This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fast Food

DonnaMM

DonnaMM Explorer

So I heard some where McDonald's fries were gluten free I tried it and they lost certaintly are not. Tried burger king burger without the bun, yet another reaction. Anyone have any luck with any fast food places. I do a good job of avoiding those places but sometimes I am out all day and need something. Is anything safe or should I stay away all together?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

Awww, so sorry! I think McDonald's fries are NOTORIOUS in THIS community for not being gluten-free, altho McD's will tell you otherwise, quoting such miniscule numbers after the cooking, etc. McD's doesn't have a clue about cross-contamination either. As doesn't most fast food places. I DO eat Wendy's salt fries...they are DELISH. And Jimmy John's sandwiches are great about changing their gloves and doing lettuce wrap sammies. And Subway is in the process of coming out with gluten-free bread in several test markets but its not out for the general public. They WILL change their gloves and do their salads with any of the sandwich fixings for you, tho. I've found it depends on each individual Subway, tho, how caring and in the know they are about gloves, cross-contamination, etc. As a whole...fast food is just not very friendly to us. It saves ME alot of money, lol.

Duhlina Apprentice

So I heard some where McDonald's fries were gluten free I tried it and they lost certaintly are not. Tried burger king burger without the bun, yet another reaction. Anyone have any luck with any fast food places. I do a good job of avoiding those places but sometimes I am out all day and need something. Is anything safe or should I stay away all together?

I've been avoiding them altogether but I've heard Wendy's chili is safe, as are their baked potatoes.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Donna, Did you get those fries tested for Gluten??? CC can be an issue with our food most of the time.. Just last year I thought many gluten free foods had CC issues until I was treated for H PYLORI... I think my very low VITAMIN D contributed to the Big D issue too.. Just 9 weeks ago I stopped eating all fries, my favorite too.. I found myself eating way to many fries and many pounds have melted away...

DonnaMM Explorer

How can I test the fries on my own for gluten?

mamaw Community Regular

Many people are very sensitive to CC factors so many of those never eat out for that reason.. I understand it makes life harder but this does happen.

I recently found out the all or most all places change the oils together meaning if they have a dedicated fryer when the oil gets changed it also goes through with the other oils. So with that being said any sensitive person would have a reaction, I feel... I was shocked when I found this out...

I doalso eat at Wendy's burger no bun, baked potato, salad, chili, coffee, frosty.... Other than those items I wouldn't eat it...since they changed their fries to all natural they now are a no no for celiac people.. I do disagree with the poster who eats those all the time....I haven't searched Wendy's site for a long time but the fries may not be listed as gluten-free... You can check that out if you like to be sure..

A good practice to start is to carry a goodie box in your car /purse.. That way when you need gluten-free food you can go to your to go bag....protein bars ( love comfort bars-excellent) beef stick or jerky, seeds & nuts, chips, crackers, peanut butter paks, cookies, pretzels, & ect...Also good for other mishaps to have gluten-free food & water available at all times...

I have eaten the grilled chicken salaad from burger king, again not to say that it will be okay for everyone...

Not sure how long you have been gluten-free but if you are new to the gluten-free lifestyle you still may be healing & with that said its better to be a very clean eater & give your body a chance to heal....some healing can take several years for some people,

blessings

mamaw

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

How can I test the fries on my own for gluten?

It can be done;

My point is that many time we assume something contains Gluten... I forgot to mention that dairy was also a contributor to GI issues in my case...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

bring snacks in your bag or your car. fast food is not to be trusted. not to mention what they sell can hardly be called "food" at times...

sahm-i-am Apprentice

McDonald's says on their website that the French Fries contain wheat - they use natural beef flavoring that contains wheat starches)

Open Original Shared Link (scroll a ways down)

We eat happily at Wendy's (chili and baked potatoes and french fries but only if cooked in dedicated fryer -ask)

**I just checked Wendy's site and french fries are no longer listed as Gluten Free! Well, see - it is good to check before you head out. Thanks to someone earlier who posted that!

Chick-fil-a has grilled chicken patty and their french fries are gluten free. Their BBQ sauce is gluten-free.

Five Guys - hamburger w/no bun and french fries

That's what we survive on if we are traveling and I'm not prepared. BUT, I always travel with snacks. One time we were traveling through rural areas and there were NO places to eat but McD's and Burger King. Ugh! So, so bad to have nothing to eat and your daughter and you are starving. I think we ended up going to conv. store and getting a banana.

ALWAYS have snacks in car, purse, bookbag!

I've also created a little book of fast food places and what is safe to eat there. I update it every month or two, print out a new list and carry it with me. Just in case. We don't frequent fast food alot because honestly it isn't good for anybody's body, but it is nice to know what is safe in a pinch. I just go to company's websites and they have everything listed usually.

psawyer Proficient

The McDonalds fries question is one of the most discussed topics here.

The final product has been tested and found to contain no detectable gluten. Personally, I would be more concerned about the CC risk. Read the discussions here, and then make a personal decision about whether or not to eat the fries.

jswog Contributor

I've been avoiding them altogether but I've heard Wendy's chili is safe, as are their baked potatoes.

That's exactly what I get if I need to catch something quick when I'm out. I have them leave the potato whole (I could just see them using a dirty knife to cut it) and use a wrapped plastic fork to cut it and put the chili on top! Great, filling meal when I need something in a hurry.

lynnelise Apprentice

Wendy's fries are gluten free IF cooked in a dedicated fryer. All three Wendy's in my area use dedicated fryers thank goodness.

As for McDonald's I have just gotten brave enough to try them. So far I've had them twice with no reaction. I usually react pretty quickly.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

There are so many super long threads about McDonalds fries.

There isn't gluten in the fries. They have been tested by celiac organizations although I don't remember which ones. You always have to ask if they have a dedicated fryer. Some McD's do and some don't. The one near us has a dedicated fryer and my celiac son eats their fries with no problem.

For me, fries are just not important enough to risk it. We have In N Out but if you're not West Coast you won't have them. They don't fry anything but french fries and they are made with fresh potatoes and no other ingredients.

Again with Wendy's you have to ask if they have a dedicated fryer as well.

mamaw Community Regular

Please take note Wendy"s natural fries ARE NOT on their gluten free list.....The old fries were...

Separate fryer or not, they still are not on the gluten-free Wendy's list.. That should tell you something.....

Chad Sines Rising Star

I think you have to be resigned to the fact that NO fast food is gluten free unless it comes pre-packaged to them. They might be lower gluten or potentially gluten-free, but the cross contamination is there. The vats may be dedicated but often they are shared near closing or in the morning.

If you are one of those who react to cross contamination, then I would politely suggest that you give up all fast food unless it is an entirely gluten-free establishment.

Celtic Queen Explorer

I've had very good luck at Chick fil a. The two near my house have dedicated fryers. I usually get the grilled chicken salad with berry vinagrette dressing and a side order of their fries.

I've heard mixed things about the fries at Wendy's so I stay away from them. I'll opt for a baked potato and side salad with vinagrette dressing.

We were travelling the other night and ended up at Hardees. They have a low carb thickburger that's on a lettuce bun. It was really good and I didn't have any problems at all. But I checked my i-pad app and they didn't have gluten-free fries, so I got a salad instead.

McDonald's has kind of a bad history about lying about what's in their french fries. For years they claimed their fries were vegetarian. Turns out they used beef tallow in them so they weren't. As a result of that, I don't really trust them. Plus there's the cross contamination issue.

So far Chick fil a is the only one I'll trust for french fries.

Archived