Rate this topic

11 members have voted

1. 1. Giblets in the gravy?

• Excellent!
    • Edible........
    • Eeeeewwww!!!

I have a niece who think s giblets are disgusting so I thought I'd ask around to get other people's opinions.

When my sil does thanksgiving our gravy options are gut-free and gluten-free. :D

Just the liver, in this house. The heart and stomach are kinda icky.

In my family, the giblets didn't ever make it as far as gravy. The neck and giblets were our Thanksgiving appetizer while the rest of the turkey was still cooking. B) They do make very good gravy if you have the self-control to not snarf them down immediately.

In our house, the giblets and liver are simmered gently, diced and...served to Bella, the cat---- for her Thanksgiving feast. :)

In my family, we use some of the giblets for the gravy....and give the rest to Bella, Hunter, and Pogo (our extended kitty family).

Giblets = GROSS!!! Although my husband loves them so we make one gravy with and one without.

In my family, we use some of the giblets for the gravy....and give the rest to Bella, Hunter, and Pogo (our extended kitty family).

I see you have a Bella, too :)

Giblets = GROSS!!! Although my husband loves them so we make one gravy with and one without.

I think that's very sweet....his and her gravy. :)

our gravy options are gut-free and gluten-free. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

clever thread...thanks for the giggles

Yes. IrishHeart, I have a Bella, too! And she's a special kitty: She can detect when my breast cancer returns. She's been right twice in the past year...and my oncologist refers to her daily sniffings of me as "cat scans." Thank goodness, she's only six years old--I want her to live a nice, long life...and to help me live one, too.

Yes. IrishHeart, I have a Bella, too! And she's a special kitty: She can detect when my breast cancer returns. She's been right twice in the past year...and my oncologist refers to her daily sniffings of me as "cat scans." Thank goodness, she's only six years old--I want her to live a nice, long life...and to help me live one, too.

WOW...That is one amazing cat!!! (cat scans :lol: purrfect) Here's to a long and healthy life for both of you!

I guess I could say the same about my Bella. She came to us in a most unusual way when I was very sick (pre-DX)and even though we "saved her", she sort of saved me, too. It's a long story for another day, another post. :)

okay, sorry guys.....back to the important gravy discussion at hand.:lol:

and Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone! :)

OMG, IrishHeart! Please share your story (even if it's on another thread)! I saved my Bella as a kitten from a shelter just a month before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. She started to act "weird" between the time I had my biopsy in November and the surgery in January. During that time, my cancer had become invasive....and, apparently, she detected it. Now, she exhibits the same behavior when the cancer returns (only when it has become invasive). Yes, sometimes we save their lives...and they save ours. I would love to hear your particular "Bella story."

OMG, IrishHeart! Please share your story (even if it's on another thread)! I saved my Bella as a kitten from a shelter just a month before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. She started to act "weird" between the time I had my biopsy in November and the surgery in January. During that time, my cancer had become invasive....and, apparently, she detected it. Now, she exhibits the same behavior when the cancer returns (only when it has become invasive). Yes, sometimes we save their lives...and they save ours. I would love to hear your particular "Bella story."

I told it on a thread someone posted about our animals....I'll look around and send you a link. :)

found it! cute kitty stories

Thanks, IrishHeart--the stories warmed my heart....

:)

When my sil does thanksgiving our gravy options are gut-free and gluten-free. :D

:P Gut free

Nope--can't stand giblets in gravy. I do take all the innards, simmer in water with an onion, celery, and carrot and use that broth when I make the gravy.

:P Gut free

Nope--can't stand giblets in gravy. I do take all the innards, simmer in water with an onion, celery, and carrot and use that broth when I make the gravy.

You do realize Patti, that's SERIOUS cross contamination. The ick factor will transfer to your gravy! :blink:B):D

You do realize Patti, that's SERIOUS cross contamination. The ick factor will transfer to your gravy! :blink:B):D

:P I know--sounds odd but I like the flavor but not the chunks. Can not stand biting into something liver-y.

:P I know--sounds odd but I like the flavor but not the chunks. Can not stand biting into something liver-y.

:lol: :lol:

Got a fresh turkey yesterday at Costco. Going to Mom's for TG so I cooked my turkey today. Boiled the innards to make juice for some rice, but gave the liver to the kitties. I like the flavor of the rest, but the liver texture is just nasty. sickbyc.gif

Going to Mom's for TG so I cooked my turkey today.

Made mine today too--we're going to friends' house for Turkey Day. Gots me dinner all packed up in the freezer.

Giblets are essential.

richard

This is what I have done too, Patti. Make the broth by simmering the innards and use it for gravy stock. But as I have said....then, they go to the cat. I think it is more of a texture thing for us...blech. yet, I love pate....

:lol: :lol:

Got a fresh turkey yesterday at Costco. Going to Mom's for TG so I cooked my turkey today. Boiled the innards to make juice for some rice, but gave the liver to the kitties. I like the flavor of the rest, but the liver texture is just nasty. sickbyc.gif

DITTO and I'm with you, kiddo.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ick factor CC