This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gravy Poll

Jestgar

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jestgar Rising Star

I have a niece who think s giblets are disgusting so I thought I'd ask around to get other people's opinions.

When my sil does thanksgiving our gravy options are gut-free and gluten-free. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Just the liver, in this house. The heart and stomach are kinda icky.

Skylark Collaborator

In my family, the giblets didn't ever make it as far as gravy. The neck and giblets were our Thanksgiving appetizer while the rest of the turkey was still cooking. B) They do make very good gravy if you have the self-control to not snarf them down immediately.

IrishHeart Veteran

In our house, the giblets and liver are simmered gently, diced and...served to Bella, the cat---- for her Thanksgiving feast. :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

In my family, we use some of the giblets for the gravy....and give the rest to Bella, Hunter, and Pogo (our extended kitty family).

ElseB Contributor

Giblets = GROSS!!! Although my husband loves them so we make one gravy with and one without.

IrishHeart Veteran

In my family, we use some of the giblets for the gravy....and give the rest to Bella, Hunter, and Pogo (our extended kitty family).

I see you have a Bella, too :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Giblets = GROSS!!! Although my husband loves them so we make one gravy with and one without.

I think that's very sweet....his and her gravy. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

our gravy options are gut-free and gluten-free. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

clever thread...thanks for the giggles

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yes. IrishHeart, I have a Bella, too! And she's a special kitty: She can detect when my breast cancer returns. She's been right twice in the past year...and my oncologist refers to her daily sniffings of me as "cat scans." Thank goodness, she's only six years old--I want her to live a nice, long life...and to help me live one, too.

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes. IrishHeart, I have a Bella, too! And she's a special kitty: She can detect when my breast cancer returns. She's been right twice in the past year...and my oncologist refers to her daily sniffings of me as "cat scans." Thank goodness, she's only six years old--I want her to live a nice, long life...and to help me live one, too.

WOW...That is one amazing cat!!! (cat scans :lol: purrfect) Here's to a long and healthy life for both of you!

I guess I could say the same about my Bella. She came to us in a most unusual way when I was very sick (pre-DX)and even though we "saved her", she sort of saved me, too. It's a long story for another day, another post. :)

okay, sorry guys.....back to the important gravy discussion at hand.:lol:

and Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone! :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

OMG, IrishHeart! Please share your story (even if it's on another thread)! I saved my Bella as a kitten from a shelter just a month before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. She started to act "weird" between the time I had my biopsy in November and the surgery in January. During that time, my cancer had become invasive....and, apparently, she detected it. Now, she exhibits the same behavior when the cancer returns (only when it has become invasive). Yes, sometimes we save their lives...and they save ours. I would love to hear your particular "Bella story."

IrishHeart Veteran

OMG, IrishHeart! Please share your story (even if it's on another thread)! I saved my Bella as a kitten from a shelter just a month before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. She started to act "weird" between the time I had my biopsy in November and the surgery in January. During that time, my cancer had become invasive....and, apparently, she detected it. Now, she exhibits the same behavior when the cancer returns (only when it has become invasive). Yes, sometimes we save their lives...and they save ours. I would love to hear your particular "Bella story."

I told it on a thread someone posted about our animals....I'll look around and send you a link. :)

found it! cute kitty stories

rosetapper23 Explorer

Thanks, IrishHeart--the stories warmed my heart....

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks, IrishHeart--the stories warmed my heart....

:)

jerseyangel Proficient

When my sil does thanksgiving our gravy options are gut-free and gluten-free. :D

:P Gut free

Nope--can't stand giblets in gravy. I do take all the innards, simmer in water with an onion, celery, and carrot and use that broth when I make the gravy.

Lisa Mentor

:P Gut free

Nope--can't stand giblets in gravy. I do take all the innards, simmer in water with an onion, celery, and carrot and use that broth when I make the gravy.

You do realize Patti, that's SERIOUS cross contamination. The ick factor will transfer to your gravy! :blink:B):D

jerseyangel Proficient

You do realize Patti, that's SERIOUS cross contamination. The ick factor will transfer to your gravy! :blink:B):D

:P I know--sounds odd but I like the flavor but not the chunks. Can not stand biting into something liver-y.

Jestgar Rising Star

:P I know--sounds odd but I like the flavor but not the chunks. Can not stand biting into something liver-y.

:lol: :lol:

Got a fresh turkey yesterday at Costco. Going to Mom's for TG so I cooked my turkey today. Boiled the innards to make juice for some rice, but gave the liver to the kitties. I like the flavor of the rest, but the liver texture is just nasty. sickbyc.gif

jerseyangel Proficient

Going to Mom's for TG so I cooked my turkey today.

Made mine today too--we're going to friends' house for Turkey Day. Gots me dinner all packed up in the freezer.

lovegrov Collaborator

Giblets are essential.

richard

IrishHeart Veteran

This is what I have done too, Patti. Make the broth by simmering the innards and use it for gravy stock. But as I have said....then, they go to the cat. I think it is more of a texture thing for us...blech. yet, I love pate....

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol: :lol:

Got a fresh turkey yesterday at Costco. Going to Mom's for TG so I cooked my turkey today. Boiled the innards to make juice for some rice, but gave the liver to the kitties. I like the flavor of the rest, but the liver texture is just nasty. sickbyc.gif

DITTO and I'm with you, kiddo.... :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol: :lol: :lol: ick factor CC

Archived