This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Auto Immune Diseases

bbdailey

bbdailey Explorer

Hey everyone I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos and suspect that I have Celiac as well. I was diagnosed with Hashis just with positive antibodys alone(APO-250_. My thyroid function is normal and I have read that just the presence of antibodies doesnt neccessarily mean Hashimotos. So my question is this: Could it be Celiac disease that caused the antibodies in the thyroid? Also what other autoimmune diseases could cause antibodies in the thyroid that I should be aware of?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, although I'm not an expert on autoimmune diseases, I think you're justified in suspecting Celiac. Other autoimmune conditions do often accompany Celiac, Hashimoto's being one of them. I think rheumatoid arthritis is another. But I'm not aware of any specific connection between other conditions and Hashimoto's or thyroid antibodies. Not that there isn't any, I simply haven't researched it, nor has such info turned up in any of the research I've done.

Perhaps a few Internet searches for the specific antibody will turn up references to the conditions which are known to cause it.

HTH

Korwyn Explorer

The book Recognizing Celiac Disease and Associated Complications is an excellent resource. There are over 300 associated disorders, diseases, and conditions that have been definitely or tentatively linked to celiac disease.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

The new train of thought is Hashis is caused by gluten intolerance....

twe0708 Community Regular

Hey everyone I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos and suspect that I have Celiac as well. I was diagnosed with Hashis just with positive antibodys alone(APO-250_. My thyroid function is normal and I have read that just the presence of antibodies doesnt neccessarily mean Hashimotos. So my question is this: Could it be Celiac disease that caused the antibodies in the thyroid? Also what other autoimmune diseases could cause antibodies in the thyroid that I should be aware of?

I had an overactive thyroid from ages 11 to about 14 and my body corrected itself on it's own. Now I have Celiac. Both my girls have thyroid problems, so I hope they don't get dx with Celiac down the road.

Do you mind if I ask if they put you on thyroid medicine? There are new levels out there for TSH levels that doctors aren't following, and if my doctor was to go by the new levels I would be considered as having an underactive (Hypo) thyroid. My results came back just over 3 so they aren't too high.

This is what I found:

This understanding led to the recommendation in January 2003, by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, that doctors "consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0."

Reba32 Rookie

both Hashimoto's and Celiac are auto-immune diseases. Once a person has one auto-immune, it is possible to develop more, and whether they are traditionally though to be "linked" is anybody's best guess. There are hundreds of them, to list them here would take up a few posts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

both Hashimoto's and Celiac are auto-immune diseases. Once a person has one auto-immune, it is possible to develop more, and whether they are traditionally though to be "linked" is anybody's best guess. There are hundreds of them, to list them here would take up a few posts!

Does Hashimoto's make your neck to look thick?

GFinDC Veteran

Does Hashimoto's make your neck to look thick?

Hasimoto's can make your neck appear thick. The antibodies attack the thyroid and that can cause swelling of the thyroid gland.

bbdailey Explorer

Twe0708 I was on thyroid medication a couple times. I was on it in july-aug and started to feel better but I had also cut out dairy and soy at the same time. I ended up stopping because I suddenly became very depressed for some reason so I stopped. After not feeling great off of the medication for a month I got back on the thyroid medication(50mcg levothyroxine) Today I decided to stop the medication again because I havent felt any better and probably feel a bit worse(along with some unwanted side effects) Im hoping that I was starting to feel better the first time due to the diet kicking in. I say this because my thyroid levels are all "normal". TSH was about 2 and FT3 and FT4 are in the normal ranges. There is no swelling in my neck and I am only a 23 year old male. So hopefully sticking to a strict diet will get me back to normal...

TBelle Newbie

Yeah if you have 1 Auto Immune they say you are likely to have 2 or 3 of them. My son has Dermatitis as well and my daughter has alopecia on top of the coeliac.

cahill Collaborator

Auto Immune Diseases ,what are common auto immune diseases to check for

This is a site that list celiac related diseases

Open Original Shared Link

beebs Enthusiast

The common ones are Diabetes type 1, hashis, sjogren's, RA, psoriasis, although having said that - it is possible to develop any of them really.

Archived