This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Protein Drinks?

waterlily-

waterlily- Explorer

I need more protein in my diet as I'm depressed & tired all the time. (this goes mostly away if I've had a lot of meat) Besides general health I want to start working out as well so I'm going to need more protein for that. Are there some good powdered protein drinks (or whatever you call them) that are gluten-free, you can mix into other drinks or just eat by itself & not ridiculously expensive? I'm a bit lost of what exactly I need to look for so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Actually, I am a firm believer in protein shakes. I used to bodybuild and as a female it is very hard to gain muscle from a regualr diet. The added protein will aslo help repair your body, and I hope it does give you the added energy you need. Look at your ingredients list. I don't know if you can only avoid gluten, but whey is fine as long as you are not dairy intolerant. Besides shakes with fruit, ice and yogurt thru a blender I would also put whey protein into baked goods. Some taste better than others, some can be a bit grainy. I would buy the vanilla and then blend in what I wanted to get favor. Another energy zapper is lack of iron and B12 in your diet so make sure that's good as well. Good luck to you!

waterlily- Explorer

Thank you. :]

• 2 weeks later...
LCrutch Newbie

Do you have a specific protein shakes/powder you prefer and know that are gluten-free?

Reba32 Rookie

I think you just have to shop around really. It all depends on if you also have any other food sensitivities like dairy, or soy intolerance. I use an organic whey protein mix, that is unflavoured so I can flavour it as my tastebuds desire. Lately I've been making pumpkin smoothies :)

If you google "gluten free protein mix" I'm sure you'll find a bunch that you can try. Or check with your local health food store, or gluten free aisle at the grocery store.

Iornsman Newbie

Thank you. :]

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein is gluten free in most flavors (avoid cookies & cream). I use Double Rich Chocolate without any issues. You can find it on bodybuilding.com or amazon.

glutenfreemamax2 Enthusiast

I hate trying to do things on my phone!!

Tell me about the pumpkin smoothie... What do you put in it? Sounds yummy! I live pumpkin and have a smoothie for breakfast every morning. Strawberry banana is getting old :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

I put 2 tablespoons of plain pumpkin mash (fresh or canned, but NOT pumpkin pie mix), 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, 4 oz of coconut milk, some shaved ice (my blender doesn't crush ice at all!) and 1/2 tsp of sweetener of some sort. Mix it in the blender and enjoy :)

• 2 months later...
jeanzdyn Apprentice

I put 2 tablespoons of plain pumpkin mash (fresh or canned, but NOT pumpkin pie mix), 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, 4 oz of coconut milk, some shaved ice (my blender doesn't crush ice at all!) and 1/2 tsp of sweetener of some sort. Mix it in the blender and enjoy :)

That sounds good, I will try it. Thank you for sharing!

Sarah P Rookie

If you are looking for a good gluten free protein drink you should check out Arbonne. You have to order it online, but I love it. All of Arbonne

• 2 weeks later...
WinterSong Community Regular

I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet either, so I decided to drink a small protein shake every morning before breakfast and whenever else during the day that I felt like I was lacking. I use Vanilla Brown Rice protein powder. A small spoonful mixed in water is only about 55 calories and 12 grams of protein, so I don't use it as a meal replacement. I want to get nutrients out of other foods, too.

It's gluten free, vegan, low in sugar, and contains no egg, milk, yeast, soy or corn. I find it much easier to digest than other protein drinks. It's not the tastiest (though it's better than the chocolate flavor), but when I'm only drinking a small amount and eating a delicious meal on top of it, I think it's pretty good trade off for the protein content.

It's pretty cheap on amazon. $26 for 3 pounds.

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/NUTRIBIOTIC-VEGAN-RICE-PROTEIN-Vanilla/dp/B00014DLC4

Hope this helps!

WinterSong Community Regular

Huh. Apparently the forum deleted the link. Oh well. Search amazon for Nutribiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder Vanilla and you'll find it.

BarryC Collaborator

I use protein drinks myself-they are filling and can help in slimming. Since I dont eat much fruit I usually put some in a protein smothie. I found that whey gives me bloating, maybe because of the lack of enzymes. Try a different type such as pumpkin seed. Also you get what you pay for

Archived