Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOWNskater52

I Suspect I Am Gluten Intolerant. Any Advice?

I looked at the ingredients before I bought it and it was chocked full of a bunch of crazy preservatives I couldn't even begin to pronounce. It said gluten free on the back so I picked it up.

What I'm hoping is that my body's endocrine and neurological systems are just trying to get back to homeostasis. My eczema is still doing wayy better than when it started and my dandruff is getting better.

Those crazy things you can't pronounce may be what you're reacting to. Write those ingredients in your journal. Figure out what they are - MSG, etc. Next time it happens, did you eat the same stuff???

This is how you figure it out.

Here's the I can't cook version. Just remember, if you make this either way, you can make extras.

Boneless chicken, boil in Kitchen Basics chicken broth with little pieces of carrots ( thickly shredded will cook the best & you can sometimes get a bag of shredded) & onion ( can get Ore Ida frozen chopped). Boil until chicken is cooked. Take chicken out and cut or shred up & put back in. Make 10 minute rice using chicken broth or veggie broth instead of water. Mix.

Even easier: microwave boneless chicken until cooked. Cut up. Make 10 minute rice with chicken broth or boullion. Heat up a bag of mixed frozen veggies in chicken broth. Mix them all together & add as much chicken broth as you like. We don't like ours very soupy.

Sounds delicious. I'll try it this weekend while watching football. Thanks you guys.

I know I will get better. I just can't give up. I was feeling my pulse in my hands and frets so I just checked my BP, pulse, and heart rhythm(I have a badass machine from the cardiologist) and I was at 119/75, 63bpm and a perfect heart rhythm. I just don't get it. Ugh

Starting to experience some neurological symptoms now. Some dizziness, some confusion, overall weird feeling. I've been reading that this could be normal so I'm gonna ride it out.

I read your orginal post. My sitaution is amazingly similiar to your and I think you will be able to identify. I was in ER last Feb, heart was doing crazy things, blood pressure was high (never had high blood pressure) but docs could not find out what was wrong and that's where my journey began.

Low and behold, the culprit was a herbal liver cleanse! Not only were the herbs too much and my body was reacting but it actually did work and so I went thru a vicious detox. I was sick, sick, sick. Stomach was on fire, several of my organs swelled, I was passing small stones as I was not able to get enough hydration on the herbs and they ended up forming crystals in my kidneys. I was a mess!

After test and more tests and not getting better, docs unable to tell me anything except that I had to wiat this out and let the herbs get out of my body, I had someone suggest I try going off glutens to see if I would get better. At this point I figured I had nothing to lose. BINGO! I was shocked myself.

So basically what has come of this in 8 months time is that the detox unvieled my underlying health issues. Thru all the tests docs were able to see that I had bone loss, my body was very deficient on vit and minerals and there was improvement by going gluten-free.

Like you, I was having a terrible time with dizziness, confusion, my feet were tingly and hot, my vision was messed up, I was weak (had been a jogger and lifted weights), so this was crazy. I got a copy of my bloodwork and I started looking up every low mark, found out what they were and then linked them to a vit deficiency. I started supplementing in June. I have been on gluten-free diet since April. Cleaned up my act and do not eat any grains unless it is corn, rice or gluten-free oats. I read all labels, Cleaned up my kitchen, no more cooking spray, no marinades. Do not use the pasta strainer, wooden spoons, or toaster. Lots and lots of mistakes but I have finally manged to go almost 5 weeks without any glutena nd I can tell you I FEEL NEARLY NORMAL RIGHT NOW.

I could not have gotten this far if I had not supplemented though, and if your body is showing signs of nuerpathy you really need to read more. It was not my doc who told me I was deficient, he never said a word to me about my test. I saw it for myself when I asked for a copy of my labs. I would hope this would not happen to anyone else but there are others on this forum who have had the same thing happen to them.

I was dignosed with celaic 7 months after my ER trip. The way I see it, is my liver is like that of a child and my system is extremly senative and I wonder if this to has happened to you. I also cannot eat high fructose, any of the gums like guar gum, kelp makes me sick. I avoid dairy and spice.

You mentioned a burning stomach, if it is not gone, you need to protect it. It took me 5 months on Nexium to heal. I also went to a low acidic diet as that is what the burning is from, acid. Besides the Nexium, I was also doing shots of Pepto to keep my stomach coated. I no longer do that but all that saved me. If you still having the issues you would benefit from staying away from soda, coffee, black tea, dairy and spice.

What are your neuro issues? Dizziness and mental clarity will go away on a strict gluten-free diet. Any hot feet? muscle spasms? crawling sensations on skin? vision issues? bone pain?

It is interesting that AVR mentioned the necessiity of keeping her stomach coated. I had this experience also. When I suffered dyspepsia (for want of a better term :P ) I would treat my stomach in one of two ways, depending on how I was feeling: either coat it with homemade yogurt to soothe it, or... sear it :unsure: with neat scotch to shock it. Both these methods (not in conjunction though) got me through some horrible nights. :rolleyes:

I read your orginal post. My sitaution is amazingly similiar to your and I think you will be able to identify. I was in ER last Feb, heart was doing crazy things, blood pressure was high (never had high blood pressure) but docs could not find out what was wrong and that's where my journey began.

Low and behold, the culprit was a herbal liver cleanse! Not only were the herbs too much and my body was reacting but it actually did work and so I went thru a vicious detox. I was sick, sick, sick. Stomach was on fire, several of my organs swelled, I was passing small stones as I was not able to get enough hydration on the herbs and they ended up forming crystals in my kidneys. I was a mess!

After test and more tests and not getting better, docs unable to tell me anything except that I had to wiat this out and let the herbs get out of my body, I had someone suggest I try going off glutens to see if I would get better. At this point I figured I had nothing to lose. BINGO! I was shocked myself.

So basically what has come of this in 8 months time is that the detox unvieled my underlying health issues. Thru all the tests docs were able to see that I had bone loss, my body was very deficient on vit and minerals and there was improvement by going gluten-free.

Like you, I was having a terrible time with dizziness, confusion, my feet were tingly and hot, my vision was messed up, I was weak (had been a jogger and lifted weights), so this was crazy. I got a copy of my bloodwork and I started looking up every low mark, found out what they were and then linked them to a vit deficiency. I started supplementing in June. I have been on gluten-free diet since April. Cleaned up my act and do not eat any grains unless it is corn, rice or gluten-free oats. I read all labels, Cleaned up my kitchen, no more cooking spray, no marinades. Do not use the pasta strainer, wooden spoons, or toaster. Lots and lots of mistakes but I have finally manged to go almost 5 weeks without any glutena nd I can tell you I FEEL NEARLY NORMAL RIGHT NOW.

I could not have gotten this far if I had not supplemented though, and if your body is showing signs of nuerpathy you really need to read more. It was not my doc who told me I was deficient, he never said a word to me about my test. I saw it for myself when I asked for a copy of my labs. I would hope this would not happen to anyone else but there are others on this forum who have had the same thing happen to them.

I was dignosed with celaic 7 months after my ER trip. The way I see it, is my liver is like that of a child and my system is extremly senative and I wonder if this to has happened to you. I also cannot eat high fructose, any of the gums like guar gum, kelp makes me sick. I avoid dairy and spice.

You mentioned a burning stomach, if it is not gone, you need to protect it. It took me 5 months on Nexium to heal. I also went to a low acidic diet as that is what the burning is from, acid. Besides the Nexium, I was also doing shots of Pepto to keep my stomach coated. I no longer do that but all that saved me. If you still having the issues you would benefit from staying away from soda, coffee, black tea, dairy and spice.

What are your neuro issues? Dizziness and mental clarity will go away on a strict gluten-free diet. Any hot feet? muscle spasms? crawling sensations on skin? vision issues? bone pain?

My neuro issues right now has been dizziness and trouble focusing. If I turn my head too fast or get up too quickly I will get like a burst of dizziness. I have had two full vitamin panels in the past year and they have all come back ok (I've seen the results first hand). My doctor belives it is closer related to my adrenal fatigue and that my hormones are off balance. I am still supplementing though with an awesome multivitamin and probiotic that are gluten and casein free.

Unfortunately I cannot take Nexium, Prilosec, or any other PPI on the market. Those drugs are what got me super sick in the first place. I nearly died from Prilosec and would rather be dead than try it again.

I know one thing for sure is that I am definitely doing something wrong. My stomach has been uneasy and growling since I woke up this morning. It sounds very unhappy. My acid reflux last night was ridiculous. Woke up this morning with a burnt throat like I do every morning. I am going to be switching up my diet tomorrow. I am going to be eating plain organic chicken breast, with carrots or broccoli for every meal until I figure out what I have a problem with. If I had to eat this for every meal for the rest of my life in order to feel back to normal again, I would be thrilled.

I just think my smoothie is messing with me. I don't know whether it is the strawberry, kale, or banana thats causing my problem but I tried just eating that smoothie for a few days and I'm certainly not feeling any better.

The thing about this is that the first say 5 days of going gluten free I was feeling pretty damn good. My eczema on my foot was clearing up (its still cleared up about 85% but stuck there), the heart pounding had greatly diminished (its back now, granted not as hard as before my gluten-free diet), acid reflux/indigestion/regurgitation was low (now back in full force), I developed detox rashes, and my stool had turned into one of the detox colors (green) showing that my body was flushing.

Now I feel like I am back to square one if not worse. It is definitely something I'm eating. I hope my new organic super diet can help... :(

"I am going to be eating plain organic chicken breast, with carrots or broccoli for every meal until I figure out what I have a problem with."

The plain chicken (as long as it was not precooked in a deli) is good and so would a steak or homemade burger for variety as are the cooked carrots. You might want to switch the broccoli out with something like peas or well cooked beans though for a bit as the broccoli can be hard to digest.

You don't want to eat just that though. Add in a sweet or regular baked potatoe for some carbs. They are easy to do just either wash then butter the skin and wrap in foil and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until when you lift the potato a short way off the rack it slips off. You can also nuke one after pricking with a fork for 5 minutes or so then finish up in the oven. Minute rice is quick and safe if you prefer the instant variety.

You also want to have a bit of variety so go with something like buckwheat cereal or gluten free toast and pnut butter in the morning and a glass of a mild juice.

If you need ideas for easy whole food stuff that is easy to digest please feel free to ask. I seem to remember you saying you haven't done a lot of cooking so don't worry about asking for tips or cooking directions.

Thanks Ravenwoodglass,

I really appreciate all the help. God knows I need it.

I have a question about the carrots. I've noticed that I've had trouble digesting carrots (chunks can appear in the stool). What does this mean?

Are they raw carrots? Cook them.

You need to try digestive enzymes with each meal to help your body break down your food. Right now your body just can't do it alone.

Also, stick with easy to digest foods - like potatoes, rice mentioned above.

And stay away from those smoothies. Eat whole pieces of fruit if you want fruit, and always mix a fruit with a protein.

Try making that soup, and eat it a few times a day. It should soothe your stomach.

So I just got back from my natural doctor's assistant's appointment. Maybe once every two weeks I go there and do a food diary, where I lay out everything I eat and she critiques it. She is super smart and training to take over my holistic doctor's profession. Knows a ton about the body (and she is super hot). She wants me to go vegetarian but there is no way I can do that. She recommended I get a steamer for steaming veggies so today I'm going by walmart or whole foods to grab one. I also asked her about gluten being stored in your system and she said that isn't possible so she sort of contridicted my doctor. She also mentioned they had testing for certain types of intolerances and allergies. So next time I see my natural doctor I'm going to get the works (vitamin panel, adrenal checkup, intolerance test).

Just had a plain organic chicken breast for lunch today. Prob going to steam some veggies tonight or boil up some rice for dinner.

I hope I am doing the right thing. I hope this throat tightness, heartburn, pounding heart, and strange allergies go away.

By the sounds of it all your stomach is not only having trouble digesting but it is full of acid. It's a good thing you are speaking with a dietician. Stay away from all acidic foods. You do need to find some way to coat the stomach. If you are not eating dairy, and I personally would not suggest it right now, I hope there is something you can take that won't make you sick. The acid not only will do more harm to the stomach if you don't protect it, but it can burn holes in your esophagus. You really need to the protein to repair your system but proteinds are hard to digest and that's probably why you were given the advise to stick to veggies. I would suggest boiling up a chicken and saving that broth to boil down your veggies. If you eat the chicken stick to less than 4 ounces per meal.

I just wanted to add...it seems like spices are really bothering me all of a sudden? I had pumpkin pie made with crushed gluten-free ginger snaps for the crust and it tore me up. Seven hours later I was sleeping and burped it up all the way to my nose. It stung like mad! I ate a few Tums and found I couldn't lay down flat or it came up again. I got several pillows and slept sort of propped up.

LOWNskater..you said your throat burns in the morning? Maybe you should try elevating the head of your bed or use several pillows so you're not laying flat? I found it makes a big difference. It keeps the reflux from going into the throat.

In my case..I think it's salycylates(sp?)that's giving me trouble.

Prob going to steam some veggies tonight or boil up some rice for dinner.

I hope I am doing the right thing. I hope this throat tightness, heartburn, pounding heart, and strange allergies go away.

I hope they do too.

Do you have a rice cooker? I often do some rice in the bottom of the cooker and steam veggies on the top. Quick and little prep other than rinsing the rice and cutting up the veggies if I am using fresh and not single ingredient frozen. If you don't have one you may want to pick one up. They aren't real expensive and they come in real handy and come with a recipe book to use for ideas.

Just picked up a steam cooker from Walmart and steamed some organic broccoli from Whole Foods. It was delicious. Gonna try and bake a potato tonight.

Stomach is a little upset I guess. It's gurgling a little bit. It definitely feels more like my stomach rather than my intestine area. While I was at Whole Foods I picked up a thing of organic lemonade an drank it. It's had a ton of cane sugar in it. Just makes me feel a little uneasy. When will I learn.

What does a rice cooker do? I saw that at walmart too; cost like 20 bucks. How is it different from just boiling rice?

Just picked up a steam cooker from Walmart and steamed some organic broccoli from Whole Foods. It was delicious. Gonna try and bake a potato tonight.

Stomach is a little upset I guess. It's gurgling a little bit. It definitely feels more like my stomach rather than my intestine area. While I was at Whole Foods I picked up a thing of organic lemonade an drank it. It's had a ton of cane sugar in it. Just makes me feel a little uneasy. When will I learn.

What does a rice cooker do? I saw that at walmart too; cost like 20 bucks. How is it different from just boiling rice?

Hon...you are only listening to about 25% of anyone's advice. And doing things guaranteed to make a sensitive stomach burn. Acidic things like lemonade on an empty stomach will burn. Broccoli is one of the most gas causing veggies.

The rice cooker allows you to cook the rice in the bottom and steam the veggies and or leftover meat in the top at the same time.

You should be going with easier to digest veggies than broccoli and be eating more balanced meals. Have a carb and some protein with that veggie. That will help keep your blood sugar stable.

This food chart says lemons and broccoli are both alkalinizing. Is the cane sugar acidic? http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

I'm gonna have a baked potato right now. I had a protien for lunch (baked chicken breast). Is that good enough to keep my blood sugar stable.

And does anybody else get tingling in their face an throat a while after eating. It used to come and go rarely but now it's becoming more frequent. Annoying

I don't know about changing your body ph. I'm just saying that things like citrus irritate your stomach, especially with out a lot of other things in it. Thus, your burning stomach.

As for trying to keep your blood sugar level....are you kidding? Maybe you should read up about that if you think that is an issue. Eating only carbs for a meal? Eating only protein for another......

Lownskater,

Are you from FL or GA?

Does your family cook rice in a pot?

I ask because of your reaction to a rice cooker...my family is from LA and I cook rice in a pot. Can't tell you how many people don't know how to do it and lift the lid to look in!

Anyway, the rice cooker is great if you are cooking fast, but quite frankly I hate the things. Just make your rice as usual, cook your veggies in a pot :).

And you've got to stop eating high acid/high sugar foods until you get a grip on your stomach!

I was born and raised in the dirty Duval county (AKA Jacksonville,fl) and I still call this town my home. Yeah we cook our rice in a pot. Ive never even ward of a rice cooker until you mentioned it.

Lots of questions. Any special way you cook rice? What kind of veggies should I mix with my rice? I would love something I can make a bunch of at once.

I'm quitting the kale, banana, strawberry smoothie for now. Nit really sure what I am going to replace breakfast with but lunch with just be plain chicken breast and rice while dinner will be steamed veggies and a baked potato indefinitely. No more lemonade slip ups like today either.

Gonna keep taking my multi vitamin and probiotic daily.

P.s. Louisiana is cool. I love the Swamp People show

1/2 cup rice, 1 cup of water, some salt and cover with lid. Bring to boil, turn to low simmer, cook 15-20 mins. Turn off and let steam. You have to cook it real low or it will burn and stick to the bottom. Or put a little extra water in - you can always take lid off and let it steam off at the end. Things that go well with rice - green onions, carrots, swiss chard (I know, you probably haven't eaten it before :o ) , bok choy. Chop the green onions fine, you can grate the carrot, chop the swiss chard and/or boy choy and set everything to steam in a sieve strainer over the top of the rice, or dump them all lin the rice :lol: Cook up a chicken breast and you can add some shredded chicken to the steamer too and you have a one-pot meal. Easy peasy! Add anything else that takes your fancy - green peas for example- easy to keep a bag of those in the freezer.