This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Halloween

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter and I just put up most of our decorations. We have some battery operated things that need new batteries. Those will not go out until Halloween night. Also have some lights that are little pumpkins and ghosts. We will wait to put those up because we need to run an extension cord across the yard. We have a gardener who comes to mow and do other things every two weeks. We can safely put those out on the 21st.

In the meantime we put up white spider webs all over the bushes and trees in the front yard. Daughter wanted purple. Do they make purple? Neighbors have orange and she is envious. We only saw glow in the dark and black as other options. Because it will be dark we didn't think the black would show. And we did the glow in the dark one year. Because we put up lights, it doesn't glow. It just doesn't look right. Google Earth came by and took a pic of our house all decorated for Halloween one year. Thanks Google Earth! Now everyone will think we have a haunted house!

We have some giant spiders in assorted sizes and colors that are in the trees lining the sidewalk. The cherry tree near the house has some sparkly garland draped around it. A bush near the house has sparkly spiders. There is a silver and purple web on the outside of the house near the front door. Another bush has bats hanging from it.

And on the porch we have a black cat, some spiders and a bat. All black sparkly.

We'll be giving out all fruit, Fruit Rollups this year. No candy. Daughter is on a low carb diet. She won't be going out because she can't eat the candy. Now what to do about the kitties. Unlike our old cat they are not afraid of the doorbell or people. They'll probably have to go in the bedroom. And I know they won't like that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Harpgirl Explorer

We go the non-haunting route for halloween. We have some fall decorations up, but this year, I've made my 3-yr-old's costume for the first time. I crocheted him a green hooded sweater and put contrasting green spikes on it to make him look like a dinosaur. Then I crocheted him a similar tail and stuffed it so it sticks out and it ties around his waist. He loves it! If it were cooler here, I've no doubt that he would wear it all the time. It's cool-er, but still in the mid to upper 80s, so he wears it for up to 20 minutes the takes it off. :P

I tried to turn on some Halloween kid shows for him. He loves Little Einstiens, but when I turned on the Halloween special of it, he started to cry part of the way through! :rolleyes:

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'll be hiding inside with all the lights out, hoping no one rings our bell. :ph34r:

I don't celebrate halloween, but I do celebrate fall and have some autumn colored decorations as well as all the yummy produce that is in season--pumpkins and other winter squash, apples, pomegrantes etc. :)

Juliebove Rising Star

We go the non-haunting route for halloween. We have some fall decorations up, but this year, I've made my 3-yr-old's costume for the first time. I crocheted him a green hooded sweater and put contrasting green spikes on it to make him look like a dinosaur. Then I crocheted him a similar tail and stuffed it so it sticks out and it ties around his waist. He loves it! If it were cooler here, I've no doubt that he would wear it all the time. It's cool-er, but still in the mid to upper 80s, so he wears it for up to 20 minutes the takes it off. :P

I tried to turn on some Halloween kid shows for him. He loves Little Einstiens, but when I turned on the Halloween special of it, he started to cry part of the way through! :rolleyes:

Yeah, when my daughter was younger I made sure not to put up any scary stuff. But now that she's 13, she wants it to look scary!

Juliebove Rising Star

I'll be hiding inside with all the lights out, hoping no one rings our bell. :ph34r:

I don't celebrate halloween, but I do celebrate fall and have some autumn colored decorations as well as all the yummy produce that is in season--pumpkins and other winter squash, apples, pomegrantes etc. :)

Our lights don't go off. They are on a sensor so they come on when it is dark.

bartfull Rising Star

I'll be closing the shop a little early so I don't have to dodge the little monsters on the way home. Then I'll go into my "sanctuary" with the cat and a good book. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I keep the back bedroom empty of anything but a table and chair. Peaceful in there. And it's at the back of the house so no one will even be able to see that there's a light on.

I used to love to get dressed up and meet the kids at the door. But now that I live in a neighborhood, there are literally HUNDREDS of kids that come knocking. Quite frankly, I can't afford to buy candy for all of the kids in town.

Juliebove Rising Star

I'll be closing the shop a little early so I don't have to dodge the little monsters on the way home. Then I'll go into my "sanctuary" with the cat and a good book. I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I keep the back bedroom empty of anything but a table and chair. Peaceful in there. And it's at the back of the house so no one will even be able to see that there's a light on.

I used to love to get dressed up and meet the kids at the door. But now that I live in a neighborhood, there are literally HUNDREDS of kids that come knocking. Quite frankly, I can't afford to buy candy for all of the kids in town.

Yeah. I have lived in places like that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

I got a pumpkin that we stuck Winnie the Pooh things in and my oldest will carve pumpkins with my sister while I make caramel apples this weekend. Also I'll be taking my daughters trick or treating on Halloween (they are both being cowgirls this year) and then they will give whatever they get away, probably to kids on my daughter's soccer team, in return they will get homemade pumpkin shaped cookies and a small toy.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

We've got all the scary decorations. For my 6yo, the scarrier the better! There's a lifesize corpse inside of a cage that hangs from our front porch, courtesy of him. Therefore, we don't get many kids under 5 that will walk up to our door ;)

We trick-or-treat in a small neighborhood with all my dd's friends and all their parents, spiked cocoa in hand. Once we get home, we separate the candy, they have 15 min to eat whatever they want and then the next day we take the rest to or dentist who buys it back for 1$/pound and then sends it all overseas to the troops!

Roda Rising Star

We are having a halloween party on Oct. 22nd. My youngest son sent out invitations to his class. So I hope we have a good turn out. We will be decorated out for that and will leave it up till Halloween. We usually trick or treat on our road and the neighborhood behind us. We also love to give out candy. Daddy will probably eat the things the boys can't, and I will either exchange what they can't eat or give them money. I think they will take the money! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
GFreeMO Proficient

I'm the exact same way. :)

bartfull Rising Star

I give guitar lessons after I close the shop at six. For three Mondays in a row, my new student's parents didn't come to pick him up until at least a half hour after the lesson ended. Last week when the mother finally showed up 45 minutes late I went to the car and told her that she needs to be here on time. I told her I was supposed to be somewhere half an hour ago.

The kid is nice and he's doing well, but the mother seems really low class. So, THIS Monday they never showed up at all. No phone call either.

So, here's my question: I always leave a bit early on Halloween so I get home before dark. I was prepared to tell the kid there would be no lesson next week. Now, by rights, I should probably just go home without calling THEM. Of course, that's no way to run a business, so of course I WILL call. But it's so tempting to do to them what they did to me. I have a feeling that the mother decided that since she no longer has a free babysitter in me, she's not going to let her son take lessons anymore. It's too bad, because the little boy is so nice.

Yeah, so I just answered my own question. For the kid's sake, I'll call. But let me tell you, if it was the MOTHER taking lessons, not only would I go home without calling, but I would schedule someone else in her place so if she DID show up, she'd be out of luck.

Thanks for letting me vent. I still don't do Halloween. I'm still sitting in the back bedroom. Let these people buy their own kids candy. I'm not doing it. Yeah, I don't feel good today so I'm grumpy as can be. Can you tell? :angry::blink::lol:

Juliebove Rising Star

I give guitar lessons after I close the shop at six. For three Mondays in a row, my new student's parents didn't come to pick him up until at least a half hour after the lesson ended. Last week when the mother finally showed up 45 minutes late I went to the car and told her that she needs to be here on time. I told her I was supposed to be somewhere half an hour ago.

The kid is nice and he's doing well, but the mother seems really low class. So, THIS Monday they never showed up at all. No phone call either.

So, here's my question: I always leave a bit early on Halloween so I get home before dark. I was prepared to tell the kid there would be no lesson next week. Now, by rights, I should probably just go home without calling THEM. Of course, that's no way to run a business, so of course I WILL call. But it's so tempting to do to them what they did to me. I have a feeling that the mother decided that since she no longer has a free babysitter in me, she's not going to let her son take lessons anymore. It's too bad, because the little boy is so nice.

Yeah, so I just answered my own question. For the kid's sake, I'll call. But let me tell you, if it was the MOTHER taking lessons, not only would I go home without calling, but I would schedule someone else in her place so if she DID show up, she'd be out of luck.

Thanks for letting me vent. I still don't do Halloween. I'm still sitting in the back bedroom. Let these people buy their own kids candy. I'm not doing it. Yeah, I don't feel good today so I'm grumpy as can be. Can you tell? :angry::blink::lol:

That's terrible! Sometimes I think parents use people like you as unpaid babysitters. I see it all the time at my daughter's dance studio. They will leave kids there for hours when the kids don't have a class. Horrible!

mushroom Proficient

I'm asking the kids for tricks :blink: Some of them look at me kinda blankly (trick or treating is a bit new in NEW Zaland :P ) and then come up with something like, I've got toilet paper, or one showed me how he could make his thumb disappear by biting it off :unsure: -- but mostly I am just handing out candy, and we bought a kind we could nae eat ourselves so we are being liberal :lol:

sariesue Explorer

Due to the massive power outages in my area from last weeks snow storm Halloween was postponed until tonight. I offered to buy candy for my husband to give out, however he declined saying that we won't get any trick or treaters. Apparently his parents who live in the house behind us have never gotten any trick or treaters in the last decade. I think we might get one or two since our house is on the road while his parents house is not visable from the street. I get to go to work soon.

Archived