love2travel Mentor

Another fabulous use for rice is risotto - hundreds and hundreds of recipes. Make sure to use carnaroli or arborio rice for best results. Make arancini out of any leftovers.

Archived