This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Teeth Issues

Nen

Nen Explorer

Those of you who are celiac, have you always been more prone to getting cavities or developing lots of plaque/tartar on the teeth? I have no clue if this might be related, or not, just wondering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

My teeth started self-destructing when I was 11 years old. They started to break, and I lost my first tooth at age 13. My son suffered the same fate--I had his teeth bonded from the time he was two years old. Every time a new tooth cleared his gums, I had it bonded....but he ended up with cavities when he was only three years old. The dentist told me, "He obviously has some type of auto-immune disease because his teeth are rotting from the inside out." Celiac can definitely be at the root of any tooth problems.

love2travel Mentor

There definitely is correlation! I have had weak enamel for ages and had no clue why so I just lived with it. On my last check up the dental hygienist informed me my enamel was far stronger and that my teeth were in excellent shape. That was a first. She gave me 9/10 and said she has never given a 10/10 and only a few 9/10 in a year. I was quite pleased! :D (At the time of my appointment I had been gluten free for six months.)

Roda Rising Star

Both my kids have quite a few cavities. The youngest son's 6 year molar came in with a cavity in it. He also has weak and defects in his enamel in his two permanant teeth he has. My oldest son had his 6 year molars sealed but developed a cavity in one of them too. I always have had great teeth. I got my first cavity, now that I think about it, after my youngest son was born. A year after is when I started having my percieved symtoms of celiac. I'm still lucky. I'm 39 and I only have three fillings.

Nen Explorer

Interesting to read, I have a mouth full of fillings, and that is with decent dental care (I've stepped it up over the last year including flossing and mouth rinse).

Metoo Enthusiast

(I have not been diagnosed with celiac)

I went 30 years and only had 1 filling in a baby tooth and 1 in an adult teeth.

Last year, which was my second year of really having stomach problems, I had over 8 cavities. My dentist was freaked out at the loss of enamel and decay and put my on a floride gel. Since then I have had 2 more.

I just went gluten free 5 weeks ago.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I should add that my dentist told me that my mother, son, and I all had teeth where the tooth buds hadn't formed properly in utero (all three of us have celiac). He explained that that was why our teeth basically fell apart from the inside out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

My dentist told me that the enamel on my teeth was almost non-existent...can you rebuild enamel?

Funny thing, she is also gluten-free and never mentioned a connection...

BearRJ Newbie

I am in the early stages of being diagnoised with Celiac's Disease. The only thing done so far is the blood work. I'm still a week later waiting for the results of those. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy after the first of the year. Anyway, I found this very interesting. I've always had trouble with my teeth from cavities, to gum issues, to enamle issues. I basically had none. My teeth were horrible no matter what I did. This past year I recently had all my top front teeth crowned. Because of such bad things going on, and they look so much better and I've actually smiled a lot more since I've had them done. I just found it interesting this connection between celiac and teeth. I have several other autoimmue diseases and after listening to my concerns/complaints my GI doctor suggested I be tested for Celiac Disease. Part of me will be happy to know what's really going on with me. The other part will be upset that it's been over looked all these years. I'm nervous though cause I've read so much about how blood work isn't all that reliable. I feel like though it's going to be positive with everything else I have going on. I didn't change anything on my diet prior to the test and I don't plan too until all test are completed. That's my game plan anyway.

Korwyn Explorer

Vitamin D deficiency, which seems to be one of the most common among Celiac has been shown repeatedly to contribute to tooth decay. Here is Open Original Shared Link referencing multiple information sources on this topic.

rosetapper23 Explorer

BearRJ,

What you need for a diagnosis of celiac is an endoscopy, NOT a colonoscopy! Hopefully, that's what you meant...

AVR1962 Collaborator

Oh my word, yes. You would not want to look in my mouth!

BearRJ Newbie

I imagine that will be done as well, but my guess is since my dad and grandparents have polyp issues that is why we are doing the colonoscopy. I will ask to have that done too the endoscopy. He may have a biopsy done on my rash as well in a few weeks. I imagine once this other stuff is done. The good thing is I will request to use my dermatologist for that. I have a good one and she's been monitoring my eczema and my rosceasa as well. Trust me I will follow up with the other test. I'm not afraid to ask about it. Thanks for the imput though.

jhuebner Newbie

Yes, we noticed a clue w/ our youngest son (Celiac Positive) ... etching on back side of his front teeth, from acit reflux. That was one of our first clues for him. His dentist noticed that @ ~11-12 yrs... he's 14 now.

jlh

twins66 Newbie

I'm new to the forum - today in fact! I had a blood test done about 6 months ago "small amount of gluten" not enough to refer me for an endoscopy and since then been treated for IBS! I did a self gluten free diet for 6 weeks and felt great - decided to do a re-test so I'm now 6 weeks into eating gluten again on a daily basis and feeling absolutely awful at the moment and what's drawn me to post here today is that I am having some real problems with my gums, have about 3 large ulcers giving me alot of pain and having read this thread I'm wondering now if my 10 year or so problems with my teeth and gums could be attributed to gluten!!! I'm going back to my docs soon with my food diary but will definately be bringing up my dental history too (currently waiting for my bottom front two middle teeth to fall out as my gums have receeded so badly and they're moving appart - sick of telling the dentist I dont smoke or drink red wine!!!) Does this make sense to anyone? Also had a huge reaction to pasta today almost straight after eating it I had stomach cramps which lasted a good 5-6 hours! Any comments you have will be really appreciated.

Archived