roflcarl

University Cafeteria Help!

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, so I am trying to do Gluten Free but I have to eat at my University Cafe.

There is Grilled Chicken and I'm not sure if it is gluten free or not? Would that be something I would have to consult management about? Also, would sliced meat such as sliced turkey or roast beef have gluten or would I have to check with that as well? I know it is not organic.

Thanks so much!

Hey everyone, so I am trying to do Gluten Free but I have to eat at my University Cafe.

There is Grilled Chicken and I'm not sure if it is gluten free or not? Would that be something I would have to consult management about? Also, would sliced meat such as sliced turkey or roast beef have gluten or would I have to check with that as well? I know it is not organic.

Thanks so much!

Hi roflcarl,

In theory, plain meats don't have gluten *in* them. But they could certainly become cross contaminated by getting gluten ingredients *on* them. It would depend on how the kitchen was used. Do they grill the chicken on something that's also used to saute or cook breaded items? Is there any sort of dedicated area they place items that are intended to be kept gluten free? What utensils, tools, or cutting boards do they use? What flavorings might they be putting on the chicken, if any?

Because gluten contamination can come from very small of particles, these are very legitimate questions. You'll need to ask someone in the cafeteria (someone in charge of nutrition or of running the facility) if they have anything they could consider gluten free and ask about cross contamination risk. It's possible you may need to rethink the cafeteria option if they don't seem to have a good plan for gluten free items.

Hopefully, they have some handle on it and it will just take a few questions. If not, I'd find a way to eat somewhere else. It's your health!

Best of luck,

Erika

You've ABSOLUTELY got to find somebody connected with the dining halls to talk to. You cannot do this by guessing or by asking questions online. Even with help, the cross contamination will be difficult as will last-minute changes in ingredients.

richard

You also have to be careful about if the chicken is marinated in anything, like soy sauce. Many marinades and sauces contain gluten.

We don't know anything about your cafeteria. You need to check with them. Go to the cafeteria manager and the Director of food services.

• Upvote 1

I would think there would be too much Cross Contamination involved at the very least. Make your own lunches. They can be tasty too! Ask for a really nice Bento Box for Christmas because those lunch boxes are BOSS!

Happy Monday! B)

Through the Disability Act, the University needs to meet your dining requirements, if you are diagnosed with Celiac Disease. They also can offer you a designated area in the kitchen to prepare your own food, or prepare food that is suitable.

Check with your Student Services Director.

Through the Disability Act, the University needs to meet your dining requirements, if you are diagnosed with Celiac Disease. They also can offer you a designated area in the kitchen to prepare your own food, or prepare food that is suitable.

Check with your Student Services Director.

That's great info Lisa.

That's great info Lisa.

my college were providing me with food but kept feeding me rice over and over again. I got pretty sick of it so I just started buying alot of my food myself. Pretty stupid but it worked for me.